Luminar FLEX is here

Pinned

Comments

39 comments

Roy Blackwell

Well, I went to my account (My Software) and all my software (L18, L3, AHDR, etc.) has disappeared but Photolemur 2 and 3. Hopefully, you are just in the middle of updating to add Flex. 

Update 1: Just checked again and my software is back, but I do not see Flex at this time. A download link would be appreciated.

Update 2: As of this morning on April 5th, US Eastern time, Flex in now showing in My Software. It uses the same license code as Luminar 3.

Bert Friedrich

Same here, in my account it looks like I do not own Aurora and Luminar now...

Richard Harrington

Updates are happening to the database on the back end.  Should be sorted out shortly.

Gary Sibio

I went to "My Software" and, while I see Luminar 3, I don't see Flex. Will I be able to download Flex at some point or do I have to download Luminar 3 again since it seems to be included with that?

I use ACDSee Ultimate 2019 which allows the use of external editors.  I currently have Luminar 3 installed as an external editor and it works. Will I be able to do the same with Flex? I mentioned this in another thread and was told to stick with L3. However, it says that there will eventually be some divergence between the two products with each having features specific to the product. If I can't use Flex, I'll miss out on those features.

Pierre Alarie

Same here ! I went to My Software and don't see Flex. I bought Aurora and Luminar. I miss your Flex plugin !

Ann Hassig

I don't have it either, my other software is still there.

Tom Pickering

If you search around, you can find a download link for Flex.  I found this:  https://skylum.com/luminar-flex# 

I was able to install it - took several minutes - and activated it with my Luminar 3 activation code.  It is basically Luminar 3 without the Library, which suits me fine I think the Library is a joke since it lacks most of the basic functions of all the other players.

The program does launch quickly, as it should without the added bulk of the Library.  Thing is, and it's a very old story now, there is still no parity of the PC version with the Mac version.  I'm just seeing Luminar 2018 with a new face and the same PC issues.  I'm wondering if any of these things will be addressed within the next year - I'm not holding my breath, though.

Jerry Hall

Alina,

Your opening post, item 10, said. "The Luminar Flex plugin is only meant to be used as a plugin.  It is not meant to be used as a standalone application. The application is only provided so you can manage the configuration of Luminar Looks and workspaces."

Does this mean it can not be run in a standalone mode and save .lmnr project files?  In earlier threads it was stated that project files would be supported by Flex.

More generally, what is the future of project files?

Thanks, Jerry

Tom Pickering

I can attest that is does work standalone - that's how I tested it out.

Burt Gearhart

No Flex in "My Software"

Roy Blackwell

The link to Luminar Flex provided by Tom Pickering above does indeed work. I downloaded and installed without issue. The downloaded file is just the installer. When you run it, it installs about 710MB. As Tom said, Flex is basically Luminar 3 without the library feature. I activated it using one of my Luminar 3 activation codes. By the way, as Tom indicated, Flex does work stand-a-lone and can save .lmnr files.

https://skylum.com/luminar-flex#  <-- link provided by Tom

Herbert Falk

I installed Luminar Flex as described above as a standalone, but cannot activate it with my Luminar 3 serial number.

Herbert Falk

Ohh, it works with my Luminar 2018 serial number :)

Herbert Falk

Back to the roots. I use Luminar 3 without a library. Therefore I like Luminar Flex very much. Now I'm waiting for the possibility to save my work on a photo including all settings.

Gary Sibio

I downloaded Flex and it works fine as an external editor under ACDSee Ultimate 2019. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Herbert, Flex saves .lmnr files.

John Dorsey

Can it work with Lightroom 6?

Leila Evans

Hi John - Luminar Flex works with LR 6.

Herbert Falk

@Gary Sibio

Thanks.

Save as, not export, that's it.
    Now it's perfect :)

Ralf Rosemeyer

this is again one of the great announcements, (MySoftware) that do not work, the typical quality of Skylum :(

on the page https://skylum.com/en/luminar-flex# at the top of the menu
    - with the mouse (no click) about Luminar
    - right Luminar Flex Trial Download
    - then install
    - Call and activate with the Luminar Activation key Luminar 2018/3

that's how it worked for me

Fraser Thomson

No Apply button in LR 6.14 and if you save as it goes back to the master file on your Hard drive NOT to LR??????? You have to Synchronize the folder for it to show on the film strip

Urs Hauenstein

yes same problem here :(

Rob Yoho

Initial impression of FLEX:  I'm a Lightroom Classic and Photoshop user and like using Luminar as a plug-in. Luminar 3 (and previous version) did NOT work with Photoshop Smart Filters in Windows environment (I know, it worked on Mac only) and therefore I could not work non-destructively with Luminar.  Flex actually works as Smart Filter in Photoshop for Windows!!! My basic workflow is:  from Lightroom I "edit in" Photoshop.  I convert the layer (in Photoshop) for Smart Filters. Then I apply the Luminar Flex filter--that takes me to Flex interface.  I do my Flex editing then return to Photoshop ("Done" or "Apply" or whatever the command is on the Flex program interface at the top right). Flex edits are now in a Smart Filter in Photoshop.  As advertised, I can go back to Flex from the Photoshop Smart Filter and my Flex edits are intact!  That's a first.  Now the downside--for other plug-ins (example On1), when I  take a layer from Photoshop to the program as a Smart Filter and back again, the process takes seconds in each direction.  Using Flex, I thought everything had crashed--it took a minute or more to open in Flex and a minute or more to save back to Photoshop.  Something's not quite right with that. Secondly, the PSD is huge--my 36MB DNG file became a 1GB PSD file.  I suspect that has as much to do with Photoshop Smart Filters as it does with Flex, but it still seems exceptionally larger than other plug-in PSD files. This may also be what is contributing to the excessive time going to Flex and back again as a Smart Filter.  Lastly, the Save function in Flex is a bit quirky.  It allows you to save a native lmnr file during the Smart Filter process while in Flex.  However, when I went back to open the lmnr file in Flex, the file "...could not be opened. It may be damaged..." It won't open in any Luminar version.  Interestingly, I opened a DNG file directly in "stand-alone" mode (I know, it's not a stand-alone program but it is), made edits, and saved to native lmnr file, and it re-opened just fine in Flex. It's also a smaller file than the original DNG! Some things in software will always be a mystery.  I'm just glad that, for now, the Smart Filter function seems to work.

Addendum: regarding the round trip from Photoshop to Flex using Smart Filters, a day or so after I wrote this, the issue of taking a very long time going to Flex and back to Photoshop as a Smart Filter seems to have resolved spontaneously!  Likewise, the huge 1 GB psd file returned to a more normal 300MB file. It appears that Photoshop was to blame (go figure!). Adobe had put out an ACR update on the same day, and just like on several of the past updates, it caused a problem in a configuration file for Photoshop that was causing some crash issues.  Once I "fixed" Photoshop, the Smart Filter capability of Flex began working like a champ!

Tom Fox

when i try to use luminar flex this is what appears on the screen

Bjarne Winkler

Can someone please post a URL for the Online Help Guide for Luminar Flex. Thanks!

Bjarne Winkler

Thanks @Roy.  Do you happen to know if I can have both Luminar 2018 and Flex installed at the same time, but only using Flex as the Plugin?

Roy Blackwell

@Bjame Winkler: Yes, you can. For instance, with Lightroom CC you can use the Plug-in Manager to disable or remove any plugin currently installed. In my case I have disabled the plugins for Luminar 2018, Luminar 3 and Aurora HDR 2018. This leaves me with only plugins for Aurora HDR 2019 and Luminar Flex.

Bjarne Winkler

Thanks @Roy. 

Duc Vu Anh

To my real supprise, Luminar Flex for Windows can run as a standalone app like Luminar 2018, but with the improvement of Luminar 3 and faster, more responsive and less resource hunger. My laptop has 8Gb RAM only so Flex just use 60% or it comparing to 85-90% of Luminar 3. So far I am happy with the Flex. DAM is a nice tool but I can wait. Keep up a good work Skylum. And please, update the Aurora 2019 for Windows to support the Nikon Z series. Tks

Anna Veres

Hi Duc, 

Thank you for your feedback.

We highly appreciated it. 

We will do our best to release the update for Aurora HDR 2019 soon. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.