Luminar 3.1 Stuck Updating Image Gallery

Comments

78 comments

phil dyer

I still am getting emails from technical dept with the "fix" which does not work, which I have told them several times does not work. Fingers crossed they send something that will actually fix this, I am not using the product for any series (images I need to keep) until this has been sorted.

I think I will give ON1 a trial!!

Comment actions Permalink
    Kier Smith

So disappointing, and their response even more disappointing.  "Thanks for your input".    This is a MAJOR issue, but I guess this is what you get if you want to get that new software right away.  I should have learned my lesson from Issues with Lightroom a couple of years ago and wait until at least one update comes out.  I really feel bad for all of you that have lost so many edits, for me I hardly lost anything since I use Luminar more as a Lightroom plugin than a standalone, although I was going to be testing this version to see if I could finally ditch Lightroom.  So far Photo RAW seems like the best alternative.  

Kevin Ford

@phil dyer I recently did a review of the features out there and didn't find anything that isn't lightroom that actually has the feature set that Luminar has.

Upgrades in the future will be thoroughly vetted before I apply them, it's always a huge bummer to loose edits.

I'm still hoping that @Skylum finds a way to merge in my old edits to my now edited 3.1 library.

phil dyer

Agree- its got great functionality and features, but losing patience 

Yves Royer

A little Hope ... in the dark !! 

Stuck with the update ... I reverted to the previous version in following those steps 

- Remove the content of  ..//Luminar Catalog ( save it outside of you "Image directory ) 

- With Time Machine .... restore the "before skylum 3 update " directory ..//Luminar Catalog 

- With Time Machine  .... restore Skylum 3 application ( preferably same day that the catalog .... 

Normally you should have your previous beloved ( lol :) ) apple working again with all adits at hand !! 

What I did is to save  a fil eversion of ALL my edits in two formats  . Lmnr and .Jpeg with a routine I Wrote ... 

AND as an advise, having lost all edits in a former APERTURE drama ...

Build separate catalogs by subjects / clients /  years ... 

and, has we all have our "best of " picture ... one separate calalog for that too !! 

Good luck everybody .. 

NOTE TO SKYLUM: even the biggest software companies had glitches in their softs ... APERTURE had many in the begin ... 

BUT ... if you want to survive in this business .. Inform your clients of what you are doing to solve this major glitch . ... 

phil dyer

Yves. Well done for all the work but the fix should have come from Skylum. They have let people down with a lack of information. I am seriously looking elsewhere now even though I love Luminar. I have no confidence in it being robust.

Will Lockwood

I have been searching for a good DAM that I will use to tackle a large cataloging project. Luminar showed up on the radar and I liked what I saw until I came across this thread. Quite honestly, this is a show-stopper for me. There are just too many shortcomings to take a risk in starting this project with an unstable and incomplete tool. I spent 17 yrs of my life in software development and understand the issues behind upgrades, but these problems concern me. They demonstrate incomplete and poor testing of a core feature. The suggestion for having a robust beta cycle should be taken seriously. 

phil dyer

I have now given up on L3. I will carry on using 2018 as I still believe it has some fantastic features. However I am migrating to ON12 Photo Raw for all my DAM requirements- it seems to fit the bill nicely.

Maybe once Skylum can guarantee the L3 functionality and robustness I will come back. Editing with fingers crossed has never felt right!!

Kim Ginnerup

I am part of the choir.

I am just thinking. I've done sw. development for more 30 years. One thing I have learned. New features is worth nothing if the software is not working properly. There will alway be bugs in software. But maybe, just maybe focus on stability would be well spend, instead of AI 2.0. BuiIding new feature on a wobbly foundation just makes it worse. I am still not a 100% Luminar user I do most of my work in Lightroom. Why? well it is not because of missing feature or functionality in Luminar. It is lack of stability and partly performance. Skylum you have a window to take customers from Adobe many of us is there not because we love Adobe but more lack of alternative. You could be that alternative, but it requires a rock solid product, we can trust or the window will close.

Still looking at my 0% Updating Image Gallery. I recall I saw the exact same problem going to 3.0 !!!

I am still here. I believe this product has great potential. 

Will Lockwood

Phil, it sounds like caution is going to be necessary with ON12 too. Unfortunately, small dev teams and the lack of real-world exposure via a robust and well-run beta program seem to be the Achilles heel of these otherwise interesting programs. Here is an example:
    https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360032101931-Solved-the-HORRIBLE-response-time-in-my-2019

Anna Veres

Hi Kim, 

I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

Try the following solutions:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.
    4. Start Luminar. Click File > Catalog > Open > navigate inside the folder you renamed in Step 3 > double-click Luminar Catalog.luminar file.

If the 4 steps above don't help:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.
    4. Open Finder.
    5. Navigate to Applications > Utilities.
    6. Launch Terminal.
    7. Paste the following string into the Terminal window: defaults delete com.macphun.luminar3
    8. Press Enter on your keyboard.
    9. Close Terminal.
    10. Launch Luminar. It will ask you to complete the initial setup. Go through the initial setup. Leave the location of the catalog at the default (in Pictures folder).

If the issue remains,

please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support  and we'll be happy to help.

phil dyer

Anna.
    You are still sending out the old fix that doesn’t work for anybody. It needs to be sorted in house.

LeRoi Mines

I've tried the fixes at least FOUR times!  Either Luminar 3 hangs at "Creating Image Gallery at 0%" or crashes or simply starts and then immediately ends.  

I've even left it running overnight and when I looked the following morning it was STILL at 0% updating the gallery.  And, I have a fraction of the photos that other people have.

Right now Mac's Activity Monitor says CPU usage by Luminar 3 is 96%!! I give up!  I'm going to use On1 now.

Will Lockwood

Could be stuck in a recursive loop or there is a database deadlock, but that's just speculation. Note that ON12 users are reporting a similar issue. Link posted above. 

Andy B

Adding my vote for Skylum to stop peppering the board with a supposed fix (that doesn't seem to work for anyone who wants to keep their edits) and actually investigate what went wrong with the DB migration.

Why don't they offer a beta channel for users to report potential issues like this before releasing an incremental update (as they clearly have a lack of Mac QA testing)?

I would also request some clear communication from Skylum support about what they are doing to address the issue, and when we might expect a fix (days, weeks, months?). As another user noted above - dropping gimmicks like AI 2.0 and focusing on performance and stability for a few sprints would endear them much more to the community given the drama so far with L3!

Marie Stuckey

So disappointed. After several reinstalls using the same work arounds suggested by Support and shown by Skylum in this thread, I am stuck in 0% Updating Image Gallery. My library wasn't even large compared to others who wrote in here. I really loved the program. All was working fairly well until the 3.1 update. Since then it's been nothing but frustration and deep disappointment. I can't seem to access my edits. L3 crashes, I reinstall, but then can not access my originals and/or edited images. I really, really didn't want to seek out LR or other programs, but getting really close to requesting a refund from Skylum. Besides losing hours of work, this is messing up my workflow and image output. I wish Skylum offered phone support and wouldn't release updates without fully beta testing them. Waste of time and money for what could be a robust, great program. Please Skylum - make it right, and fast. This is a total bummer! 

UPDATE: I got to the point of the frozen 0% Updating Image Gallery after clicking File>Catalog>Restore from Backup>Luminar Catalog.luminarBackup. The status bar showed a full back-up retrieval but then froze at Updating Image Gallery. With L3 frozen, not even allowing a quit or offering a force quit, I decided to reboot my whole computer. After rebooting I went back into L3 and the edited images slowly started reappearing from the point of my last b/u! No confidence problems won't recur, but I will export every edited photo now and am still considering a switch to another program. Just thought this 'fix' might help someone else. 

LeRoi Mines

@Will L

Thanks for the heads up.  But, right now, On1 is working on my machine and Luminar isn't.  I don't have much choice.  I hope On1's May update fares better.

Kate Williams

@everyone, we are sorry for the fact that you are facing this difficulty. That has been reported to our tech department and they are aware of these issues, so the proper measures will be taken. 

If the 10-step workaround provided by my colleague above does not work for you, we will be glad to look into it, collect the necessary information and pass it further. Please get in touch with us via https://skylum.com/support and we will be glad to carry out a thorough investigation. 

Yves Royer

Hello everybody ...

Strangely, after the update from Lum 3.01 to the new version it was  working ... when entering again in the soft ... the update catalogue issue appeared..

So i had the time to edit few pictures  !! 

THen 

I reinstalled LUMINAR  3.01 from Time Machine ... and it worked again !! 

I could even find back the edits of the newer version !!! 

If I remember well we had a problem with the first version of Luminar 3 .... it didn't want to connect automatically to remote disks on the network ..

THe actual problem of the New version is of this type too I think ... 

A connexion problem to the disk containing the Picture / or the Catalogue 

It must have something to do with file / connexion rights ... 

Strangely, when I open the remote disk before entering in LUMINAR 3.01 ... I can see the pictures   .. otherwise no (White triangle on the library name )  !! 

Hope this will help 

Yves Royer

EUREKA !! 

For the ones that are still stuck with the upgrade ... 

In application directory RENAME the upgraded version of Luminar 3.1.0  into Luminar-Stuck for exemple ..

The go to SKYLUM SITE and download FULL version of the new version 

Install it 

Make the backup as asked !! 

Wait for the libraries updates !! ( 2 minuts for 30 000 Pictures ) 

It Worked for me !! 

BUT be sure you have a full access to the directories where the pictures library are located ( manual connexion to those directories required before entering the New version of Luminar !! 

On mac, OPen finder 

Connect to the concerned Drive / directory 

Worked for me 

!!!! 

Good luck too all of you !! 

Yves 

phil dyer

I’m waiting for Skylum to fix the mess they made

LeRoi Mines

@Kate

I did that previously and included the Mac Problem report. And, I got back the SAME fixes (that DON'T work) to that submission as I had received earlier.  So, I'm not sure much investigation is happening by Skylum.

Will Lockwood

Anna Veres and Kate Williams. Having been on the inside with software development I do appreciate how stressful this can be for the engineering and qe teams. Touching base here on the forum is helpful. Please update us as soon as possible and let folks know what the problem(s) are, the scope and the fix. Will there be an updater? Will the fixed version be a 3.1.1 release or a simple patcher? By when is the fix expected out?

Andy B

I too have managed to re-establish the connection between my pre 3.1 backup and my photos (actually the one automatically made when quitting the program, so not a "formal" backup). I managed this through trial-and-error, but for me the following steps worked (perhaps not for those with large catalogs on an external hardrive).

1. Make a copy of the photos only in your Luminar Catalog folder, and put them in another directory. I moved mine to a sibling directory inside ~/Pictures. 

If ~/Pictures is your LC folder, then maybe try to make it a sibling of that.

2. Option-click the Luminar 3 application icon to launch the program, choose restore from backup, and navigate to the old Luminar catalog directory. You'll be shown a dialog with all the auto-backups made for that catalog.

3. Select the backup you want to restore, and for some reason you will be prompted to select a folder to save it in - I chose the folder I created, but I think you can choose any folder.

4. Hopefully you should see your old directory structure on the right, and the outline of your photos (and/or ratings), but not the pictures themselves - aka the "misconnection state".

5. Option click the root directory and select locate folder. Choose the folder where you made a fresh copy of the photos. If all goes well then the photos will be processed and will show up with your edits in place.

6. Consider scoping the current LC catalog to your current project, and creating a fresh one for the next.

I then created a backup catalog with 3.1, and since then everything is persisted between sessions. I hope any patch/fix doesn't mess up the connection again! Good luck!

EDIT: Just wanted to note that the above did NOT work when keeping the photos in the original folder and trying to associate the Catalog there. Every time I tried that I ended up with 0% update, then no images. Making a copy and associating with that folder did the trick for me (I've since nuked the old one).

Andreas Hill

Even starting with a fresh catalog won't help as it behaves the same on next launch.

I purchased the software yesterday, added my photos and fiddled around editing some pictures, closed the application and today im stuck with the same issue as the rest of you guys, "updating 0%".

So right now i will delete the catalog, add the photos yet again and see if it fails on me again after i'm done for the day.

Not a great start so far.

Will Lockwood

Andreas, that is not good. Is this on Windows or the Mac? Where was the catalog saved to - remote or local drive?

At this point the risk of losing hours of work is too great to depend on this software. I am holding off on purchasing Luminar until getting very clear details on what the exact problem is and a fix that is field tested and proven reliable. 

Andreas Hill

Hi Will,

I'm on MacOS Mojave 10.14.4, the catalog is local, about 2500 photos are local and about 25k photos are on a NAS.

I'm in the process of adding the files again, I don't mind it being slow the first time around, but It will be unusable if I need to add them every time I open the application.

Bill Kyle

MY FIx for Luminar 3.1 Stuck issue:

May 4, 2019

Bill Kyle

This worked for me and did not take long to complete.

I had given up on using my previous Luminar catalog file after the 3.1 update. My situation was the same as others where after the update the Backup Catalog process got stuck at 98%. So I went ahead and created a new catalogue from the same library in 3.1.

Since I did to have a ton of images adjusted and I did not see the need at the time to worry much about saving the edits, I was going to move on with my newly created catalog. 

After reading Yves Royer’s fix helped me rethink a possible workaround. Perhaps installing a clean version of Luminar 3.1 might be a workaround for the stuck issue. 

Here is what worked for me:

1. Downloaded the full trial latest version 3.1 from Skylum 
    2. Installed it into my Home directory Applications folder. Ran it as trial version only.
    3. From one Time Machine backup, I restored the recent catalog from 3.02 that previously would not update or get past backup step. (I had deleted the problem 3.02 catalog after creating a new one for 3.1 knowing that I could restore it later if needed.)
    4. Launched Luminar 3.1 from my Home>Applications then opened the restored catalog. 
    5. Luminar then successfully made it through back up step and updated my original catalog with edits, picks and ratings intact.
    6. Now opening the licensed Luminar install opens the restored catalog perfectly.
    7. Losing a few edits and rankings recently is not a big deal for me.
    1. ••For some reason I made sure that I had only one Time Machine backup drive mounted and only for the restore process.  I have 3 Time Machine backups running. Hope this helps.
    Andreas Hill

Ok so here is my progress,

I am not saying that this is a fix, All I am saying is that this worked for me.

Since I was starting from scratch either way I decided to delete all the individual files under "Luminar Catalog" including the files in Backup and History.
    I then went to my photo share to see if there was anything that could possible cause this issue, I found my old backups from my previous subscription based editor on the same share as my photos, I promptly deleted those backups (600k files or something including previews etc), making sure that there where only actual photos there.

I then started Luminar, added my photo locations, waited until everything was added ( this took a while ).

Now it starts and runs just fine with all my photos added.

It still "hangs" on startup saying "updating 0%" but after roughly 90 seconds if pops open, there is not progress from the "updating 0%" until the started application.

So if you are coming from a subscription based software it might be worthwhile having a look to make sure you are not adding leftovers from that software to your Luminar Catalog.

I'm up and running.

Kim Ginnerup

Just an update

I have updated my iMac from Sierra to High Sierra. That made a difference

now the update seems have finished or sort of.

I can now see my library on the right side of the screen and for each folder it shows an image count for that folder.

When I click on that folder nothing happens Except it shows the folder name in the upper left corner and right underneath it says 0 photos in-spite the folder says 10 photos and nothing is showed (probably because it believes there is 0 photos).

Same behaviour for all folders in the library 70.000+ photos

Update!

I added a new folder with a few images and after that every photo count showed zero and Luminar crashed.

I have started Luminar again and all the folders are gone zero photos.

I am now adding the original library 70.000+ photos.and says updating image gallery and is at 25%

update 2

It has now finished upgrading and it seems to work. I guess this a fresh start from scratch. it is ok most of my edits are in Lightroom. I guess I need to see flawless update before I skip the Adobe mothership. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.