Luminar 3 is Too Slow!! unusable!!

Comments

121 comments

Emanuele Aliprandi Foto

Hello. In according with all the other member, I admit that Luminar 3 is impossible to use because it's absolutely SLOW!!!! I'm a wedding photographer and to post produce 3 photos in Luminar 3, I need about 4 minutes!!!! (only contrast, structure and exposure). A very nightmare. The same operation, in Lightroom needs 25 seconds!! My system is Intel core i7 - 16gb Ram - 256gb HDD SSD.

In my projects, Luminar will became the perfect program instead of Lightroom, but I need you grant me that in version 4, the problem will be solved or, unfortunately, I will continue to work with Lightroom.

Best regards, Emanuele 

Comment actions Permalink
    Xris Tzu

New user to Luminar 3, running it on a Mac Book Pro Touch 15 with Radeon 560, 16gb Ram with a clean install of Catalina 10.15.

Luminar is unusably slow! 

Martin Ische

"The program is completely unusable for the evaluation of photos."

I totaly agree.

If the size of the previews could be changed at will, this would be a significant improvement.

Bruno Choi

Umm... I found that not only loading/ image processing for edited images are slow. The images that hvnt been edited still require years for loading clearer images. nothing i can do but juz waiting. 

For the preview of the edited images, the previews are always inaccurate and incorrect!!! 

sometimes, i dont even know whether it is loading. It juz show a blurred image. No "image processing"

Juz wait wait wait 

80% of my time is used for waiting rather than editing. 

Juz 100 pics loaded in a catalog.. Do you think more than 100 pics for an event are "too many" ??? 

Bruno Choi

i bought luminar 2018 for upgrading to luminar 3. then, i waited for the updates and “improved performance”
    but it doesnt do well
    can i make the refund now?

Keith George

I agree the current update of Luminar 3.1.0 is painfully slow, as well I'm still having problems with the program freezing and crashing. I still can still edit in Apple Aperture3, obviously not with all the extra bells and whistles, but it s fast even running off an external drive and runs smooth.. I have never owned LR but its looking better unfortunately as more and more time passes.  Skylum lets get the program running fast and smoothly with important features like, key wording and the ability to edit the file name, instead of trying to add all theses fancy AI tools and other things.  Im running Luminar on a MacBook Pro and iMac with more then enough power to edit and render video fast and this program (Luminar 3.1.0 bogging it down, heating it up and being a power hog..     

Resh Z.

I totally agree, have been thinking of switching over from lightroom and got the L3 trial version 2 days ago. The program looks beautiful and would be a banger, were it not for the super slow loading of 1 image to process, or freezing up when adding a mask layer (3 times in a row)...

I am glad I didnt pay any money for this program, at the moment it is almost unusable...

Real shame as I think it looks amazing and has great potential to be something great.

for your info:

Surface Book 2

i7-8650U @ 1.90GHz, onboard Intel UHD 620 with Nvidia Gtx 1060, 16 Gb RAM, Windows 10 64 bit

Kim Freyberg

I bought luminar for almost 2 years ago. I haven't had the chance to enjoy this software. It looked som promising to me and the interface looks cool. But It's slow upon slow. The latest version, beside of being slow, sucks al the power out of my windows pc. Even after 2 years I'm still waiting for the good version of this software. And I can see on the internet, that so many users got same problems. I don't understand whats going on and why?

Kim Freyberg

That sounds nice, but I don't understand after 2 years the same problems are still present: Slow slow slow freeze slow jam restart slow slow slow..... give up

I also have 2 Macs and work with Lightroom 6c and old Mac Aperture. I'm so disappointed as much I could love Luminar 3 with newest update, it is way slower than Lightroom. And also mine keeps freezing too sometimes. I am back to Lightroom as it is about 3 times faster in working operation and about 10 times faster in jpg export. It is nice to play with Luminar, but for me it proved useless in a reasonable workflow in its performance compared to Lightroom 6c. I truly hope it can get sorted out soooooon! I wish you guys to work smart not only hard, to make that thing work fine, pls smile! 

Jeremy Dinn

I'm only really disappointed with the export speed. I have a Yoga 910 that I do some editing on that only has 8gb of RAM. It does have a very fast i7 in it however. The speed of most everything besides export speed is acceptable in my eyes. When will we see a true update for this software that makes it faster? This is my favorite tool for editing, as it is so feature rich, but sometimes the speed of certain features just isn't there. I'd also like an option to select a ton of photos and be able to right click with a 'move to' selector. You can do it with a drag, but this could create errors if someone slips on the mouse a bit, as sometimes a mistake can be made. If this piece of software gets blazing fast, I see little on the market that can compete with it. Get your coffee cups out Luminar and truly work day and night, and this is easily the best. I've made some amazing photo's using this. Please let me know when to expect and update, and not just leave me/us in the dark with the generic "we'll let you know through our Roadmap" answer. Thanks for the awesome software so far though. 

Juan Torres

Bought Luminar on dec 2018. Since then, I can not use it because is too slow.  I just update Luminar 3. Very disappointing! Very slow as always. Almost unusable. What a waste of money.

Victor Ha

I'm on an older MacBook pro running Mojave. Lightroom 6 isn't as fast as it was in El captian, but still very usuable. I'm trying to export 29 photos right now in Luminarwith basic exposure edits and almost no layers, it's been 15 mins and I'm 26 out of 29 photos. The software is laggy as well, each module takes forever to load. But using each module works fine when it loads. The same export in LR6 was about 90 seconds.

Clinton Weaver

Luminar 3 is seriously slow in exporting photos. It takes about an hour to export 136 photos to jpeg. I have just installed the latest update released somewhere around a week ago. I am running a MacBook Pro i7 with 16gb of ram with a 512gb SSD. I have 300gb of free space. It would be okay if it would let me do other editing while it exports, but it doesn't. It also makes it almost impossible to do anything else on my computer as it almost freezes my whole computer. What can be done about this. I was enjoying using the program, but this is unacceptable.

Mike Beck

I purchased the Luminar 3 & Aurora bundle recently. My IMAC is older but snappy on most programs. I have a terabyte of free space on hard drive. My exports are as said here are beyond painfully slow. I was going to move program to my newer MacBook until I saw this blog. There best not be a “paid major update” until this issue is corrected! I’m starting to comment about this in my posts on Instagram. It’s a shame, so much of the program is good.

Ryan Karganilla

I agree with the others after updating to the latest version.  Been editing and exporting .NEF raw files to jpg and it's almost unusable. Loading the photos takes around 15-20secs sometimes more than that and sometimes loading the photo adjustment settings makes the application crash.  Exporting 100 photos to JPG is very slow too completing in almost 15min and sometimes the application crashes.  Leaving me unable to finish my tasks.

I'm using Windows 10, an 8-core processor at 4.2Ghz with 16GB RAM, GTX 1070 Ti graphics card if it needs graphics acceleration for processing and a Samsung 850 Pro SSD which technically does not have any issues with performance because it can run other applications in my computer (Lightroom, Affinity Photo, 4k video editing using Premiere Pro, etc.) with no problems except Luminar 3 which I don't understand why it's freakin' slow.

I'd really much like to use Luminar 3 most of the time and wanted to quit using Lightroom but this issue keeps bringing me back and it sucks at times.  I do hope the photo loading times gets fixed as I'm planning to buy Aurora HDR as well mostly for tight integration of the applications and also hoping that this issue doesn't plague Aurora HDR as well.

Joseph Mina

Using an iMac 5K (2017) 3.8ghz with 40GB RAM, which ought to be plenty to run Luminar 3.1.2. My image catalog remains with Lightroom. Using the plugin within Lightroom CC to access Luminar. Working with RAW images from my Olympus OMD M1 MiI camera.

So much lag (spinning beachball) in Luminar, especially when working with multiple layers and masks. Really gets in the way of any creative flow. Also, the inability to move an image up/down with mouse or trackpad when in brush mode makes this process all the more awkward. Even worse, using my Wacom Tablet accentuates the lag even more with masking or simple zoom. Yes, I'm using the latest Wacom driver. 

One thing is readily obvious as I watch GB of memory disappear. There's some major memory leaks in the Luminar code. Wish Skylum would focus on getting the app right rather than throwing more features on top of a flawed foundation.

Disappointed is an understatement. I've used Luminar since its early days. Lag continues to be its major ongoing nemesis. Maybe Luminar 4 will be the answer. :(

Pavan Lanka

I am so glad that I downloaded the trial version before purchasing. The lag is simply unacceptable. I have an iMac 5K with 32GB RAM and SSD harddrive.

I was looking for a replacement to Adobe Lightroom it seems like Luminar is not the one for it, will try Capture One Pro to see how it performs.

The features look good but the lag is completely unacceptable and makes the presence of good features moot.

KANG MONSAI

And now, there is a Luminar 4 ..... pay up coz no more free upgrade .... am stuck with this slow Luminar 3

Quoting this "Support: That is way too many pictures. Luminar is optimal for around 2000 to 3000. To figure you should start with a catalog having 100 pics and go from there."

Can Support point to where in the official documentation they suggest maximum catalog sizes?

Joseph Mina

@Pavan Lanka, I do not use the Photo Management feature too for the very reasons you cite. Instead my image library remains in Lightroom. I have used Luminar since the very beginning. Yet, lag time continues to be one of the apps unintended features.

When working with an image, time lag becomes the norm as I add layers. Raw images start at about 25mb so the lag is not because of the initial image size. After 3 layers, including masks, spinning beachballs for 30 seconds or more become the norm as the app attempts to process a change. I'm using an iMac with 3.8ghz processor, 40 GB of RAM and the latest version of OS X Mojave. So computer hardware is not the culprit.

This very slow response is the antithesis of my experience using Photoshop or Lightroom CC. No lag occurs when working across layers in Photoshop.

I sure hope Skylum remedies this lag before introducing Luminar 4. I too consider saying "enough".

Ken Cox

SKYLUM!!! I notified you of this issue November last year you promised a fix was on the way, that was 9 months ago. still not fixed though is it.

it takes me over 15 minutes to fire up this software, has been known to take 2 hours, lightroom, exposure 4 ( which is excellent I will add) capture one all load up in less than 5 seconds. I use them all depending on what I need to achieve.

I have over 100,000 images, which for a professional photographer is not unusual. In the past when I contacted support they said it was the size of my database. I suggest you structure your software better so it catalogs and does not try and read every image every time it fires up.
    lately, it will suddenly shut down so not only do we waste a lot of time loading we have the risk of it shutting down in the middle of our edits.

Get it sorted instead of moving on to future products fix your busted products first. real shame really I have been in contact with Alien skin creators of exposure 4 in the hope that they can add some of your features so I can dump this product for good.

Pavan Lanka

@Skylum Support,

If you are serious about fixing the performance issues with Luminar then please show that in actions. It will be helpful to see benchmark numbers for each release you come out with to help illustrate the focus you are putting towards this.

Some benchmarks that come readily to mind are:

1. Time to export 1,000 images from a catalog of size 100,000

2. Lag between image change / filter application in a catalog of size 100,000

3. Time to import 1,000 images into a catalog already of size 100,000

I'm also very disappointed by this software performance too :( It's slow, unresponsive and unstable... It's more smoke and mirrors than anything else. 

Stefano Albiero

Same experience, Core i7, 16 GB of ram, SSD: performance are drammatic, even with a catalogue with only 43 Pictures! No way, refund opportunity? Thanks

O B

Add one more.  Windows 10.  Core i7, 32GB RAM.  Unusable performance.

Specifically, the first part of the workflow which is marking, culling, and organizing a photo shoot into an album of "keepers" is unworkable.  Way to slow to advance to next image to preview.

Like others here I gave the free trial of 3.1.3.3920 a try looking for a Lightroom alternative, but this is not workable.  The edit functions seem workable in terms of features, but the speed of previews and therefore library management is a show stopper.

What's laughable is that even once a picture is loaded, moving away from it and back I have to wait to get the full resolution image again!  There is no caching of of the preview!

Just sitting there previewing an image the app consumes 7.2GB of RAM.  Which would be fine as there is plenty more free, if Luminar was actually using it for performance, like:

1 - Build a preview of the next image while I'm looking at the current so it's ready when I advance.

2 - Give me the option to pre-build previews for a folder (that I plan to work on) and save the previews!  So I can sort through my photos as reasonable speed before editing.

3 - Cache the previews once generated!  Going back and forth between images deciding which I want to keep shouldn't be a chore!

4 - Take advantage of the JPEG next to the RAW when available to give me something not blurry to look at while processing the RAW.

5 - Make use of the $800 GPU I have sitting in the machine.

That's some suggestions for you.  Hopefully you take them if not working on them already.  I'm not going to spend time contacting your support so please don't offer.

For now uninstalling.  Good luck.  I'll check in on progress in a few months if I don't land on something good by then.  Off to try DxO, Capture One and Darktable for now...

Elmer Laan

I'm so disappointed to be reading that even on brand new systems, Luminar is laggy when editing. I don't use the library function and yet if I use anymore than one plugin, it starts to lag... using layers and masks? Forget it!

Reading the posts from all these people with new computers and how much they are struggling has convinced me that the problem is with how Luminar is designed. Lightroom and Photoshop run fine with very little lag on my iMac despite being bloaty beasts. 

Nobody wants Sky AI... everyone wants to edit photos on software that is FAST... time is money and it seems that Skylum is more interested in bells and whistles than creating a product that works.

Reading these comments has convinced me that my journey with Luminar is at an end. I will not pay the upgrade price for Luminar 4... I would rather pay €145 a year for Lightroom and Photoshop and know that when I need to get work done, that I can get it done. 

Love the interface and there are some really great tools... but performance is everything and it is the one thing that Luminar seems to lack.

I know this is the Windows thread, but since the slowness of Luminar is also an issue on the Mac version, maybe other Mac users are reading this thread. If you wanna see how fast an app that edit RAW can be, just try RAWPower from https://gentlemencoders.com (the developper was working at Apple on Aperture).

The previews are almost instantaneous, even with a big album of thousands of pictures and also I tested without the Metal acceleration. I haven't seen the beach ball of death once since I'm using it. Even if the the last update is 6 month old.

This app is an example of what modern App should be. Native and fast. 

Anastasia Davis

Hi Xris! Did the performance change right after Catalina OS install? Was it smooth before?

j h

I just tested Luminar 4 on Windows 10.
    There is no performace improvement in rendering.
    You still have to wait a long time for the preview.
    There are no rendered previews saved in the Luminar catalog yet.
    Lighroom saves a preview after the import, these small files are used then,
    only during the export the original image files are used.
    The program is completely unusable for the evaluation of photos.

Post is closed for comments.