A request to the Skylum team

Comments

11 comments

Colin Grant

So you are happy for them to sell what does not work. How can it be exceptionally good if you won't buy it for stability reasons? Maybe you see a chair with two legs as being a brilliant product eh!

Comment actions Permalink
    Ram

I’m not happy with it. Hence I’m not buying it. I don’t think they should have released such an unstable software either.

But I can see the potential of this software. When it did work, it was really good. I liked the feature set, the layout etc.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Ram,

Thank you for your feedback! Our team is working hard to resolve all of the issues. The next update is expected at the end of Spring and we hope you'll give it another try at that time. If you need us to reset your trial just contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to do so.

Ram

UPDATE: When I received an email from Skylum, I let them know of the issues I was facing with Luminar. The issues were primarily related to the DAM. They were really helpful and I really tried my best to explain everything in detail and provide all relevant information like user permissions and other settings. They managed to sort out most of the issues and the only remaining issue was of certain folders not linking to catalogue. I figured out the issue and created a separate volume and that OS Drive issue has vanished as well.

So eventually I decided to purchase Luminar. I liked their Aurora HDR too so bought their creative pro package which is offered at a discount. Luminar is still a bit sluggish. It takes time to do things and you can’t switch between tasks in it that quickly. But I’m happy with the results I’ve been getting out of it so far. It makes editing so very easy. The custom filters mean that I can create complicated effects very easily. It offers a good set of manual controls too. I hope they sort out the performance issues quickly.

For the kind of editing capabilities it provides, Adobe’s photoshop is still the no.1. I don’t think anyone (even at Skylum) would argue about that. The only problem is that mastering photoshop isn’t easy at all and spending a LOT of time in learning and experimenting may not be worth it for everyone. Luminar can save a ton of your time while providing very similar results in most cases. Good job Skylum. And thanks to all the staff @ Skylum for helping me out.

Colin Grant

Good news. Could you explain more about the drive issue and how you resolved it? I still get crashes on Mac and lost edits. That dam is suspect. Still we now have Flex, an improved L2018 that works great with Lr and Ps. That suites me fine as Lr is still my raw editor and dam of choice whilst Flex gives some useful add on controls. I use Looks rarely as Lr carries its own these days. That said every now and again they give me a look I want.

Ram

My problem was that folders from my secondary drive were not syncing with the Luminar catalogue. They’d always appear greyed out with that exclamation sign next to them. I had to locate the folders manually every time I opened Luminar. Folders on the primary drive were showing up normally. It was definitely some permission issue. I changed the permission settings to let Luminar access the secondary drive but it didn’t work. Eventually I created another partition in secondary drive and transferred my pics there and now Luminar is able to access the folders :).

Another issue was the terribly slow DAM. I checked some of the folders I had added to catalogue and there were some large psd files. I moved them to a different folder and things got a lot more responsive and Luminar didn’t crash for me after that.

If I was a pro who go through a lot of images every day I wouldn’t use the Luminar DAM. It’s still sluggish. I’d stick to your Lightroom + Flex + Photoshop workflow. For someone who takes only around 200 pics per session Luminar might just be enough. Even flex would be enough as the number is small enough for you to handpick the images!

Colin Grant

Certainly psd and large tiffs seem to make the Library choke. The folder that kept getting issues here had some large tiff and a couple of psd files in it. I removed them and all seems much better. But that is poor in a DAM and as you say if you are serious about a DAM then Lr is by far the better choice. Whether that will change remains to be seen. I wonder if that is one of the drivers for creating Flex as using L3 as a plugin to the likes of Lr/Ps will result in a lot of tiffs/psd files being created into the Library. 

Ram

Flex seems like a quick fix to get some revenue flowing and to keep some of the L3 users/critics silent :). Not a bad idea to be honest. I think their goal is to create a standalone product which is Luminar. Flex is giving them some breathing space, which is good.

Colin Grant

Hope it is not seen as a short term convenience. If they eventually pull it/stop supporting it there will be an outcry and understandably so. Trouble is there is a lot of mistrust around at the moment. Skylum have a lot to do in rebuilding credibility.

Ram

Good that they’re offering Flex at no additional cost for existing customers. I don’t think they’ll focus on Flex alone. That’d mean they’ll always remain as a plugin developer. And there is money to be made in Luminar I think. If they can develop it into a robust program, they can charge $100 easily. They’re far from reaching that point but it’s an achievable target. With flex though, the money making potential is somewhat limited. 

Colin Grant

Agreed Ram. I had high hope for L3 but it was all a waste of time really, or it was if one wanted something other than a functionally delinquent library. The next update is a way off (end of Spring) so maybe they are setting about a fundamental rebuild. Hope so for they cannot afford to fail yet again.

Please sign in to leave a comment.