Flex, 3, 2018 and Divergence

Comments

6 comments

Anastasia Davis

Hi Leo!
    Luminar Flex and Luminar 3 will get updates. These are two versions with different functionality.

Comment actions Permalink
    Leo Wilson

Great - thanks for the response.

There are rumours abound that Flex will eventually be altered so that it can only be opened as a plugin and not as a standalone programme. Do you know/can you reveal whether this is true or not?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Leo,

Yes, the possibility exists. Flex is meant to be used as a plugin or external editor with other software only. It isn't designed to be a standalone app (Luminar 3 is our standalone solution). However, the mechanics of using Flex as an external editor for apps that don't support plugins is one we're still working out, hence it can be currently opened as a standalone. This may very well change in the future, but I don't have the particulars on when or how that change will be implemented.

Colin Grant

RIchard Harrington is saying it "will" change and that Flex should not be used as a stand-alone!

Leo Wilson

What would be the reasoning for removing the standalone functionality?  I know the company comes from an Apple background, but in the bigger world limiting customer choice and options is rarely a good idea.

Colin Grant

Not sure what having an Apple background has to do with it but there appears to be no real logic behind anything Skylum does from the customer point of view. For them it will give something else to sell - one plugin tool and one standalone app with library. The better option would be to split the Library out as a  standalone product but I guess not many would want it - the library that is.

Please sign in to leave a comment.