Still desappointed

Comments

10 comments

Phil Hurd

I've just downloaded the trial of ON1 @Subias Gilles and I have to say I'm very tempted. Skylum have had over 2 years to sort this out and I just have a feeling that it will take another 2 years.

Comment actions Permalink
    Kim Austin

@Phil -- I went ahead and bought ON1 a couple of months back, and rarely use L2019.  I do the updates and will hold off until such time as the same errors are no longer reported.  I really like ON1 by the way. Cheers!

Ronald Skinner

I switched to ON1 at the beginning of March and love it it has all the features that Luminar should of added to their program by now, it has keywords, gps, lots of filters, built in HDR AND focus stacking, and they have a big free update coming out in May, I love the Luminar editor and was hoping this latest update would fix a lot of the library issues and add more features but it didn’t, it wouldn’t load my catalog, it still doesn’t show Nikon camera lens info and the Magic Mouse still scrolls to other photos during editing. I need a program that works now, so switched to ON1 Photo Raw 

Skylum contact me if you really care...LOL...Just updated myself....same issues if not more.....I haven't used Luminar in a month..I was using 2018 but since the last update it stopped working..I just switched to ON1..Thks for the tip... Taking this L3 as a loss will never use again bc im uninstalling

Rodney Brown

I'm afraid I've had to go ON1 as well, and just discovered it also has soft proofing, and panoramas which is very cool, and the changes are kept in small metadata files rather than the .luminr files which seem to get huge.

I did enjoy the filters and overall feel of Luminar, oh well.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Everyone, 

We are extremely sorry for the inconveniences.

We will do our best to improve and enhance Luminar 3 with every update. 

Our technical department is working round the clock to fix the issues. 

We hope for your patience. 

Subias Gilles

"We will do our best to improve and enhance Luminar 3 with every update. 

Our technical department is working round the clock to fix the issues."

So many monthes you repeat it, how can we trust you ?

Very sorry, I keep Luminar but I'll won't use it till many promised improvements will be missing.

Zach Wagner

I posted these thoughts in another thread, but I'll re-post them here, for the benefit of the people here not on the other thread, and for Anna, who I hope will offer them to the Skylum team as constructive criticism; I too am not looking for a 'solution' as the reality is there isn't one.

Well, I spent the last two days editing photos and comparing them in Luminar, ON1 and Lightroom. I used to think Lightroom was slow. Luminar makes it look like a frigging Formula One car. ON1 still pretty fast too, but Lightroom overall is the fastest. Rebuilding my catalog sucked big time ass and took forever (why Adobe can't just browse folders quickly like Luminar and ON1 is beyond me). But once that was done, I have to say there simply is no comparison on key issues.

1) Sharpening. Lightroom basically takes a katana to the other two programs. ON1 comes in second, but it still can't touch the fine detail of Lightroom. Luminar is basically a s*** show. Massive haloing unless you keep the slider pretty low, no matter the threshold setting, and even if you max out the slider and only go to say... 50 in Lightroom, all you get from Luminar is a still far less sharp file with absolutely horrendous halos. It is abysmal.

2) Chromatic Aberration. Lightroom uses the baked in profile from the manufacturer to do automatic corrections to the file. People have argued that you don't have total control this way, and while that's true to a degree, who the hell wants all the aberrations, especially from non-pro lenses. I've used many pro lenses in my time but currently am relegated to the Fuji XC 15-45mm kit lens, which while quite sharp at 15mm also has massive distortion and wicked bad CA. Luminar and ON1 simply CANNOT correct for this, and it is completely destructive to color editing. The chromatic aberration and defringe check boxes, in any combination, are just not even close to what I would call 'good'. Even on the supported raw files of my Sony RX100 VI, there is still CA visible and if it does get rid of it the artifacts are not worth it. ON1 pretty much just doesn't even try and their defringe sliders are all but worthless. Unless the lens profile is supported, you are out of luck.

3) Distortion. Again, Lightroom here uses the profile baked into the raw file from the manufacturer to correct the distortion and you have to do nothing in addition. If it is supported, there is a check box in Luminar for automatic correction, which works... okay. I find I still have to do further correction, and when that happens the corners get a little wacky so cropping is necessary. LR may crop a bit based on the profile, but I'm still getting more of the frame with that correction than I do with Luminar with automatic correction applied and then additional manual and then crop. ON1 is superior to Luminar in their manual correction, but they do not have profiles for the lenses I own so I can't say how good that might be in comparison.

The new Accent AI is really good. Golden Hour has no other equal, period. Detail Enhancer is fantastic (though it is only enhancing the detail that Luminar can pull out of the file which, believe me, ain't much). Sunrays again has no equal but it's a filter I'd only use maybe 1% of the time. 

All of these things can be had in the Luminar Flex plugin (except that Accent AI is still 1.0, which is nowhere near as good).

After many comparisons on image quality, usability and speed, I have to say there is still no real competitor to Adobe besides Capture One (which is better in a number of ways), and I really don't like using Capture One. So begrudgingly, resignedly, somewhat hatefully, I've returned to Adobe and will utilize the Flex plugin on an as-needed basis.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts. My apologies if I've over-indulged myself where it's not wanted.

Cheers.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Zach! We appreciate you taking your time writing feedback. You make us better and we will take into account your comments. 
    Best regards,

Susan Wiethorn

Sounds like you need a better technical team.

Please sign in to leave a comment.