Recovering edits after relocating the folders

Comments

11 comments

Nadarajah Thirugnanasothy

Hi,

Since I have not received any response to the above message I have sent a copy of the above message to skylum support. Also did a search and found this https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360039401512-Luminar-3-0-1-too-easy-to-loose-edits?page=1#comments

It looks like I need to go back to Luminar 2018 and stop using Luminar 3 till skylum fix all these problems and update the user guide https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-11-organizing-images

Comment actions Permalink
    Terry Rogers

Hi Nadarajah,

We're sorry for a delayed response. Your email has been received and replied. If the backup alone does not help, we recommend to move your folder back to the hard drive where it was located before and try using the Backup option again. Please make sure Luminar is open while you're moving the folder back. Let us know if this was helpful. Thank you!

I typed a long message and got lost when I clicked on Submit!!!! I will try again.

Hi Terry,
    Luminar 3.0.2.2186 Windows 10
    Thank you and your team for all the suggestions. Sadly it did not work.

I have all my photos on extrenal desktop drives and part of of my photos on my laptop and a portable drive.

I must be able to back up my edits without any loss to my portable drive and external drive.

Please tell me how to have a working safe system.

Questions that I have
    Can I have both 3.0.2.2186 and 3.3.1.0 (2942) on my computer?
    Would my method work in 3.3.1.0 (2942)?
    Can we move catlaogs from current version to the later version without any problem?

Thank you

Terry Rogers

Hi Nadarajah, 

A good solution to keep your edits safe for you would be splitting your Luminar catalog into several smaller catalogs and saving their copies on your external drive too. In order to create a new catalog, you have to click on File > Catalog > New, create a name for your new Luminar catalog and save it. In order to revert back to your previous catalog, you have to click File > Catalog > Open and double click on the catalog you wanted to open.

We've responded to your email as well - please look for it in your inbox.

Hi Terry,

Thank you.

This is my reply to your colleague's response.

Hi Helena,

Thank you for your reply.  Please pass this message to developers.

Can I have both 3.0.2.2186 and 3.3.1.0 (2942) on my computer?

>>> You can, but the thing is, you won't be able to open the Catalog from 3.1.0. in the version 3.0.2. due to the database migration (we've changed our database version as well)

Forget about having two versions  on the computer.
    Say I have installed the latest version of Luminar 3. According to your reply, I will not be able to read the catalog from an older version of Luminar.
    Could you please clarify?

Would my method work in 3.3.1.0 (2942)?

>>> Could you please kindly describe the method you mean? The thing is, the edits are linked to the storage where your photos are, so once you change the photo's location, Luminar 3 loses the edits. I guess you can't locate the folder due to the fact that these photos are just the copies of the photos from the folder on disk C: you were working with initially and these photos were linked to the disk C:, but the copies are now linked to your external drive, that's why your edits can't be recognized.

I assumed the edits are saved in the Luminar 3 catalog.
    (a)
    When I point the new location to Luminar 3 I expected the photos to be reconnected to Lumina3 and I can carry on working and edits would be applied.
    Luminar 3 picked up the photos from new location. But failed to apply the my edits that was done when the photos were on the computer drive C:
    (b)
    Then I copied the photos back to the original location on the computer on drive C:. Even then it did not apply the edits.

Hope Skylum would adopt a similar method in Lumina3  as we find in Lightroom soon.
    How To Move Your Lightroom Photos To Another Drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLXEzsmQAe4

Kind regards

Thiru

Dmytro S.

Hi Thiru,

Say I have installed the latest version of Luminar 3. According to your reply, I will not be able to read the catalog from an older version of Luminar.

> You'll be able to open an older catalog in Luminar 3.1.0, however it will get automatically converted. Once it's converted, you won't be able to open the file in Luminar 3.0.2 anymore. 

It looks like there is an ongoing email conversation with our support team, we'll try to find a solution. The edits are indeed saved in your Luminar catalog, but creating copies of your images and then moving them might break the connection.

Thank you Dmytro for the clarification on upward compatibility of catalogs.

(1)

I am using computers from 1974 and supported variety of applications on different main frames, minicomputers and PCs.

We always encountered bugs in the programs. Because of this application suppliers always allowed us to run multiple versions so that migration from one version does not affect the productivity of the users. 

So my question -  can I copy the catalog and use one copy with older version and second copy with the later version.

(2)

Terry Roger says
    "A good solution to keep your edits safe for you would be splitting your Luminar catalog into several smaller catalogs and saving their copies on your external drive too. In order to create a new catalog, you have to click on File > Catalog > New, create a name for your new Luminar catalog and save it. In order to revert back to your previous catalog, you have to click File > Catalog > Open and double click on the catalog you wanted to open."

This is a good idea. As the saying goes "not to put all the eggs in one basket".

smaller - does it mean (1)number of photos - how many thousands (2) total size of the photos in TB or GB

Hi Skylum support

Would this work in the latest version of Luminar3 ? (post by Eric 17 days ago)

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360039401512/comments/360005316252

Thank you

Hi,

In the above message I meant to say 

Would this work in the latest Windows version of Luminar3?

Tx

Kate Williams

Hi Nadarajah,

Apologies for a delayed reply! 

Let me please asnwer your questions. 

1. If the catalog was already opened at least once in 3.1.0, you will not be able to re-open it in 3.0.2. If you haven't opened this catalog in 3.1.0 yet, you should be able to copy the catalog folder and open one of the copies in Luminar 3.1.0 and another in 3.0.2.

2. How small the catalog is will depend on the file format (RAW files are 'heavier'), the place where the files are located (works faster on an internal drive) and your hardware. It may be up to several thousand - you will always be able to regulate the size of the Catalog by adding more folders or removing them (via right-clicking the folder and selecting "Remove From Catalog").

3. I am afraid not since Windows version is missing the option to relocate the Catalog via Preferences. Still, if you would like to experiment with this workaround, it's recommended to do it on a small test catalog first. 

You may try to relocate Luminar Catalog in the following way:
    Make sure Luminar is closed.
    Go to c:\users\%username%\pictures. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    Relocate the Luminar Catalog folder.
    Go to Luminar 3 - File - Catalog - Open and choose the location of Luminar Catalog.

Please sign in to leave a comment.