Comments

4 comments

Anastasia Davis

Hey Dan,

If you are referring to Luminar projects, we might bring back this functionality in the future updates. 
    Cheers!

Comment actions Permalink
    Christine H

Any update on this? Sidecar files are a MUST. Since Luminar 3 won't support my workflow of moving files off of my laptop and onto an external drive, AND preserve my edits so I can re-edit from the external drive, I am stuck re-editing from scratch. I agree with OP Dan, I don't need a full library. My OS can provide that. I need my edits to be portable between devices.

Jakub Jabłoński

I think the reliability of photos and edits is the key. I like all the nice AI features, but they are secondary to the fact that I don't want to lose my work.

I believe there is fundamental flaw in the software architecture of Luminar, which keeps both a) absolute paths to the files, b) UUIDs of the hard drives in the catalog database. The paths are changing, people want to freely move photos and edits between directories, hard drives, computers. Hard drives are failing, backup drives have different UUIDs. People get new computers, which have different hard drives.

The photos and their edits should stay untouched, as long as the author wishes, not as long as the hard drive survives.

There are multiple options how to solve this - side files, relative paths in the database, etc. I would be happy to give my input if you wish. I hope Luminar 4 would have not just a bunch of delighter features, but also some fixes for reliability, which is a basic need.

Anastasia Davis

Thanks, guys for your comments. I will forward them further so developers consider the priority of this task.

Please sign in to leave a comment.