Luminar 3 is Too Slow!! unusable!!

Comments

107 comments

Matt Brown

Anyone thinking about Luminar 4 should reconsider. Luminar 3 has been dumped. Skylum rushed to deliver the DAM functionality they had long promised forgoing all considerations of performance and we ended up with an unusable bit of software. Luminar 4 will be no better they just need to raise capital to fix the things they should have already addressed.

Effectively Skylum knowingly exploited their customers in asking them to collect performance stats for which there was zero mutual benefit. That highlights what sort of company they are.

Comment actions Permalink
    Maryna Skylum

Luminar 4 is a brand new app with a bunch of innovative AI features which bring your editing process to the next level. Researching the market of photo-editing tools, we developed unique technologies to enhance your images like never before. Step by step we will reveal all the bells and whistles Luminar 4 acquires.

Nevertheless, the upgrade is absolutely optional. It is up to you whether to stick to your current version or to go ahead with Luminar 4.

We can assure you that we will continue to support Luminar 3 in terms of performance and compatibility. For instance, the next update will be released within a few weeks. Speed improvements alongside some new functionality will be implemented.

David Brown

Thank you for the update.

Please look at it from our perspective.

Unfortunately because it is so slow I’ve gone back to my previous solution. I paid for v3 which I can’t use, at least not in a way that is productive at all. My purchase was more than 60 days ago so I am stuck without a refund, not to mention I bought Aurora hoping for integration between the apps. Frustrating experience indeed.

I’m a pretty patient guy and understanding of software development difficulties as I’m a developer myself. And I really like supporting the alternative/up-and-coming solutions. But wow, to make the current version usable just before releasing a new version that is a paid upgrade? Essentially I will get to start using v3 just as v4 comes out? That’s not the kind of ecosystem I want to commit to.

I wouldn't worry too much. I'm expecting the "performance improvements" to be going from 30 second image load times to drop a couple seconds....so 26 seconds.

Luminar is and will still be unusable software for library management, only good for one-off image editing.

K.G. Wuensch

Jus consider what Maryna has said, it’s basically end of the road for Luminar 3 - just basic maintenance to be expected (and given what full attention meant over the past year, imagine what basic maintenance means) - it‘s out with the old, in with the new „AI will make your images look great“ malarky. What that means can be seen in the horrible defaults in the current Aurora HDR (yuck) or the old supposedly highly crafted RAW conversion of Luminar Neptune (which was outstandingly ugly). The new sky replacement looks so gruesome (having two directions the sun comes from in the same image will always result in an image that will stand out like an amputated thumb) - and that‘s what you‘ll get if you upgrade...

Sorry but this issue of sleeping by works has to be solved first. This skylum 3 is not really usable for its speed limit! What kind of business philosophy is this, upgrading before the fundamental issue of the basics is not taken care of? I am back to LR, as this thing here ruins any joy of pp work. Many have complained long enough about it, but ears often don’t hear.

Keith George

I agree with most all of the comments. I have been using Luminar, prior to libraries in hopes of great things to come. The major concern that has turned my attention to other software, that I wanted to stay away from, is the fact that the base is not getting better. Skylum has chosen to focus on and make all these fancy AI instruments, but still has not improved upon the main base, the library. The library speed and function needs to be improved, prior to all these great new ideas and features. If the main system is not up to par then what good is the rest? Out standing items: speed, key wording, print module, export module is very minimal, upscaling the list goes on and on. I don’t care about replacing my sky in a second when it takes so long to do everything else and I can’t print at all or export my photos as I would like! Pls focus on the trunk, not the branches.

Pavan Lanka

I wanted to post an update based on my interaction with support as that is one response I keep seeing from Luminar.

==================

Me: I sent a support message saying that the performance of Luminar is very slow that even when I change from one picture to another it takes a couple of seconds for the picture to be rendered properly and then more for the Looks Panel to be updated.

Support: Please send us a picture of the catalog.

Me: Sent the picture. In total I have 18K pictures in various folders.

Support: That is way too many pictures. Luminar is optimal for around 2000 to 3000. To figure you should start with a catalog having 100 pics and go from there.

Me: I have tried even with 100 pictures and the problems continue to remain the same. That everytime I change from 1 picture to another, there is a significant lag and export is excruciatingly slow. Are there other things to try?

Support: No the previous options we suggested is all that we have right now and software improvements are coming.

Me: From the forums that does not sound like an encouraging response. Have these problems been fixed in Luminar 4?

===================

Hope this helps. I am still within the 60 day period and I am thinking I should just return Luminar now as this will not work for the following reasons:

1. As many have called out here the focus seems misplaced by the company in terms of what needs improvements. I am not interested in making pictures different from what was captured but rather keeping pictures organized and real. The AI improvements that they tout is not helpful and given that performance is not being touted in their teasers I am thinking that it will perform like 3.x

2. In my opinion a photo management application should be able to deal with 10s of thousands of images otherwise the value diminishes significantly if I have to keep toggling between catalogs of a 1000 pictures each and maintaining a mental map of where which set of pictures are.

3. The current export performance is just unacceptable. It took me 4hrs to export 700 pictures. I am still trying to recover from that experience.

Hope Luminar takes this serious and makes some fundamental changes in their design or maybe they can opensource their software and others can help improve this.

Quoting this "Support: That is way too many pictures. Luminar is optimal for around 2000 to 3000. To figure you should start with a catalog having 100 pics and go from there."

Can Support point to where in the official documentation they suggest maximum catalog sizes?

Joseph Mina

@Pavan Lanka, I do not use the Photo Management feature too for the very reasons you cite. Instead my image library remains in Lightroom. I have used Luminar since the very beginning. Yet, lag time continues to be one of the apps unintended features.

When working with an image, time lag becomes the norm as I add layers. Raw images start at about 25mb so the lag is not because of the initial image size. After 3 layers, including masks, spinning beachballs for 30 seconds or more become the norm as the app attempts to process a change. I'm using an iMac with 3.8ghz processor, 40 GB of RAM and the latest version of OS X Mojave. So computer hardware is not the culprit.

This very slow response is the antithesis of my experience using Photoshop or Lightroom CC. No lag occurs when working across layers in Photoshop.

I sure hope Skylum remedies this lag before introducing Luminar 4. I too consider saying "enough".

Pavan Lanka

@Joseph Mina,

I was also using Lightroom but given the subscription turn they took was looking at alternatives to Lightroom w/o subscription. So far in all the search that I have done Capture One Pro seems to stand the closest both in terms of performance and features to Lightroom.

I have been using a trial version of that as well for 2 weeks now without issues, though it lacks some of the features that I have come to like in Luminar, however on the performance front it leaves Luminar in the dust.

Ken Cox

SKYLUM!!! I notified you of this issue November last year you promised a fix was on the way, that was 9 months ago. still not fixed though is it.

it takes me over 15 minutes to fire up this software, has been known to take 2 hours, lightroom, exposure 4 ( which is excellent I will add) capture one all load up in less than 5 seconds. I use them all depending on what I need to achieve.

I have over 100,000 images, which for a professional photographer is not unusual. In the past when I contacted support they said it was the size of my database. I suggest you structure your software better so it catalogs and does not try and read every image every time it fires up.
    lately, it will suddenly shut down so not only do we waste a lot of time loading we have the risk of it shutting down in the middle of our edits.

Get it sorted instead of moving on to future products fix your busted products first. real shame really I have been in contact with Alien skin creators of exposure 4 in the hope that they can add some of your features so I can dump this product for good.

LUMINAR 3 People! This is the real issue from above: „Get it sorted instead of moving on to future products fix your busted products first.“ See, all that cosmetics will not help the root issue, it makes it maybe even slower and worse! WE NEED SPEED! The time of horse and donkey is over, today we have airplanes, some people know, some don't! Aperture of Mac was miles ahead in library functions and speed. I still run it and enjoy the workflow.  Maybe you have to go 5 years back and learn from Aperture right there?!

Tim Forrester

Skylum's marketing emails certainly don't suggest there's any problems with having a large database. An email that I received from them four days ago says this:

"Do you still have hundreds (or thousands) of photos from that epic trip or last weekend’s event waiting to be edited?"

This implies to me that I can have thousands of photos in my database.

Anyway, I downloaded the seven day trial of Luminar and it only lasted four days :) I've given up on it and now I'm on the 30 day trial of ACDSee. So far that is performing much better than Luminar.

David Kelly

I just bought a copy of Luminar 3 with the pre-release of Luminar 4 bundled. While the app itself is quite impressive, in terms of what it is capable of, I am already frustrated with it on my first day of using it. Like everyone else in this discussion I'm finding the app terribly slow, even though I have so far only opened 5 images in it.

I'm running a 2019 27" iMac with 4.2Ghz Core i7 processor, 64GB RAM and a fast SSD. The app should be blisteringly fast on this machine but using it is like wading through mud in lead weighted boots.

Skylum, do you have any benchmarks to indicate how Luminar 4 will perform compared to Luminar 3? Unless I see some solid evidence that this speed problem will be fixed I'll be asking for my money back.

Now, back to evaluating Exposure X4 ...

Ken Cox

There is zero chance of you fixing the issues, as you do the same every release, you get your marketing team to big up next vertion get fools like us to pay for the upgrade in the hope that you will keep your word, then you drop the product bugs and all to work on next release, of course you dont drop it entirlky you do the odd tweek   it yet still avoid the issues plaging us all, the slowness, the crashing 

this post proves posted 3 months ago.

Kirk Osborn stated 

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We appreciate it.

Our engineering team is working around the clock to make Luminar better.

so where is this fix aaaaa?   oh Luminar 4 is now being advertised, thats what you was working on how could I had fallen for that one, its ok I knew what you where upto once bitten and the same false promises as before.

People, capture one pro is more expencinve but reliable. Exposure 4 by Alienskin came out with bugs but was fixed as these guys will put you first.

Helena Carter

Hi David, Ken,

We're improving Luminar performance with each update and the latest update 3.1.3 is known by improving the speed for many customers. However, if you're still not satisfied with the performance, please, contact our Support Team via the contact form so they could look deeper into the issue and report to our technical department if needed: https://skylum.com/support

Ken Cox

Hi Helena Carter thanks but I had been doing that ever since release, always promises to sort always non deliver. I think the issue is this product is not meant for photographers with more than a few images, I have over 100.000 it can take over two hours to load. gone get this issue with capture one or exposure 4 so cleary not down to the pc. 

Maybe vertion 4 will be different but I dont really wish to spend out just to be let down again.

Pavan Lanka

@Skylum Support,

If you are serious about fixing the performance issues with Luminar then please show that in actions. It will be helpful to see benchmark numbers for each release you come out with to help illustrate the focus you are putting towards this.

Some benchmarks that come readily to mind are:

1. Time to export 1,000 images from a catalog of size 100,000

2. Lag between image change / filter application in a catalog of size 100,000

3. Time to import 1,000 images into a catalog already of size 100,000

Ken Cox

@Skylum Support,

you state

Some benchmarks that come readily to mind are:

1. Time to export 1,000 images from a catalogue of size 100,00

Yet further up you admit 

Support: That is way too many pictures. Luminar is optimal for around 2000 to 3000. To figure you should start with a catalogue having 100 pics and go from there.

So by your previous comment it was never intended to be used for pro work. how can you call that a catalogue I can shoot 3k images in a weekend, really what you are saying here is this is not meant for professional use, so why was this not made clear in your sails pitch when selling us this product, why promise for months to fix something that you Cleary do not intend to deliver.

As for me sending bench marks, I have already sent you screen shots over 5 months ago, stating time started and time ended. All the advice they have ever given is uninstall catalogue and try again,

I uninstalled software in the end and bought capture one pro a real professional piece of software combined with alien soft exposure 4 it’s a good combination.

I think at the very least everyone who has been plagued with these issues should be offered version 4 for free, if you do not intend making this a fully working product and are moving on to another version than we should receive that version at no extra cost. Of course it will be just as useless if these issues are not addressed.

I don’t have the time to bug test your software and send in reports every day and to be fair I payed for this so why should I need to this should have been fully tested before selling to public and if only sutable for small catalogues then that should have been made clear, though not once have I been told this in any contact with support.

one shoot I took got delayed by three weeks waiting for your promised bug fix.hence buying capture one I’m happy though to assist you my day rate is £60.00 an hour.

I'm also very disappointed by this software performance too :( It's slow, unresponsive and unstable... It's more smoke and mirrors than anything else. 

Stefano Albiero

Same experience, Core i7, 16 GB of ram, SSD: performance are drammatic, even with a catalogue with only 43 Pictures! No way, refund opportunity? Thanks

Pavan Lanka

@Ken Cox,

I am a little confused with your post.

My point about benchmarks was for Skylum and not for a user like you or me. They always claim that the release will have improvements and they should show that improvements with tests they have themselves performed.

If the release notes themselves contain details of how the software runs for me it is a good indication that they are serious about fixing this.

Helena Carter

Hi Stefano,

Please, contact us via https://skylum.com/support to request a refund or if you want us to troubleshoot the issue further.

Cavit Pınar

A weeık ago I realised that  lightroom subscription is nonsense. I made my research and bought Luminar 3 + Inspiration Looks + Luminar 4 bundle previous week.

My computer specifications were better than the minimum required which is mentioned on your web site.Lightroom works smoothly on the computer.  My first experience with the Luminar application was too bad. Loading image and getting it ready for edit takes ages. Each action in catalog takes 5 10 15 seconds. Exporting image takes ages. Too boring.  I found myself waiting most of the time.

After this bad experience I tought that the problem was my PC. I formatted it and installed fresh windows os. I replaced  my comuter rams and disk with the faster ones. Nothing changed. I am dissapointed and I will never buy an application without trying it anymore.

I paid 99$ for Luminar 3 + Inspiration Looks + Luminar 4 bundle. I want my money back. I red all messages in this topic. I see a loop of a some conversation. Your developer team made changes but it is obvious that nothing changed so far in terms of performance. By the way I did not know that this program is not for professionals. You should exprtess this on you sale page. 

I am too much dissapointerd. I want my money 99$ back.

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

I'm happy that you issue refund quite easily. Thanks!

O B

Add one more.  Windows 10.  Core i7, 32GB RAM.  Unusable performance.

Specifically, the first part of the workflow which is marking, culling, and organizing a photo shoot into an album of "keepers" is unworkable.  Way to slow to advance to next image to preview.

Like others here I gave the free trial of 3.1.3.3920 a try looking for a Lightroom alternative, but this is not workable.  The edit functions seem workable in terms of features, but the speed of previews and therefore library management is a show stopper.

What's laughable is that even once a picture is loaded, moving away from it and back I have to wait to get the full resolution image again!  There is no caching of of the preview!

Just sitting there previewing an image the app consumes 7.2GB of RAM.  Which would be fine as there is plenty more free, if Luminar was actually using it for performance, like:

1 - Build a preview of the next image while I'm looking at the current so it's ready when I advance.

2 - Give me the option to pre-build previews for a folder (that I plan to work on) and save the previews!  So I can sort through my photos as reasonable speed before editing.

3 - Cache the previews once generated!  Going back and forth between images deciding which I want to keep shouldn't be a chore!

4 - Take advantage of the JPEG next to the RAW when available to give me something not blurry to look at while processing the RAW.

5 - Make use of the $800 GPU I have sitting in the machine.

That's some suggestions for you.  Hopefully you take them if not working on them already.  I'm not going to spend time contacting your support so please don't offer.

For now uninstalling.  Good luck.  I'll check in on progress in a few months if I don't land on something good by then.  Off to try DxO, Capture One and Darktable for now...

Elmer Laan

I'm so disappointed to be reading that even on brand new systems, Luminar is laggy when editing. I don't use the library function and yet if I use anymore than one plugin, it starts to lag... using layers and masks? Forget it!

Reading the posts from all these people with new computers and how much they are struggling has convinced me that the problem is with how Luminar is designed. Lightroom and Photoshop run fine with very little lag on my iMac despite being bloaty beasts. 

Nobody wants Sky AI... everyone wants to edit photos on software that is FAST... time is money and it seems that Skylum is more interested in bells and whistles than creating a product that works.

Reading these comments has convinced me that my journey with Luminar is at an end. I will not pay the upgrade price for Luminar 4... I would rather pay €145 a year for Lightroom and Photoshop and know that when I need to get work done, that I can get it done. 

Love the interface and there are some really great tools... but performance is everything and it is the one thing that Luminar seems to lack.

Helga Rowles

Hi Elmer, we do agree that performance is everything and our developers team is doing their best to improve the performance of Luminar with each update. If you'd like to try a couple of solutions that make Luminar faster, please reach out to us via skylum.com support.

Please sign in to leave a comment.