Using a blend layer or luminosity mask to bring though only the outside scenery through a window

Comments

3 comments

Terry Rogers

Hi Paul. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

Comment actions Permalink
    Richard Huggins

Luminar isn't very good at masking. I'd try Aurora if you have it. I know you said you don't like HDR but I can get very realistic images out of Aurora, with none of the HDR features people don't like.

There is a luminosity mask option in Luminar but last time I used it it wasn't very good. You can also play with the blend modes.

The image is a 3 shot HDR from Aurora 2019

Steve Ratts

I'll second the vote for trying Aurora. Richard is absolutely correct on this. It's dead easy, and there's a Look built in for just this very thing. It's in the Essential collection, and it's called Natural. There are sliders on the Looks, so you can "tone it down" very easily if you wish. You can launch Aurora with as few as a single image, and the two you have will certainly work.

If you were shooting hand-held, I recommend checking the "Auto Alignment" checkbox in the lower left. If there might have been anything that was moving from shot to shot, then click in the gear icon to the left of that and check "Ghost Reduction" and pick which of your images you'd like to be the reference image.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to easily get very natural looking results that what Richard posted above.

Please sign in to leave a comment.