L3 function suggestion

Comments

10 comments

Phil Hurd

Agreed!

Comment actions Permalink
    Guy Meacham

I and others brought this up to Skylum right after L3 was released. In Library Thumbnail mode there isn't even a way to see the file name. Imagine a Library were all the book spines were covered with brown paper and you had to lift the paper covers up one a time to find the book you wanted!

This along with the other mind boggling behavior of opening all files in subfolders as if they are in the same folder with no way to tell the difference is a deal breaker for me. I'll use Luminar as a secondary program but never as the primary nor will I pay to upgrade as long as things like this are considered normal. 

Mark Barnes

I can see the file name in the upper right corner under “info”. I can also see it at the bottom of an opened image. What I want is the file name under each thumbnail. Seems like a simple request.

Guy Meacham

I thought it was a simple request too, you should not have to do more than hover over an image or at the most click on it to know what the file name is.

Anna V

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your suggestion.

We have already heard it before and we will do our best to add this feature in the upcoming updates. 

Mark Barnes

Thanks Anna,

I think this would make a lot of L3 owners very happy.

Tony Collins

@Guy - in the library - when I click on my top level folder holding all images, I see all my images.

When I click on the 2018 folder inside there, I see all the images I took in 2018 (Regardless of which month folder)

When I click on the 03 folder inside 2018, I see all the images taken in March 2018.

Why would you want it any other way?

(Agree about needing to see filename in gallery though - lightroom does it with a hover tip)

Guy Meacham

Hi Tony, so I sort my photos by date in folders in windows file manager, downloading photos from a particular event / subject into a folder. When I open that in Luminar & do my edits I save the edits in a subfolder, sometimes multiple sub folders.

The problem is when I go back to the original folder I now see all edits also mixed up with them and since there is now easy way to even see filenames in library mode it's a big mess!

Also it's not how Windows works or any other windows program I have ever used to be honest. In every other program I've used files in sub folders are not automatically opened unless you click on the sub folder.

Tony Collins

OK - I understand.

But it is not windows, and is not a file browser, it is a digital asset manager. Lightroom for example works in exactly the same way as L3.

The question is - why do you feel the need to save/export and keep the edited versions? I only export when I want to share the images elsewhere, or print them. Then the exported file is only temporary, and deleted after (eg) uploading to social media or printed.

At least - that is certainly the recommended workflow if you are using somthing stable such as lightroom. I admit that with the current stability of L3 and the risk of losing edits, saving and keeping edited versions might well make sense. In which case... is it possible to save them to a parallel folder structure which is not a sub folder of your L3 folders? IE the same folder structure, but underneath a different top level folder?

Guy Meacham

Thanks Tony, I didn't know that Lightroom worked that way, I've never used it. I've switched primarily to ON1 over the last year & have also tried Topaz & Affinity, they all work how I would expect.

The reason I export my pics is that I keep my photo library online with Smugmug, it's just easier to access that way for me. Re Luminar being a DAM. It's really not a DAM or a decent image viewer at the moment Faststone runs rings around it as a simple image viewer.

Cheers.

Please sign in to leave a comment.