Re-think Luminar 3 image delete design

Answered

Comments

11 comments

• Official comment
    Anna V

Hi Everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback.

It has been already forwarded to the person in charge for further consideration.

Hope for your patience and understanding. 

Comment actions Permalink
    pierre lion

I agree with you Kendall, image delete is really confusing.

This needs to be redesigned.

Sometimes copy what competitors do is a good way to do it right.

Regards

Pierre

Anastasia Davis

Hey! Please note that it is easy to understand the system. Basically, when you empty your trash in Luminar, the files are deleted from your system as well.
    Unless you empty the trash, files are safe on your hard drive.

Kendall Schmidt

@Anastasia,

As I stated, I understand the 3-step process, but I find it unnecessary for it to be 3-steps. Also, there are several places/ways one can delete images and it isn't always very clear to which "trash" your images will go. It should be made unquestionably clear as to which "trash" your images will go into - e.g. 'Luminar Trash" or "System Trash" -or- permanently deleted.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Kendall,

I agree that a distinction would be helpful. I'll share this suggestion with our developers. Thank you for your feedback!

Guerry Doolittle

Worse, my Luminar3 trash will not empty at all. I have 1564 images showing in Luminar Trash. Trying to empty elicits DSC_xxxx.xxx couldn’t be moved to the trash, whether trying to delete single image or empty all.

Terry Rogers

Hi Guerry! Our technical support has replied to your email. Please try to follow the instructions provided in the email and let us know if that helps or not.

A. Spiller

I just installed Luminar 3 and took my first steps and I completely agree that while the delete process seems to be innovative it is counter-intuitive. Especially because you can not add "deleted" (-> pictures sent to Luminar's Trash) pictures to your library again. In the head of users in most cases is a two level structure: OS file system and catalogue.

You can not sync a folder and get the picture back, even if it is still in the selected directory. There seems to be no way to add the picture back to the catalogue if it sits in the trash. 

I would prefer a distinction between OS-Level (what is in the file system) and Catalogue-Level (what is visible to Luminar) and have dedicated controls to delete files from the file system or Add/Remove to/from the catalogue.

Doug Chamberlin

I agree with @Andreas Spiller! Please just make it explicit what is happening rather than covering it over with simplified language.

Most people I know who are into photo editing via Luminar are capable of understanding the difference between the Luminar catalog and the OS file system. Respect your users! They can handle it!

Good UX design dictates that the user should NOT have to research exactly what will happen when they pick a program function. It should be obvious at the moment. I may research it to understand it thoroughly one day but forget the next day so I need it always obvious even if I'm used to the program.

Kate Williams

@A. Spiller,

If the picture is in Luminar Trash and you'd like to bring it back to your Library, you can navigate to Trash, right-click on the photo > Put Back. 

Your and @Doug 's comments were forwarded with our team for further discussion. Thank you for taking the time to share your ideas!

Ross Manning

OK - Just installed v4 & this has STILL not been addressed. It is a real productivity blocker for me & a few others I have spoken to.

@A. Spiller - Any update on when we can expect to see this improved??

Also  - "...when you empty your trash in Luminar, the files are deleted from your system as well..." NO NO NO NO!! Please fix this, it should not be the default behavior. The basic premis of Luminar is NON DESTRUCTIVE editing. Deleting a file is VERY destructive. As others have mentioned, there needs to be very clear distinction and wording between OS actions and Luminar specific actions. Please use terms like "remove from catalog" or "delete from disk" to make the outcome explicitly obvious.

Please sign in to leave a comment.