Luminar 3 is Too Slow!! unusable!!

Comments

121 comments

I'm happy that you issue refund quite easily. Thanks!

Comment actions Permalink
    Anna V

Hi Ken Cox,

Luminar 4 is a separate app and the release of Luminar 4 doesn't mean that we are to abandon Luminar 3.

We are still working on the performance of Lumianr 3. 

Your patience is highly appreciated. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi R. Takei,

It depends on how many are in your current catalog.

For example, if you currently have 50,000 images in your catalog, try creating a new catalog with around 1000 and see if that speeds things up.

If you have 1000 in your current catalog, try 100 and see how that goes. The results will vary significantly based on the hardware of your machine.

As Kate said above, we do have several other solutions you can try as well. If you want to go that route please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll walk you through them.

Rafał Bąkowski

Hi.

Following instructions you gave, I have folder with about 100 photos.  I also  turned off the bottom bar (looks). It didn’t change the speed in edit mode. L3 is unbelievable slow. I run updated system Win10 and L3 is up to date as well. I wonder if there is a chance to get GPU acceleration in L3, are you working on this? Compared to Lightroom 6, Acdsee 2020 and even on1 L3 is remarkable slow. 

Will the L4 get GPU accelerations?

BR Rafal

Ken Cox

Lets be honest it will never be fixed will it because you have already been payed for this product and are now offering discounts for vertion 4. which of course will have its own problems which will not be addresassed as you will start instead working on vertion 5. 

I mean look at it  Raw Develop, is now called Light.all that effort to change a name that made sence as it was just shows the level of understanding you put into your products.

The fact that a year after release people are stall having this issues, the fact that you move on without fixing existing this problem in my oppinion show your real motives. (Money) Go on probe me wrong or is it that your hoping soon this product will be forgotten about.

R. Takei

Hello Angela and Kate,

i have to agree with all the comments above by other users.  To be working and selling Luminar 4 when Luminar 3 isn’t working as it should, leaves users of Luminar 3 cheated.  

As suggested, I contacted technical support. The advice given was the install a plug in called Luminar Flex. There were no other solutions that have solved the problems stated above with Luminar 3. Would you please let me know if installing Flex will stop the lagging and crashing of Luminar 3?

Thank you.

Mistr Skurtu

Been following this thread for a while now, and I agree with everyone else that this business model is starting to look more like a scam than anything else. I feel like I need to reiterate the point for everyone that Skylum has been in developement of Luminar for almost a decade, which should alarm you! Why? Because if they haven't gotten their software performance issues worked out in that amount of time, then that is a giant read flag. On top of that, lets look at their model for selling it; They promise fluffed up photo editing software, with a few bells and whistles, some catchy marketing tricks, and also wave the "no subscription" flag to rope us all in who got a bad taste in our mouth with Adobe's decision to go sub-based. But what you get is actually extremely unpolished, poor performing software that feels like it's still in its alpha phase of development (remember they've been developing this for almost a decade). 

This company seems like they're following the oh so popular Software as a Service (SaaS) model, but ironically WITHOUT the subscription fees. In other words, Instead of paying a subscription with promises of updates coming down the pipe, you pay a one time fee to get a vertical slice of the current development of Luminar, with no promise that you'll ever get a product that is reasonably functional to any specific degree. 

Ultimately when you have this many people who have reached out to your company for this level of concern and who are still unhappy with your recommendations, then why aren't you offering AT LEAST a discount or free upgrade to the new version of the software, or at least SOMETHING? You see this is the biggest red flag of them all, because it says you're probably aware that the same issues we're complaining about are probably in the newer version, therefore you don't really have a solution to our concerns to date. You see, actions (or lack of actions in this case) speak louder than words, and all everyone is seeing is words in contrast with poor performing software with no solutions offered. I wonder why people are starting to believe this is a scam? Well...

Elmer Laan

@R. Takei.

Flex will not solve the lag issues... it is basically Luminar 3 without the library... it operates standalone or as a plugin inside of Photoshop, etc. The performance is not better than Luminar 3 at least not that I have noticed. I’ve run Luminar on two separate iMacs, both who run photoshop and Lightroom easily but struggle with Luminar. I’m now testing Affinity Photo it runs quite well and is more robust than Luminar (HDR and tone mapping built-in instead of forking out another €100 for a different program).

Honestly all their support on the forum offers the same thing: contact our support team to try some stuff out and it seems they offer no real solutions... why not publish a list of issues and how to solve them? ... because they don’t have solutions

R. Takei

Elmer Laan, thanks for the recommendation.  
    In their most recent response for technical support, Luminar had completely ignored my questions about whether or no Flex solves the lag issues.  Instead, they suggested I use Flex to see if I like it.  Lol.  I am afraid, Luminar 3 was faulty to begin with.  It would have just wonderful if it worked the way it should.  

Xris Tzu

Hi Anastasia, 

Not any noticeably any faster or slower.

Ive tried with clean installs of both earlier and Catalina OS's and it was just as laggy editing Olympus EM1 Mk2 files.

It's a shame, it's really a great piece of software but it's unusable I hope Luminar 4 is better so I await the trial.

Elena Blum

Hi - I definitely understand your concern. Please contact our support team https://skylum.com/support  and we will do our best to take a closer look at what’s going on right away.

Manfred Hoss

Hi Elena, I want a refund, I have sent an email to your support. I have make the the presale of Luminar 4 and I am very very disappointed. The Machine is a late 2013 Imac with I7 3.5 Ghz, 3TB Fusiondrive, 32GB Ram. Luminar is so slow, I have no other program that show this issue: Apple Photo is very fast, Affinity Foto is fast too. I have Luminar 3 which is slow too but Luminar 4 is much slower. 12000 Fotos. I don't know how do you test a program before it is in sale? This program is not ready to work with.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Manfred,

I'm sorry to hear that Luminar 4 hasn't met your expectations. We hope you'll give us a chance to work with you to see if the situation can be improved, but we can also process a refund request for you if you prefer. You can make the request at www.skylum.com/support.

Christie Ramsey

Wow. "Contact Our Support Team".  If you spent more time fixing the issues, you could spend less time replying to all of the unhappy people out there. I have been looking to find a replacement for Aperture, and what is SAD is that even as old as it is, it runs circles around Luminar 3 in terms of loading, processing, and displaying images.  I thought it was just me.  WHY IS THIS PROGRAM SO SLOW??? A simple search led me here.  Furthermore, I will select an image from the left-side previews, and when I slide the mouse over to work with filters, this causes the preview to change to a different image! I spend more time fighting to get the image I want to work on to REMAIN in the display window.  The ideas of this software are fabulous; the execution is an abysmal failure.  Has anyone here actually received a refund? Or is that more lip service from them?

Christie Ramsey

Wow. "Contact Our Support Team".  If you spent more time fixing the issues, you could spend less time replying to all of the unhappy people out there. I have been looking to find a replacement for Aperture, and what is SAD is that even as old as it is, it runs circles around Luminar 3 in terms of loading, processing, and displaying images.  I thought it was just me.  WHY IS THIS PROGRAM SO SLOW??? A simple search led me here.  Furthermore, I will select an image from the left-side previews, and when I slide the mouse over to work with filters, this causes the preview to change to a different image! I spend more time fighting to get the image I want to work on to REMAIN in the display window.  The ideas of this software are fabulous; the execution is an abysmal failure.  Has anyone here actually received a refund? Or is that more lip service from them?

Stephan

Hi Christie,

I've got the refund one day after contacting the support. 

Regards

Stephan

Christie Ramsey

Stephan:

That gives me hope.  Thank you for the feedback.  I am hoping that L4 **MIGHT** be improved, but the realist in me says unlikely, especially based on others here who have tested it already.

Pierre

Luminar 4 is unusable. The catalog has not made any progress since version 3, but above all, especially, it is unusable because it is sloooooooow ... But sloooooooow. And I'm not talking about exporting photos.
    Here is my config:
    SSD / Ryzen 7 3700x / 32GB Ram 3200Mhz zt yet; and even with this configuration the software is still so slow. I even wonder if it is not even slower than was Luminar 3 that I had tried.

In short I don't want to continue and therefore ask you a full refund of this software.

With thanks.

I will test Luminar 5 to see if things have changed.

j h

The support unfortunately sends only a standard response as Luminar clean reinstalled.
    I continued to look at the behavior of Lumiar. And shared this with the support.
    So far without reaction.
    In the image management quite trivial programming errors can be seen, why they are not turned off is a mystery.

Error 1:
    For photo import, two small files are created in the preview cache
    Only when a photo is called for the first time is a large photo rendered and cached.

Error 2:
    Repeated access re-render, despite the existing preview cache, instead of accessing the existing photo.

Instead of investing all the energy in "AI" fake photos, correct the simplest programming and design mistakes.
    If I look at all the commercials on Youtube, I suspect that in a Mac this is solved differently.

GEORGE GEORGOPOULOS

I’ve just asked for a refund. The program is just too slow and glitchy. I hate spending money on inferior products. I guess that’s why adobe have forced people to subscribe because most other products are substandard.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Erwin,

The roadmap is indeed in need up updating it (our web team is working on it). We'll release more info on the timing of the update when we get closer to the release.

James Wright

I have a windows 10 laptop (Lenovo l380 yoga) with 16gig of ram and a quad core i5 2.4 ghz processor. Its definitely not blazing fast, but the complaints I am seeing here are not exactly what I am seeing. Takes 5 seconds to switch photos and get control. It does crash sometimes but I have yet to loose work from it. Overall I really like Luminar 3! It is great as it stands and has so much potential. I wonder if this is more of a Mac issue.

Also, you definitely need 16 gigs of ram at least as 8 gigs will definitely not cut it. That should be anyone's first upgrade for doing photo processing. I saw several list that as their specs.

Keep the updates coming! I am definitely a happy customer!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bruno,

I'm sorry to hear that Luminar isn't performing as well as you'd hoped. We are working to improve the performance with each update. The next one is scheduled for the end of Spring.

Luminar's performance can vary based on your hardware configuration. May I ask how much RAM your computer has? An SSD drive and discrete graphics card can also make a significant difference in performance.

Kirk Osborn

The update for Luminar Flex will be released later this year.

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

Helena Carter

Hi Matt,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with Luminar 3.

Please, contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will help you troubleshoot the issues you have encountered.

Helena Carter

Hi David, Ken,

We're improving Luminar performance with each update and the latest update 3.1.3 is known by improving the speed for many customers. However, if you're still not satisfied with the performance, please, contact our Support Team via the contact form so they could look deeper into the issue and report to our technical department if needed: https://skylum.com/support

Helga Rowles

Hi Elmer, we do agree that performance is everything and our developers team is doing their best to improve the performance of Luminar with each update. If you'd like to try a couple of solutions that make Luminar faster, please reach out to us via skylum.com support.

Kate Williams

Hi R. Takei,

There are several solutions that we could try out - if you're willing to give them a go, please, reach out to us at https://skylum.com/support.

The most basic one is to keep fewer photos in one catalog - you can try it out by creating a test catalog (via File > Catalog > New) and adding fewer folders with photos via Library > Add Folder. 

We'll be looking forward to hearing back from you. 

R. Takei

Hi Kate,

Thanks for responding.

How many is “fewer” photos? I will give it a try.

Post is closed for comments.