10. Can I use Luminar Flex as a standalone application? Clarification?

Comments

10 comments

Kirk Osborn

We are going to remove standalone functionality from Luminar Flex as well as the ability to save .lmnr project files.

Comment actions Permalink
    Wolfgang Tippelt

I think that is an big mistake not to let Luminar Flex work as an standalone app. For Lightroom and Mac User it is a pretty small app with everything you need for development without the space wasting part of the libary.

Anders Svensson

@Kirk Osborn, if Flex wasn't intended to be a standalone app then why was it released with this functionality? Removing functionality from existing products (new ones even) shows a serious lack of respect for the user who has to adapt every time Skylum decides to break something.

Ross Collins

This is just further evidence, if any more was needed, that Flex was a knee-jerk response to the Luminar 3 crisis and intended to divert attention from the L3 debacle.  Now, with great fanfare, L3.1.0 has been released to address these problems with Accent AI 2.0 being loudly trumpeted to divert attention from what is effectively a reset and re-release of L3.  However Accent AI 2.0 functionality is missing from Flex!  If Flex was such a strategic 'breakthrough' product, how come there was no update to include Accent AI 2.0, and why would anyone now use Flex rather than L3.1.0 as a plugin?

Roy Blackwell

@Ross Collins: Skylum has stated that Flex will get Accent AI 2.0 at a later date. Also, I believe Skylum has also indicated that they will remove the ability to invoke Luminar 3 from Photoshop/Lightroom.

@Skylum: So long as many users are having serious performance/stability issues with L3, it would be a serious marketing mistake to remove any existing functionally from Luminar Flex. 

Richard Harrington

We have stated that these changes will happen in the future.

This is our attempt to tell you what to expect.

Luminar 3 can read lmnr project files today.  So when you are ready or need to migrate, you will be able to do so.

If you look at the product pages you will see that Flex is advertised as a plugin and Luminar is advertised as an application.  This is how these products will continue to grow and mature.

Anders Svensson

@Richard Harrington, Luminar 3 can only read project files that were saved with history and original resources. There are plenty of forum posts on this, but migrating edits to an application that doesn't make a habit of breaking things from release to release is a more viable alternative than resaving existing Luminar 2018 projects and trusting edits to the Luminar 3 catalog.

Michael Klass

Once Luminar Flex looses it's ability to work as a standalone, the I will stop using Skylum products. 

I run Flex now by launching it from PhotoMechanic. Luminar 3 is not something I will ever use to edit and maintain all of my images. 

Flex runs and works well now, but Skylum seems intent on ignoring their users, adn seems to have a vision of becoming teh next Adobe. 

It ain't gonna happen, guys. Make your products so they integrate with their OS and other photo software. You'll be dead soon, otherwise.

Steve Kruger

Why would you take away the ability to Save As .lmnr files? This would mean that the ability to save a project for future completion would be lost, and would mean that you would always have to start and finish a project in one sitting. 
    I make no bones of the fact that I don't like the DAM functionality in L3, but won't go into the details, as many before me have already done so.
    I like Flex, and it will be even better when Accent 2.0 is added, and any other enhancements that may be in the pipeline. But please don't cripple Flex, with the possible aim of pushing us back to L3. Develop the two products side by side, and let us choose to go with either one or the other or maybe both.

What is the problem with letting Flex save to a native file anyway? I am fine with it being a plug in...as long as I can save to a .lmnr file when I need to. I don't do it all the time, but sometimes it is necessary. And please don't tell me to export as a TIFF file... that doesn't save History, as you would well know.
    Thank you

Helena Carter

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your feedback, I will forward it to the person in charge.

Please sign in to leave a comment.