AI - Content aware removal tool

Comments

7 comments

Paul Wolfe

Hi Jorhan

I am a Luminar user like you and this feature exists. You need to go to your tools menu and select erase. When you start using the brush it will paint red and nothing will seem to happen. Paint all the different areas you want to erase and then click done. After a few seconds later the areas you marked will be gone and replaced with what should be there. This works like the Adobe content aware or Affinity Photo Inpaint. The only difference with Luminar is that it will create a new layer, so this process is not destructive. Hope this helps.

Comment actions Permalink
    Steve Ratts

Jorhan,

Paul has a good point. Definitely give the Luminar Erase tool a spin and see how you like the results.

Paul,

I think the Luminar Erase is probably closer in effect to the Lightroom Spot Removal tool - except that LR Spot Removal is much faster. Both tools can be used over an arbitrary brushed shape, and both are non-destructive. In my experience I'd say that the Photoshop content aware fill does a better job, though it's not quite as easy to use. None of these are perfect, and results vary depending on what the surrounding textures are like.

Jorhan Ordosgoitti

Paul, Steve,

Thanks!  that is exactly what I was looking for. I will give it try. I like the fact that it generates a separate layer making it non-destructive. It could be faster but it does the job.

Steve Ratts

On second consideration, I think I'll retract what I said above that the Luminar Erase is closer to LR Spot Removal. Nope. LR Spot Removal will try to pick some similar area and clone/blend it in. Given that, then Luminar Erase is likely closer to PS content aware fill - albeit slower, but also non-destructive.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jorhan Ordosgoitti

I have tried it with several images with easy and more complex backgrounds, with easy backgrounds it seems to work, but it makes a mess on more complex background. I constantly get better results with Affinity Photo with the same images. It also seems too Harsh on the edges of the areas replaced, the Affinity blends the edges and becomes almost imperceptible. the other issue is the speed of the tool, I'm running on it on a i9 8 cores and it takes some time, even Affinity or the new Pixelmator Photo  running on a iPad Pro does the job much better and faster than Luminar on a high end iMac.  I think there is some room for improvement here. 

Helena Carter

Hi Jorhan,

Thanks for your feedback.

We're improving overall Luminar 3 performance as well as our AI tools with each update. 

Jorhan Ordosgoitti

So After trying a lot I think I found a work around for the hard edges on the erase tool. first I use the erase tool as normal, which always leaves hard edges behind that are easy to identify. after that I change the layer created by the erase tool to be an empty layer and begin to brush in the eraser tool layer on the object I intended to remove. by brushing in the changes I can blend better the removal and get rid of the hard edges left by the erase tool to some extend. I think the difference is that the brush inside the erase tool is 100% opacity with no option to change it, leaving the hard edges. the normal brush tool offers to change opacity, and softness which help a lot to blend the edges of the brush. Why not doing the same on the erase tool. Would it be possible to allow the erase tool to have softness and opacity setting for its brush/eraser? as an example, the clone and stamp tool already allows for softness and opacity.

Please sign in to leave a comment.