Aurora HDR 2019 crashes

Comments

10 comments

Matti Jaffe

Dave, I have encountered the same problem. alerted skylum and waiting for help. will work ok if u right click on aurora icon on "run with" - Graphic Processor. I also use the GForce - card. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Dave Vance

Thanks Matti... I will try this as soon as I get that far again; I tried to reinstall the software and now it crashes before it even comes up; the logs give a "file not found" error which support is looking at.  

Terry Rogers

Hi Dave,

Try reinstalling Aurora HDR 2019. Follow the steps below:

Uninstall Aurora.

How to uninstall an app on Windows 7:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2601726

How to uninstall an app on Windows 8:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/how-do-i-delete-or-uninstall-a-program-in-windows/a4cbeb29-2ca3-46f0-855f-ba5e8df2436c 

How to uninstall an app on Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028054/windows-10-repair-or-remove-programs 

Clear your registry:

• Visit https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download?pc
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the table and click Download from CCleaner.com in the first column.
    • Once the download has finished, launch the file and install CCleaner on your computer.
    • Launch CCleaner.
    • Click Registry on the left.
    • Click Scan for Issues in the lower left. Wait for the scan to finish.
    • After the scan has finished, click Fix Selected Issues in the lower right.
    • Close CCleaner.

Reboot your PC.

Download the latest version of Aurora from here:

https://aurorahdr2019win.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/Aurora2019_Setup.exe 

Once the installer has finished downloading, locate it in your Downloads folder (or wherever you chose to save it), right-click the file, and click Run As Administrator. A prompt might appear asking you whether you wish to confirm your action, click Yes and wait for the installer to load. Then, follow the instructions on screen.

Dave Vance

Thank you Terry; I just tried all those instructions.  I had actually done them already with the exception of cleaning the registry, so I did that too.  

Same result - Aurora "installs" but won't start (crashes immediately after double-click).  The install actually runs pretty fast and jumps almost immediately to "Removing backup files"; I suspect it's not installing required components.  

The Windows logs show the crash (I've sent them in Support reports) as an exception in KERNELBASE.dll; with details:

Application: Aurora HDR 2019.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly... <etc>

Kate Williams

@Dave, 

Please try the following solution: 

1. Download Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable here (click this text to open link). Select your preferred language, click Download, mark vcredist_x64.exe with a checkbox, and click Next to download it.
    2. Download Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable here (click this text to open link). Select your preferred language, click Download, mark vcredist_x64.exe with a checkbox, and click Next to download it.
    3. Download Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable here (click this text to open link). Download should begin automatically as soon as you click the link.
    4. Press the Windows key on your keyboard and type in Add or remove programs. Windows will suggest the matching app, open it.
    5. In the list of installed applications locate all entries that have Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable in the title and uninstall them one by one.
    6. In the list of installed applications locate all entries that have Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable in the title and uninstall them one by one.
    7. In the list of installed applications locate all entries that have Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable in the title and uninstall them one by one.
    8. Install the package you downloaded in Step 1.
    9. Install the package you downloaded in Step 2.
    10. Install the package you downloaded in Step 3.
    Michael Sojka

Very similar problem to Dave.  I am having Aurora HDR 2019 crashing problems in two scenarios:  1) after creating the HDR image from three bracketed exposures I use Luminar plugin to manipulate the image in Luminar and the Lumiar erase tool.  After pressing the Apply button which is supposed to reopen the now manipulated image back in Aurora, Aurora closes.  2) Opening a previously created auh file causes Aurora to crash/close.    I contacted tech support today and sent a couple event logs.   Using Windows 10.   

I tried the suggestion of running Aurora with my graphics card.  I have an integrated graphics option and Nividia graphics card.  I tried opening with each one and then opening the auh file.  The program crashed both times.  So, that isn't a fix in my case.   

I'll try running the Repair program in Windows next.  Did a long repair but program still crashes when opening an auh file.  It goes through the whole thing and all the messages until right at the end "When making my image awesome" then it closes/crashes.  Have tried opening several different auh files too.   

Tried  doing the full uninstall and cleaning registries routine and reinstalled running as administrator.  Still crashes when loading auh file at the "Final touches...." stage.   

Many hours later I am no better off.......... sigh    I am having second thoughts on this recent purchase despite liking the picture results.  And, my laptop is a recent vintage HP with a Nividia 940MX 2 GB memory and Intel Graphics HD 620 that has no issues with other programs - I have HP updating drivers automatically, Windows updating automatically and have Windows Defender fully implemented and everything runs pretty standard with nothing tweaked or non-standard.   

Also, found this other post about the same/similar problem.  Seems the crashing is related to cropping the photo before saving as an auh or cropping in Luminar before Apply and reimporting to Aurora.   I noticed my crops were getting jacked up when going from Luminar back to Aurora and now understand this bug a little better and the work-around.  Just do all crops post-saving in Aurora or editing in Luminar is what others are saying. I have done only limited testing which indicates this is the best workaround but have not fully confirmed independently.     https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360035228171-Aurora-HDR-2019-crashes-when-trying-to-load-a-auh-file?page=1#community_comment_360005510811

Dave Vance

Just to follow up, after several emails from Support the last thing I did was uninstalled Aurora, cleaned the registry and reinstalled the product.  It took longer to install this time and worked after install!  

I am guessing that my registry had a problem, but I had cleaned it before with no success. 

I did go through the instructions that Support posted here to uninstall and reinstall Visual C++ 2013/2015/2017, and I also along the way in trying different things upgraded my .NET Runtime to 4.8.  I don't know if any of those things helped fix the issue or not.  

I'm going to chalk this one up to an environment problem, as the Aurora package that I downloaded appears to be the same as the previous ones that had errors.  But for others, apologies I don't know precisely what environment problem it was!

Maryna Skylum

@Dave Vance

Great to hear everything is fine now!

Joe Joe

The app disappered with half an hour work. Why should I reinstall?? 

Helena Zaitseva

Joe,

Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help.

Please, note that profanity is prohibited on the Community Forum. We've edited your post, but in the future, due to the Community Rules, you might be blocked.

Please sign in to leave a comment.