After last April update, Luminar 3 is still not usable for Windows users

Comments

28 comments

Scott Schnelle

I'm having Windows issues also and have notified Skylum. When my Luminar3 crashes I use Luminar2018 and it's much more stable.

Comment actions Permalink
    Kl Jä

Hallo, 

auch ich habe mir Luminar 3 gekauft, aufgrund der vielen Empfehlungen auf YouTube . 

Aber jetzt, eine einzige Katastrophe. Luminar stürzt ständig ab,manchmal auch während der Bearbeitung eines Bildes.

Ein exportieren eines Bildes ist fast unmöglich, nach 10sek. stürzt  Luminar ab. 

Auch der Export zum Drucker endet im Absturz,oder das Programm hängt sich auf. 

Also so kann kein Mensch arbeiten und wenn es nur mit Mac funktioniert dann sollte man es auch nur für Mac verkaufen

Habe Windows 10 und als Kamera eine Fuji XT3  und Lightroom. 

Also momentan bin ich eigentlich schwer enttäuscht, Geld für nix und jede Menge Zeit und Nerven verschwendet. 

Das wären 3 Monate Lightroom Abo gewesen  da hat jedenfalls bis jetzt immer alles funktioniert, schade. 

Christian Kaiser

Ich fühle mit Dir. Ich nutze aktuell Luminar-Flex - das läuft.

Richard Angstmann

I read on here somewhere that there is a new update due out soon to help with performance issues.  Every day I fire up Luminar 3 hoping for the update, as it is currently unusable for me. Within seconds of launching the fans ramp up to maximum on my pretty high spec laptop. To me, that suggests there is a fundamental problem or bug somewhere, which is why I am very hopeful that it will be dealt with in a new update. I really hope so, as I love the software's potential, but I need the performance to improve dramatically.

Terry Rogers

Hi Richard! Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support again and we will do our best to help you solve the performance issues of Luminar 3 on your pc. 

Christian Kaiser

Thanks, Richard, for this info.

Terry, it doesn't make sense to me. Sorry. Why is Photoshop and my other software running well on my Laptop with Win7, 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel i5-5300 and Luminar have huge problems?

I appreciate the help from Skylum. This is great service (I mean it serious)!

But on my point of view, Skylum have to test the software on different computers to avoid these problems.

Will Skylum add the AI 2.0 filter into Luminar-Flex?

Looking forward to get asap an update for L3.1,
    Christian

Terry Rogers

Hi Christian, 

The 3.1 update for Luminar 3 is already available, please contact us via https://skylum.com/support if you need help getting it to work. Accent AI 2.0 filter will be added to Luminar Flex later this year.

Your Laptop meets our minimum system requirements which you can check here: https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-5-tech-requirements

I'd recommend splitting your Luminar catalog into several smaller catalogs and working with a few images at a time. That will improve software performance and image loading time.

Christian Kaiser

Terry, this is not the answer to my question/ coment.
    L3.0 works
    L3.1 didn‘t work - skylum have to Check.

Richard Angstmann

The issue is, I am using a single test catalogue of about 50 images only! Performance is unacceptable in Luminar 3 on a modern high spec Windows laptop. I have contacted support as you suggested, and am awaiting a response.

Marty France

As a sports photographer who has to quickly move through several hundred photos after a shoot, Luminar is just unusable.  I can't copy and paste ALL settings (e.g., crop, rotation) like I can in other programs and the batch processing once I've edited just a few photos takes forever.  Add crashes and slow loading and I've just about given up trying.  I have a new, high-end Windows 10 Dell i7 8th Gen with all the bells and whistles and, as mentioned above, once I start Luminar and import some photos, the fan fires up and the system seems to just go into slo-mo.  I've got the new 3.1 updates and I guess I'll try back in the few months, but at this point I regret all of the time I've spent trying to make this work for me.

Greg Wallis

3.1 works perfectly for me, and, it seems, for lots of others, too. Much of the problems appear to be from lower spec PCs, old drivers, and poor configuration. My advice would be to completely uninstall it, update all drivers, update Windows, and do a registry clean (with the appropriate software).

Marty France

Greg, I have the latest updates on all aspects of my computer, operating system, and Luminar.  I have a top-of-the-line Dell laptop that is less than 6 months old.  I've done all you describe multiple times and it hasn't improved performance noticeably at all.  I guess you're just a lucky one.

Sébastien ESTRADE

Greg, do you work with RAW ?

In my case, working with jpeg Luminar is a dream to use.

Working with RAW (CR2 from 5D mark II) Luminar is frustating.

In develop mode i have to wait 10s to get access to filters, each time i click an image. And sometimes 20s if the image is already tweaked (exposure, contrast, ... ).

(My PC : Dell XPS 15, i7 7700hq 16Go Ram fast SSD)

The Raw processing engine needs to be faster. Clearly.

However in Jpeg it's very snappy, almost instantaneous.

Marty France

I develop RAW CR2 files from Canon 5D Mk III (or try to) and it's just an enormous pain.

Richard Angstmann

Greg, I am glad it works well for you, and your post has at least given me some hope that it might be a config or setup issue that can be solved on my machine. However, I am fully updated, latest drivers, registry as clean as a whistle, and as such I am sceptical, as the anecdotal evidence seems to be mounting up that suggests this just doesn't seem to work well on a lot of user's modern PC's... I am not entirely sure how else I can update or optimise my machine, considering all my other creative apps work at full speed with no issues.

I am processing (rather, attempting to process) RAW files from various different cameras (Nikon, Panasonic, Fuji), and the file sizes are not abnormally large, yet I have the same problems as Sebastien and Marty above... 

I will try using it with JPEGs just to see what the difference in workflow is like, but ideally I want to use this with RAW, as I am sure a lot of people do too.

Greg Wallis

@Marty: Sorry to hear that. There's no question that performance on Windows varies greatly (though LOTS of RAM makes a huge difference). Whereas performance on MACs tends to be pretty uniform. Somehow, somewhere, there's a tweak that will make your system far more Luminar friendly, just in might take a while to find exactly what's causing the problem. Best of luck.

@Sebastien: I generally only work with RAW and find no problems at all. Files load quickly and filters open and work immediately. It seems to my eyes that laptops are having the biggest issues, particularly Dell. I don't think it's the processing engine, more like a lack of RAM (I'm using 64GB) and, perhaps more importantly, video RAM (again, I'm doing well with an AMD Firepro 8GB card).

Unquestionably, Luminar does seem to use a lot of system resources and the more you have, the faster it runs.

Janine Reinards

Hi all,

it looks like you all got some experiences with Luminar 3. I just downloaded the software and it gets stuck on the first sreen. I also followed the directions given in the manual and deinstalled it, Downloaded again, tried to start as administrator. Same issue. Have you ever experienced who this could be solved? Really appreciate your thoughts. 

Anna V

Hi Richard,

We have sent you a response,

Please check your email and your Spam box too.

@Janine Reinards

I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

Please contact us via http://www.skylum.com/support  and we'll be happy to help.

Richard Angstmann

Thank you Anna, I have received the email and will try everything that has been suggested. 

Sébastien ESTRADE

@Greg i'm curious.

On my laptop the video card is almost never used in Luminar.

When the GPU goes above 2% is only with tools (crop, tranform ...) then it's extremely fluid.

But it's an NVIDIA (GTX1050 4Go), may be yours is used more intensively.

Can you share your specs ? to see what's a good working machine looks like. Thanks.

(I've tried Luminar on a surface pro and it's even worse)

Richard Angstmann

So perhaps an update that takes fully advantage of high end graphics cards is in order. Mine is a Nvidia 1060, and works great in all other graphics intensive apps. I know this type of update would not be a trivial matter, so happy to wait for it, but would be nice if the performance problems were acknowledged and then users could at least decide whether its worth waiting around for a fix or not.

Greg Wallis

Regardless of system specs, sometimes Windows just doesn't want to play ball. Strange but true.

I've posted this before but here are the specs of my PC:

i7
    Windows 10
    64GB RAM
    AMD Firepro 8GB video card
    3 x SSDs

(Approx 5 yrs old and built to my specs by a reputable PC builder.)

Luc Nguyen-quy

I totally agree on the RAW file processing. It just take 10 sec each time before I can edit a picture. Then it crashes on large exports (100+)...

Richard Angstmann

As it stands for me, Luminar 3 right now is a great JPEG editor, with some fantastic features that I've not seen in any other software, and that is how I will have to use it for the time being. It's great to load up a series of JPEGs and see just how quick and smooth it runs... unfortunately this is not the case for RAW files as many people are noticing. When that problem gets ironed out, and I really hope that it does, this is going to be a truly great piece of software... my fingers are well and truly crossed that the RAW processing can see some massive performance boosts.

Sébastien ESTRADE

Totally agree. Fingers crossed here too.

Marcin Mochnacki

Same problem here. I bought Luminar in hope that it can replace Lightroom, but unfortunately it is now NOT USABLE AT ALL on my high-spec PC :(

Greg Wallis

Which really does raise the question: why is L3.1 working almost faultlessly on my five year old, high spec PC, with Luminar opening in a genuine seven seconds, RAW editing being quick and easy, and export working perfectly? Surely, then, it's not the main engine of Luminar but the way it's configured to act with Windows and the associated hardware. Let's remember that Skylum was MacPhun, which only had experience of Macs.

Antonio Frasnedo

Since the April update the program has become unmanageable in its windows version. The amount of resources that claims nothing else to load is incredible and it but it is that it does not release them when it finishes its execution.

It's unfortunate but I'll have to stop using Luminar until they solve these performance problems. This is very bad publicity for a program that promises a lot.

Please sign in to leave a comment.