Comments

21 comments

Angela Andrieux

HI Sergiu,

You can currently use Luminar Flex as an external editor for Capture One. I'll share the suggestion with our developers for a C1-specific plugin for their consideration.

Comment actions Permalink
    John Dabney

Is there any tutorial as to how exactly to use Flex as an editor for Capture One? I too would like to see a C1 specific plugin for Flex.

pierre lion

Indeed a very good idea to create a plugin for Capture One.
    The workflow as external editor is possible but practically unusable.

Since Capture One Express is now free for Fuji X users, the plugin would be a very nice feature, now that I see how nice Flex is working compared to Luminar 3 where the DAM is still missing too many basic stuffs. 

Hope tu get this plugin soon.

Regards

Pierre

Angela Andrieux

Hi John,

We don't have any documentation on using Luminar Flex with Capture One, but C1 should have documentation on how to setup/use an external editor.

Colin Grant

But using an external editor is not necessarily the same as using a plug in is it, Angela? There is often no round trip mechanism as there is when using formal plugins such as those for Lr or Ps. You can use edit in in C1 and it will send a tiff to Flex but flex does not return it - there is no apply button. You have to save is as per using Flex in stand-alone mode!

Anna Veres

Hi Colin,

As far as it is not a documented functionality to use Luminar Flex with Capture one that is why we can't guarantee anything, for now. 

Your patience is highly appreciated. 

Colin Grant

Thanks Anna so what we are saying is that to is only a Lr, Ps and Photos plugin. Anything else is untested and might or might not work?

Bill Endicott

I too need to add the enhancement request for the Capture One Luminar Flex Plug-in. I find the collage in Luminar 3 to be busy and confusing - gives me a headache.  Plus it appears to be too sensitive to my mouse as in development mode it jumps from image to image without notice. I've tried adjusting the mouse to no avail.  Just feedback and only one opinion but I don't need a fancy collage, I need something to cull my photos with.

In Lightroom i LOVE the additional tools provided by Flex and with just the selection of "Apply" for the return trip it is Nirvana - absolutely better than cotton candy!!.  Capture One is missing or extremely limited in tools compared with Luminar, we need Flex for the combo to work.

I find Luminar my favorite development tool and Lightroom my favorite libraries, but Lightroom just fails on Fuji Raw files.  My best results come from Luminar and Capture One.

Colin Grant

Why does Lr fail on Fuji raw? Does great here, much better than Luminar and it has the profiles. It is even better since the last update and the inclusion of the texture filter.

Bill Endicott

LR has had a problem with what I am told is "demosaicing" the image.  Most the issues appear when sharpening is applied and is known as the "Worm Affect".  It behaves similar to noise and I usually adjust for it in the same way I do noise.  I just find my Final Results are always far superior when I process with Luminar 3 or Capture One.

About the beginning of the year I decided I wanted to test how different software renders Fuji Raw images so I opened 3 different images in several different software platforms and then immediately exported them as Tiff files and compared the results.  Capture One and Luminar Tiff files were far superior to any of the others.  The LR exports came out somewhat under exposed and with a hair bit of noise introduced, but not bad and definitely usable.

I do need to run this test again though because as you say I have found with the latest LR updates (I believe two since the beginning of the year) I do see some improvement.  The thing is I have made the switch to Capture One and I am really beginning to like it.  It just performs much better and if we could add the Flex tools to it, the combo would be incredibly amazing.

Colin Grant

Lr handles Fuji just fine and the profiles are superb. There is  nothing materially wrong with Lr sharpening, the problem was in the way it was being used - this is well documented on the web. The way an image renders in any single piece of software is driven by the edits that are applied "out of the box" more than it is by the underlying raw engine. For that reason judgement can be, and more often than not is, subjective. Cannot argue that C1 is great and its colour management is second to none. The cost of the Fuji only version is also very attractive. I still don't think there is that much difference between the two and the Lr dam and editing interface is easier to get to grips with. I also have other images other than Fuji so prefer a more complete solution and here C1 Pro is very, very expensive.

Bill Endicott

OK, I must admit I ran my test a while ago and LR simply did an extremely poor job with the Import/Export to Tiff (no adjustments), but very true Adobe has had a few updates since then and the recent up adding the "Texture" slider is a VERY nice indeed.

So this time I did something different.  I opened Capture One, LR, and Luminar all at the same time with the same folder of images and checked the untouched (other than the software rendering) images.  In other words the starting point provided by the software before any processing begins. 

I must say I saw quite a difference.  LR has improved a GREAT deal since my last experiment.  I still consider my results in ranking first to last as Capture One , Luminar, and then LR.  However this time instead of LR being a very, very distant third, I had to go into extreme magnification (400%) on all three to come up with that ranking.  I would say all three could now be considered equal (@100%) and now my choice would be based on the tool set offered and Library Interface.

Now all is personal preference but my Tool Set ranking is Luminar, LR, then Capture One - ALL very close contenders.  My Library Interface Ranking is LR, Capture One, then Luminar.  This has REALLY messed up my workflow as I keep jumping from one to the other.  With Flex I get two Tool Sets in one and must say that s the best of both worlds.

I need it for Capture One because Adobe already irritates me in forcing me to the cloud.  Already they force me to buy 20 gig which I don't want and now they have been testing the waters on the subscription billing.  Iv'e seen them test doubling the price with an additional 1T in cloud space I refuse to use and I have also seen the proposal to triple the price by separating LR & PS into 9.95 + 19.95.  I understand the subscription model has been out for a while and maybe an inflation increase might be called for.  But all I can say about 100% - 200% increases is that me finger is on the "CANCEL" button.

At that time I will NEED Flex to work with Capture One as LR will be eliminated and a non-issue.

Colin Grant

I disagree with that assessment entirely. All personal of course but the only diff between C1 and Lr is colour rendition which is purely down to the way the software applies out of the box edits. Where C1 is slightly better is it’s implementation of the Fuji profiles but it and Lr are very close - Luminar does not have any for Fuji!

Skylum stuff does not compare with the big players in any meaningful way and in my view probably never will. Luminar does not even have decent masking tools.

Colin Grant

Please get the facts right re the pricing of Lr. There is no intention of a price hike of the magnitude you are suggesting or even any price hike at all. There are plenty of explanatory reports across the internet which you should have considered before posting your “informed” findings. 

Bill Endicott

Well, It is obvious we are DEFINITELY visiting very different areas of the Internet.  My only concern is I have seen Adobe force its customers to a Subscription Billing plan and in that subscription plan we are forced to purchase cloud space we want NOTHING to do with!  I find both facts reprehensible causing my distrust in Adobe and how Adobe does business.  This is simply my personal experience and opinion.   

I like the products Adobe makes,  I use Photoshop when needed and I use LR for organizing my portfolio.  But when it comes to Image Development functionality I prefer Capture One, thus my reason for requesting a Flex Plug-in for Capture One.

Colin Grant

I can substantiate what I have said but clearly you dislike Adobe so much you will say anything and without any scientific reason. Still you can do what you want but be careful what you say. It can have consequences.Incidentally the 20 gig is part of the package as you also get the cloud version of Lr. It is not forced upon you, it is part of the package that you purchase and such a small part it is pretty much free. Lr, Ps and Lr cloud plus mobile sounds good to me. And there is more in the package. If you do not like it that is fine. Just go but do not write stuff that does not make sense or is not factual.

Bill Endicott

I have said nothing but good about Photoshop and Lightroom.  And I stand by what I said, they are great products.  I was also simply being honest when expressing my opinion.  It is sad when honesty is no longer allowed.  I will say no more, I believe you have already said enough.

Arno Grbac

The original ask is about supporting Flex with Captureone. Currently, the round trip doesn't work (CO v12 in my case), because the "Apply" button in Flex is missing, and "Save" will pick a system path, which is never the right one. It's possible to find the path of the original, but it's a real pain, so nobody will consider it usable.

If Skylum could just get the "Apply" button in Flex working with Captureone, there'd be a lot of happy customers out there.

Doug Hamilton

Good point, Arno. I'd like to see the "Apply" button in Flex for the same reason.

Arno Grbac

I've since discovered that Topaz Studio 2 has no problem working properly with CaptureOne 12 using the TIFF edit option roundtrip. It just works, so I'd say that it's definitely doable.

Doug Hamilton

Thanks Arno.  just installed Topaz Studio 2 this week so I'll give it a try.

Please sign in to leave a comment.