Lum3.1 Upgrade: Updating Gallery

Comments

12 comments

Euripides Argyropoulos

There was a message for "Back up your library". Had you pressed that? This function will take quite long..

For my library ~1200 images took 4-5minutes to complete (800MB)

Comment actions Permalink
    Dick Van wie

I did the back-up (3.4 gb) and it seemed to go smoothly. The program loaded and went into "Update gallery" mode, where it has been sitting for almost 2 hours now. This can't possibly be normal... 

Patrick Widdess

I'm having the same problem. It either completes updating and I have no images in the library or it gets stuck at 0%. 

Gary Richards

Ditto for me too. How frustrating.

Ronald Skinner

I had the same problem, I had to force quit, then renamed the catalog and then Luminar would start, then added a few folders, so in other words I had to create a new catalog. Very Frustrating and it seems a lot of people are having the same issue, not sure why they don't catch these issues when they are testing their software, they need to start letting customers beta test the software before it's released, every time they release a new version the forum lights up with issues that should have been caught.

Dick Van wie

In contact with an actual person at Skylum. He had me completely remove the old Lum3 (with AppCleaner - free online) and all but one of its dependancies (DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar3). Then download and install the latest version from scratch. I've reinstalled, but waiting to see if there's any special procedure for reloading my old catalog. I really really really don't want to reedit about a thousand pix. Waiting for an email back now. 

The last couple of releases have run pretty well for me -- only minor crash problems -- so the real problem seems to be updating the database to save existing edits. I may actually start exporting a "final" version of edited pix to an external, non-catalog file just to be safe.

Ole Wissing

Tried reinstalling using AppCleaner, and after starting up with new catalog (worked) I tried to import the backup from before the upgrade, which did not work. Then I tried to open the renamed, old catalog. It succeeded, and the progress bar actually counted to 100%, but no pictures are shown, despite being shown as present by the pic-counter. 

Then I restarted Luminar 3 and now it shows the "Updating image gallery... 0%" again and nothing is happening - OH MY GOD !!!!

Patrick Widdess

My library did finally load but I’m trying this reinstall to see if I can get back edits that disappeared on the last version. What I would say is it can take a very long time to get past the ‘updating image gallery 0%’ stage. Best to leave it running while you get on with your day.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Everyone, 

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Please try the following solutions:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.
    4. Start Luminar. Click File > Catalog > Open > navigate inside the folder you renamed in Step 3 > double-click Luminar Catalog.catalog file.

If the 4 steps above don't help:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.
    4. Open Finder.
    5. Navigate to Applications > Utilities.
    6. Launch Terminal.
    7. Paste the following string into the Terminal window: defaults delete com.macphun.luminar3
    8. Press Enter on your keyboard.
    9. Close Terminal.
    10. Launch Luminar. It will ask you to complete the initial setup. Go through the initial setup. Leave the location of the catalog at the default (in Pictures folder).

Ole Wissing

The 4 & 10 step solution does NOT work. Have tried them both, and even reinstalling (appcleaner) with a new catalog and afterwards opening the old, renamed catalog. Same problem!

If I cannot be sure, that my edits are safe from programming errors, I am forced to reconsider the use of Skylum software, and look for alternatives. 

Dick Van wie

None of this works. I did the full remove app, reload from scratch and open the old catalog routine last night with the same failure.

It sat on "Updating Catalog" for a couple of hours without moving off zero. And my old catalog was only about 5k images. Terminal told me the Luminar processes were sleeplng. 

I love what Skylum has done with the editing process, but I simply can't recommend it to anyone while these serious update bugs remain.

Even with my relatively small image catalog, I've lost -literally- hours of work.

At the very least, Skylum owes us small standalone utility that will duplicate and update the catalog database so we can be sure the upgrade will work and have a path to regression if it doesn't.

Anastasia Davis

Hi! I am sorry about that. Usually, it happens to big catalogs. Nevertheless, Dick, you noted that there were only 5000 photos in yours. We need to investigate it. Please reach our customer support: https://skylum.com/support 

Please sign in to leave a comment.