Luminar 3.1.0: Accent AI 2.0 + More Usability & Stability

Pinned Featured

Comments

64 comments

• Official comment
    Alina Skylum

Hi John!

Yes, Accent 2.0 will be added to Luminar Flex later this year. 

John Anderson

Will there be a Flex update for the accent AI feature as well? If so, when is that expected to be released?

Robert Turner

I just installed the update, Thank you, Raw+JPEG view is great. I also love being able to Rotate multiple images right in the gallery, so much more usable now. Exploring the rest of the update, so far so good.

Michael Anderson

Flex will get it "Later this year"?   If Luminar standard and Luminar Flex have the same development engine....and they should....why the delay for Flex?    Something does not sound quite right about this.    Good for folks that use standard Luminar.   I will not be one of. those until the Library has a huge improvement. 

John Anderson

Michael, I had the same concern. My hope was that Flex would stay more or less in sync feature wise with Luminar 3, just as a plugin instead of the library module.

This library rollout has been a real frustration, and I was hoping Flex would be the answer, allowing me to continue to use Lightroom / Photoshop to manage and bring things together.

If they can't keep them in sync I'd rather they just add plugin support back to Luminar 3 and have feature parity.

Jeff Boehm

My upgrade failed. New version launches a splash screen and then goes away. Do you know what you are doing!??

Wolfgang Tippelt

You should hold Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex both synchron! Many User are only on Flex with Lightroom. There is no plugin more in Luminar. So please make same Update for Flex! I like it very much and dońt want the big Installation of Luminar 3 also on my little Mac.

Aydın Salur

I have to be honest. I was very angry on previous version to Luminar. This time everything happened in 4 minutes. I've updated to v 3.1 w/o any problem. Launching is fast. AI 2.0 is very nice. Exporting and importing files w/o any problem. ( Running on Mac) Thanks for 3.1 to Skylum team.

Kirk Osborn

We are trying to keep Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex in sync, but there is a great possibility that both these apps will have exclusive features in the future.

Jack Larson

Hey folks.  This is a "Comnunity" forum.  It is a place for those of in the Skylum community to interact with each other.  It is where we can go to receive from, and give help to, each other.  This is NOT the appropriate place to communicate directly with Skylum.  For that you go directly to Skylum in the Help section.  Almost all of the emails that have been sent to me from the News and Updates section have been nothing but rants.  Personally, I think that people who take on a brand new DAM the minute that it comes out are crazy.  Give it at least a year for the bugs to be worked out.  (Note: if you think that ON1 RAW is so great, use it.  I really like many of the features of ON!.  However, I personally have no intention of using ON! as my DAM.  For over a decade, Lightroom has served me very well.)

When Flex came out, I jumped right on it because I had a fall back; namely Luminar 3, which worked fine as a plug-in.  I look forward to when Flex has Accent AI 2.0.  Until that time, I have gone back to Luminar 3.1 (which I anticipate never using as a DAM).  I think that Accent AI 2.0 is terrific and I am using it on almost every image that I edit.

Dieter Neitsch

Hi following error message after installation L3 new Version 3.1 and start

What doing now.

Greets Dieter

Phil Hurd

@Jack Larson, for information I have been quite a supporter and defender of Skylum in the past. I have the complete Creative Kit suite, Aurora (both versions) and I was an early adopter of Luminar becaue I am NOT going to pay a subscription for Lightroom. While I agree that people should not be rude on this forum, I think it is very useful that Skylum can see the strength of feeling amongst the user community regarding some of the issues with the software.

I have had Luminar for over 2 years, so plenty of time for the bugs to be worked out. I was originally promised a DAM with the first release, it didn't materialise. Then I had to pay for an upgraded version for which a DAM was going to be definitely rolled out, so I payed twice. Finally when the DAM came it wasn't fit for purpose but it looked promising. However after the latest release, it takes over two and a half minutes for Luminar to open because of the size of my Library (only 33,000 images). Quite frankly the product is broken.

So as I don't want Lightroom and Skylum can't produce the goods, I have little choice but to look at alternatives, as it seems many on this forum have done already.

I recognise your right to an opinion (and that is all it is, just an opinion) but I do not take kindly to being called 'crazy' when I have been patiently waiting for over 2 years for this product. Neither do I think it your place to decide the appropriateness of how users interact with Skylum. I and others will commebt here as we see fit.

John Anderson

Agreed with Phil.

Communication from Skylum on the issues hasn't been very good, only hype on new features. I think addressing the concerns would go a long way rather than ignoring them or giving very vague dates.

The Luminar DAM just isn't up to scratch yet, which is understandable given how new it is. However, breaking plugin support in Luminar 3 was very frustrating. Flex was supposed to fix that, but now we find out that Flex won't be feature parity to Luminar proper. 

I don't really understand why it was so difficult to just fix the plugin support in Luminar 3 and let us carry on using our tool of choice for DAM, whether that be Luminar or something else.

Merle Becker

@Phil Hurd, excellent comments.  TKS, I seldom check here anymore, that says enough, but I do think that many would support your comments.  I did not see the prior referenced communications and really don't care to. I used L2018, Aurora, the L3, Flex, etc. I previously used LR and Elements from the beginning.  Always felt that I worked for it rather than it for me. I fell in love with Luminar, it's ease, how intuitive it was, everything and even established a system of my Folder Organization vs it's library.  Sure, I am not a Pro cranking out thousands of photos doing frequent metadata searches but am now retired and do have thousands of my own and my late son's (freelancer w/music festivals) that I want to "touch" now.  I still have L3 on my system and like an old love, check it occasionally but am investing my time and energy in something new.  I miss the excellent teachers, J Nix, Anthony M and Matt Suess but need something that I know will open, process and save my work w/o spending a day or getting another bottle of wine to do my processing. I would like joy not pain!!  People have totally abused the Skylum staff beyond the bounds - (zealots who need to change their underwear). I have stated it's management/leadership not the worker bees.  i saw  that in my professional career.  It will kill a company. So, your comments are appropriate, diplomatic and stated clearly on your experience. (and represent many).

Phil Hurd

Thank you Merle.

Jack Larson

Phil - what I meant by waiting was that you don't install something until you get a consistent message that something is working well for most people.  Plus, no matter how long Skylum has been talking about providing a DAM, it actually has only been operational for a short period of time.  My comments were not addressed to anyone in specific; rather, they were about the general tenor of the comments on this site.  Some of your comments directed at me in specific were below the belt. At this point, anyone can put up anything that they wish on this site.  Since we have now moved to the point of ad hominem personal remarks, it's time to check out of this site.  

Jack Larson

PS - I think that the Macphun/Slkylum products are terrific.  They have been invaluable for my photo editing.  Plus, I think that the staff people are working their fool heads off.  I am deeply appreciative for the work that they do.

Phil Hurd

@Jack Larson, I agree that some of the comments on this site are not appropriate. But it doesn't mean that you can appoint yourself general moderator, not meant to be below the belt, just sticking up for feedom of speech.

Yair Tammam

Hi, 

I am having a major issues with version 3.1.

it looks like the new version isn't able to edit  Nikon D850 RAW files.

does anyone else have  this issue as well ?

Thanks

Yair 

Jack Larson

Phil - I am certainly a believer in freedom of speech.  And no way would I ever want to be a moderator.  I assume that your goal is to get your problems solved.   Thus far, it would appear that only the people at Skylum can help with that.  So the question becomes, what is the best way to get your concerns addressed by them.  I don't doubt for a minute that your concerns are quite legitimate.  The same is true for others who are having problems with Skylum products.  However, I rarely see community members really helping with the problems that people are having.  I try to put myself in the position of being a staff member of Skylum who is supposed to be addressing these serious problems.  And I ask myself, what would motivate me to be a real problem solver?  (I for one certainly don't have any expertise for being such a problem solver.  Every now an then, someone will have an issue that I have had and have gotten resolved.  When that is the case, I weigh in in the hopes that I can be of some real help.)

Jack Larson

Yair - I have a Nikon D850 and Luminar 3.1 is editing my RAW files fine.

Yair Tammam

Jack- Thanks!

this is exactly what l wanted to know.

i will look for what is wrong on my side. 

Erhard Markscheffel

My operating system: Windows 10 Pro Version 1809, i7, 16 GB RAM, GT 1030:

- part of my photo collection assigned to the Luminar folders

- with RAW photos of a Nikon D800, Fujifilm X-T1, X-M1, X-E1, X-E2S

- Browsing in library mode with clicking the movie strip and displaying the photo in the main window

- no image editing, only one main window opened at a time with the image clicked on

- after browsing 80...100 photos my RAM memory is occupied to 85%.

At the latest then a computer is slow, no longer useful ...

The only remedy: Exit Luminar 3 :-(

Thus Luminar 3 is not usable for me under Windows 10.

Note: on the Macbook with Mojave there are no RAM memory problems.

Note to Skylum:

It's a NoGo for me to see the real name of my Skylum account when posting to the user community.

Have you heard about privacy at Skylum??

Anna Veres

Hi,

I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support so we could investigate the issue in a more scrupulous way. 

Please note that you can use any nickname to make posts on the forum. 

Yair Tammam

I am having the same issue.

in the beginning i thought it is the D850 Raw files but it happens with all files.

Sadly Luminar 3.1 is unusable on windows 10.

Gary Pageau

I can't even get my copy of Luminar 3 to update on my Mac.

Jörg Planitz

Nach dem Update für die Windows Version ist luminar noch langsamer geworden bei mir wenn man etwas mit dem Pinsel nachbearbeiten möchte ist das alles zeitverzögert Schieberegler sieht man Änderungen oft nicht in Echtzeit sondern immer erst nach dem Loslassen der Maus und bei längerem bearbeiten stürzt Lumina dann einfach ab

Anastasia Davis

Hi! @Yair Please contact our customer support so we investigate the issue: https://skylum.com/support
    @Gary What is happening when you are trying to update? 
    @Jorg Could you specify how many images are there in your catalog? You can try creating a new one: File > Catalog > New

Bob Warwick

I am still trying to better understand the new DAM.  I've upgraded to 3.1 and have viewed multiple tutorials.  My understanding is;  as of Luminar 3.0 the are no longer .lmnr files and metadata about changes made is stored in catalogs.    Also understand that Luminar does not import my photos and make a new copy, but merely points to them wherever I put them.  Great concept.  BUT....... I am concerned if I rename / move photos outside of Luminar.  How does the Luminar catalog know that?  What if I use Finder (or any fie manager) and move a photo to a folder which is NOT in my Luminar catalog?

Is there a good technical discussion somewhere that explains more of how Luminar's DAM works under the covers?

Thanks!

Colin Grant

My understanding is that you have to  move the images between folders from within Luminar. If you don't do it that way Luminar will lose track of the images. It is the same with Lr.

Please sign in to leave a comment.