New Luminar 3 Update - terrible

Comments

16 comments

Gary Richards

Same here. I cannot even load an image for quick PP. 

It has gone from bad to worse. I tried uninstalling the program and downloading from their website and it still does not work.

Comment actions Permalink
    Jef Gamblee

Having same issues. Followed the advice about clearing defaults using terminal.  Didn't help.

We are not amused.

Steven Raffin

When I open Luminar 3, the screen freezes at "Updating Image Gallery" and remains at 0%. I've tried rebooting the iMac and the app is still 100% unusable. I have to force quit it to do other work. What gives??? Very disappointed as I abandoned Affinity Photo to use Luminar. 

Ronald Skinner

I had to rename my catalog so it would boot up and then in let me add folders to the new catalog.  

JOHN CONBOY

I tried to update to the new version and my computer froze.  I force quit Luminar and retried.  It is just frozen.  I can not get it to load photos.  It is simply stuck.  I tried to reinstall without success.  It seems completely frozen and I have no clue how to proceed. Is this the end of my Luminar experiment?  Do I just give up and return to Lightroom?  

Ronald Skinner

Try ON1 editing software it works great, better than renting LR

Marcin Wilczynski

Hi there,

Can you help please?
    I have upgraded my Luminar last night to 3.1.0.
    After this Luminar was updating Library at restart for couple hours at 0 % and nothing happen.

Now I have blank screen, can’t open any picture, number / quantity of pictures are grey out on the right Side Panel, and 0 picture in the left top corner.
    I have tried to open it from backup (option key + start Luminar and Restore From Back Up) but no difference.

iMac 21.5 Late 2013, macOS Movae 10.14.4
    Luminar 3.1.0 (3588)

Can you advice?

Regards,
    Marcin

Anna Veres

Hi Everybody, 

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Please try the following: 

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.
    4. Start Luminar. Click File > Catalog > Open > navigate inside the folder you renamed in Step 3 > double-click Luminar Catalog.catalog file.

If the 4 steps above don't help:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.
    4. Open Finder.
    5. Navigate to Applications > Utilities.
    6. Launch Terminal.
    7. Paste the following string into the Terminal window: defaults delete com.macphun.luminar3
    8. Press Enter on your keyboard.
    9. Close Terminal.
    10. Launch Luminar. It will ask you to complete the initial setup. Go through the initial setup. Leave the location of the catalog at the default (in Pictures folder).

If the issue remains, please try reinstalling Luminar 3: 

Download AppCleaner from here:

http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner

AppCleaner is a free app that automatically removes not only the applications themselves but also the related files, making 'clean' uninstall easy.

When removing Luminar 3, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar3.

Once you're done uninstalling the app, restart your Mac and download a fresh version from here:

https://luminar3.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/mac/Luminar3Installer.zip

If you need help with the installation, check out this page:

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph25083?locale=en_US

Marcin Wilczynski

Hi Anna,

Thanks for your post.

2nd way helped, but only partially.

All pictures appeared but all seems like before the edit, all editions are gone.

I have tried to re-open from the Luminar backup (Option Key + Open Luminar and Restore from Backup) but had two issues:

1. When default Backup widow appears it shows only today's backups, and after choosing one of them only unedited pictures are shown (Pic 1). 

2. If I choose from a different catalogue (Pic 2) and found the backup from before upgrading to 3.1.0 I got only the screen with greyed out numbers of pictures and can't open any picture (Pic 3).

Screenshots attached.

Regards,

Marcin

Pic.1 

Pic 2

Pic 3

James Moore

Hi all again,

What a palaver!

I went through the Termina/Appcleaner/Re-install routine to get any semblance of progress. I did get the app to work but it seems more buggy than the older version and it is so slow as to be almost unusable. As I said above, I tried to edit a file using clone and stamp and it was so slow that I thought the app had frozen. The tool eventually worked but way too slow to be useable so I'll be using the 2018 version until Luminar 3 gets sorted.

How can an upgrade be worse that the previous version? Looking at all of the posts here it would also appear that the new release had not been thoroughly tested nor had the upgrade process.

I use Aurora HDR 2019 and it's a terrific application as WAS Luminar.

I think Skylum need to prioritise a fix for Luminar3 ASAP but please don't release it until it's fully tested alongside the upgrade process

Marcin Wilczynski

Any future upgrade from Skylum will be installed after at least 6 weeks being launched and used without any issues by others.
    Unreal amount of unnecessary hassle and turmoil.
    Sorry guys but I Don't believe you could release such a botch-up.

Siva Ganesh

Have done all that have been suggested here including a clean reinstall of the software. Sorry to say nothing works and am still stuck at the screen awaiting"Updating Image GAllery"....

What gives?

Can we get a refund of money spent on this rubbish?

Dmytro B.

Hi Siva,

Our tech team has released a fix for the users experiencing the freeze while Updating the Image Gallery: 

Please try reinstalling Luminar. Follow the steps below:

Download AppCleaner from here:

http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner

AppCleaner is a free app that automatically removes not only the applications themselves but also the related files, making 'clean' uninstall easy.

When removing Luminar 3, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar3.

Once you're done uninstalling the app, restart your Mac and download a fixed version from here:

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/luminar3/mac/Luminar3_Distribution_v3_1_0_3747.zip

In case you simply want to get a refund, please contact our support team via https://skylum.com/support 

Marcin Wilczynski

Hi all,
    Tried all the steps advised above and still the same, no solution.

I've wiped off completely L3.1 with the catalogue.
    Recover latest Luminar before the 3.1 from TM backup with the catalogue.
    Old one working back fine now (still crashing sometimes).
    No intention at all to install 3.1 until I'll be sure it's fixed and working well. Such a pain for days.

Take care guys
    Marcin

Siva Ganesh

Have done exactly as you have suggested. The problem persists. Help!

Regards

Siva

Anna Veres

Hi,

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Please send us your catalog via http://www.skylum.com/support 

1. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    2. Right-click the Luminar Catalog folder > click Compress and wait for the process to finish.
    3. Send us the .zip file you created in Step 2. We recommend a free service WeTransfer for that.

Please sign in to leave a comment.