Luminar 3.1 Super slow

Comments

21 comments

Miguel Osvaldo

totally agree... is unacceptable. and I know it's not my pc, heavier programs load fast, normally. most of the times I turn back to another editor because of the 5 minutes and more loading the library... I'm rarely using it.

Comment actions Permalink
    Donald Wyllie

I'm intrigued. I know that Luminar is slow to load on my computer, 48 seconds versus 20 seconds with Lightroom. Previous issues of Luminar were slower. 12 minutes does seem rather long! So why do I get 48 seconds and Robert and Miguel 5 minutes. What makes the difference? I'm running an old i7 870 at 3.5Ghz on an old Asus P7P55 Pro motherboard, 16Gb memory, 4Gb Nvidia 1050Ti display card and an SSD C: drive. My images are on a separate Toshiba X300 E: drive. Windows 10 up to date. Both drives using 6Gb/sec interfaces. None of this is very 'modern' apart from the SSD and Windows 10. Oh, and Bitdefender Free, some antivirus programs I've tried don't play nice with some other programs.

I'm not sure what a "heavier" program is?

What computers are Robert and Miguel using to achieve these slow loads?

Donald

Robert Peters

Donald,

I'm running a fairly up to date machine with more than enough capability.

What am I doing wrong? Or what suggestions does anyone have to make a difference?

Skylum, any suggestioins?

Robert

Windows 10 Pro – up to date

64 bit operating system, x64-based processor

AMD FX 8350 Eight Core Processor, 4.0 GHz

Video AMD Radeon R7 200 series

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB drive

Ram 16 GB

Donald Wyllie

Hmm, I was hoping you were going to say you were running Windows 7 on a 10 year old computer.

Being a mere hopeful user I'm a bit at a loss to make suggestions. I assume that Skylum knows where the problem bottlenecks are and are working to fix them.

But some suggestions. I assume that your SATA interface is running at 6Gb/second. My current computer was running at 3 until I found a update for the motherboard. Does Lightroom load quickly, or whatever photo program you use. I don't know whether 20 seconds to load Lightroom is fast or slow. Also I don't know what load speeds Skylum get on their computers. Is your display card plugged into a PCIe slot that is 16x wide.  Again, on this computer it was initially running at 4x because I accidentally plugged the card into the wrong slot! As you may have guessed the computer is home made. I found a big improvement with Lightroom when I ditched my R7 200 series card. I'm not sure what Skylum recommend? At this point I run out of ideas.

It would be useful if Skylum told users what to expect by way of load times and what may potentially cause problems. Apart from their existing ones which, I'm sure are are working to fix. As you said, "Come on Skylum."

Donald

Robert Peters

Donald,

LIghtroom loads and ready to use in 12 seconds.  The same for Photoshop.  Your other suggestions card slots and such are OK. Luminar 3 is the only program I've ever had this much problem with.  Luminar 2018 and Luminar Flex are fairly quick to load.  So what changed Skylum?  This had been going on since December when they launched it.  I also have it on my laptop, and it isn't any faster on it.  So appears to be software problem to me.

Robert

Donald Wyllie

Sigh, the joys of being in at the start of a new program. What is so irritating is that Skylum is pushing out programs and adding features before getting the software to run nicely.

I'm at a loss to understand why users are getting such widely varying load times. I will stick around for a while to see what they do next although I must admit that the latest version is a welcome improvement for me at least. Another niggle is that the 'training' videos are Mac based so one finds oneself suddenly stuck for the Windows version is different. Yesterday I had almost made up my mind to go with Affinity Photo - they make no claims about introducing a DAM so I would be forced to use another program to move images off the SD card. Anyway, the price is right for Luminar but I'm sure there will be an extra cost in the fullness of time. Lightroom 6 works well for me but Adobe has become so mean and grasping if you are an amateur. There are few viable replacements.

Donald

PS Notice that no Skylum person has made a comment about this thread. Usually they are quite quick to help.

Michał Kocon

The same problem here. Maybe my PC is not the fastest, but taking around 15 seconds to open the raw file for editing is some kind of joke (while open source darktable takes less than a second). I bought it when there was new year sale and then I didn't have too much time to play with it, but I relied on the positive reviews. Now when I started to catch up in photo editing it's impossible to work like that. I understand it's much cheaper than lightroom, but the time spend on adding new features should be used to improve performance and productivity. I wish I could get a refund...

Quad core Intel I7 3632-QM, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Crucial MX200 SSD 256GB, Nvidia 740m here.

Richard Angstmann

Well I certainly hope it DOES get better as I have just shelled out for the full version. Perhaps I should have made better use of the trial to test it more exhaustively, but I was drawn in by the great feature set! :)

I am running Luminar 3.10, latest update, on Windows 10 (latest) with an i7 7700 2.8 Ghz processor with 16GB RAM.  All my images are stored on a very fast internal NVME SSD and my current test library is only around 30 RAW images. (about 30MB each). It takes so long to just cycle through my images, and takes a good 5+ seconds upon selecting an image before I can start editing it.  This is unacceptable performance.  This has to be an obvious bug somewhere and must be fixed, surely?  I do hope so anyway... because as many people have said, it is bordering on unusable at this point, and that's with my tiny test library.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Richard, 

I am sorry to hear that.

Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support so we could investigate the issue in a more scrupulous way. 

Richard Angstmann

Thanks for your reply. I have read on another thread that a new update will be out within a week. So I will wait and see if that addresses the issues that I am having. I am hopeful! :)

Angelo G.

I've been using Luminar 3 3.1.1 (3300) with last update available.

I'm running it on Coffee lake intel i3-8350k 4.0 Ghz , 16 gb DD4 RAM, 2TB + SSD, MSI AERO GTX 1070 8 gb RAM, it doesn't even show the preview of the filters eventually to be used.

Frankly with this pc I could launch a shuttle in the space and I can't even click on the next photo because takes ages to get the preview. 

I'm very disappointed. Just make something because it's impossible to use so far.

Ah, I was not working on 46mpx raw files, but simple JPEG files

Thanks,

A

Terry Rogers

Hi Angelo! We recommend a PC with at least an i5 processor to use Luminar 3 efficiently:

https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-5-tech-requirements

However, you can contact us through https://skylum.com/support and we will do our best to get it to work.

Angelo G.

Hi Terry,

thanks fro your reply

Oh, so clockable 2018 intel i3-8350k 4.0 Ghz processor is not enough to run a crappy JPEG file on your software when I never had a problem when I tried other famous software houses (I'm not telling any other name because nobody is paying me to do that) and I had 8 GB, not 16 like now.

Are you sure is not relating to your way to add libraries and something went wrong? Because everything was fine on the previous release without libraries. Just wondering.

I'm not a pro photographer and I don't need to pay each month for a photo editing software but, don't take it personally Terry,  yours is not usable at all so far. So if it depends to my speed processor (rotfl) I'll switch to another sofware house and bring with me this experience and your support with me.

Thanks a lot for your precious advice, 

Best wishes,

A

Kirk Osborn

Please try creating a new Luminar Catalog:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.

Note that the albums you created in Luminar and edits you made will not be accessible in Luminar after you've renamed the catalog folder. They will still be saved on your hard drive should you need to access them in the future. Your photos on disk won't be affected in any way.

After that, you should be able to create a new catalog. 

Please load your photos in parts so Luminar don't freeze. Don't add the whole drive.

Glad i'm not the only one. Not only is is insanely slow, but it kills my laptop battery and makes my fans run like crazy...

Kate Williams

Hi,

I'd recommend you to try splitting the gallery between several catalogs containing fewer photos.

You may create a new catalog according to Kirk's instructions above and add fewer photos (via Library > Add Folder).

To switch between catalogs, you need to click File > Catalog > Open. 

While we are improving the performance of the app, this workaround should help. 

Miguel Osvaldo

I tried after the update, I follow all those recommendations... didn't get better. It's been a waste of money. And thats all.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Miguel,

Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to further investigate the issues you're experiencing. 

David Kelly

Super slow for me with a brand new catalogue of just 5 images and running on a 2019 27" iMac with 4.2Ghz Core i7 processor, 64GB RAM and a fast SSD.

Helena Carter

Hi David,

I've replied to you in another thread, please, feel free to report this issue to our Support Team via the contact form.

Hope to hear from you soon.

JLa

I've same problems, laptop fans are going crazy when doing little editing and exporting. Windows task manager says Luminar3 power usage is "Very High". Exporting Nikon NEF-files to jpeg takes quit a long time and you can't do anything but wait during export. 

And yes, I've Win10pro, latest updates, Luminar3 latest update, I'm IT professional etc. CPU is i7, 32G ram, ssd etc.

You have to do something with these performance problems. I guess you are doing something really bad way in your sw (Luminar3)...

Edit: I just removed Luminar3 from my laptop and started evaluation with new sw. So I fixed the bugs that way. But: when cleaning and removing Luminar database folder there was really HUGE amount of cache files and preview files and folders etc etc. I've edited maybe 1000-1500 pictures but there were over 20000 cache files. This doesn't sound good... This means that Luminar is doing very high disk I/O all the time? 

Please sign in to leave a comment.