Luminar 3 is Too Slow!! unusable!!

Comments

121 comments

Dmytro S.

Hi Jeremy, thank you for your feedback! Luminar 3.1.1 is going to be released today in several hours. A major update should be awaited later this summer, we've been already working on it for some time.

Comment actions Permalink
    Jeremy Dinn

Is 3.1.1 free? Also will there be a cost to to the major update? I just bought this a month or two ago.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, the 3.1.1 update is free.

We do release paid major version upgrades, historically in the fall. Throughout the year we offer several free updates for both performance and functionality. The big difference between our software and the subscription model is that you are under no obligation to purchase the next major version upgrade and your existing software will continue to work, even if you choose not to upgrade.

KANG MONSAI

Hi,

There are functions in Luminar 3 v3.1.1 many photo  enthusiasts are happy with except its speed, especially its export speed.

If I have the requisite knowledge, I would re-write Luminar 3 and nitro its export speed to at least, the free Faststone.

Thanks for the continuous effort to speed things up.

I will be 68 next June and I find Luminar 3 to be slothfully fast. There must be some super-patient millennials out there :-)

Still un-usable with latest 3.1.1.330 patch. Just one example:

Windows

In thumbnail mode. grab the scrollbar, and move it a couple pages down. Here it takes 5-10 seconds to load the "thumbnails".

Until you re-engineer the Luminar catalog in Catalog\PreviewCache to be something more efficient (load it into a database instead of independent folders and subfolders of files that need to be read and cached). My previewCache is 700MB, with 55000 files and 32000 folders. 

Any browsing/moving should be less than 0.5 seconds. Anything more is unacceptable. 

You should still reverse engineer Picasa, and use them as an example. Even now on ancient hardware, the .db file implementation they use makes Luminar look like a turtle stuck in molasses, stuck in a tarpit stuck in a time bubble.

Juan Torres

Bought Luminar on dec 2018. Since then, I can not use it because is too slow.  I just update Luminar 3. Very disappointing! Very slow as always. Almost unusable. What a waste of money.

Maryna Skylum

Hi Juan Torres, Member,

If you're having any issues with our software, please contact us at support@skylum.com.

We'll investigate the issue.

Resh Z.

Seriously tech support??  That is your answer to all of this?

After seeing about 20 different people complaining about similar problems, you tell them to contact tech support?

This clearly tells me that something is not right with this company and/or software...

I hate these generic answers that help no one.

Victor Ha

I'm on an older MacBook pro running Mojave. Lightroom 6 isn't as fast as it was in El captian, but still very usuable. I'm trying to export 29 photos right now in Luminarwith basic exposure edits and almost no layers, it's been 15 mins and I'm 26 out of 29 photos. The software is laggy as well, each module takes forever to load. But using each module works fine when it loads. The same export in LR6 was about 90 seconds.

Yoke Wah Lee

I share the same experience with Luminar 3 which I have installed to my i5 16GB with 512GB SSD computer. First launch is so unbearably slow building up libraries. Even after completion, the next subsequent launches, I have wait for ages before I can start using it.

I have it uninstalled for now, I am using Luminar 2018 and Flex until further action has been taken to remedy this.

EMMANUEL FIANDINO

Hello. My Luminar software has serious problems: It closes without warning, is very slow, the software changes display format (it changes from the format with the side photos to mosaic mode). From the third photo record, it is stuck on the record. I can not use it. Yet I have a core i5 / 12GB / SSD evo 850 / Intel 4600HD graphics card. Do you have a solution to offer me because there, I can not use this software anymore

Clinton Weaver

Luminar 3 is seriously slow in exporting photos. It takes about an hour to export 136 photos to jpeg. I have just installed the latest update released somewhere around a week ago. I am running a MacBook Pro i7 with 16gb of ram with a 512gb SSD. I have 300gb of free space. It would be okay if it would let me do other editing while it exports, but it doesn't. It also makes it almost impossible to do anything else on my computer as it almost freezes my whole computer. What can be done about this. I was enjoying using the program, but this is unacceptable.

David Brown

I was really hopeful that 3.1.1 would be faster in the way I hoped it would be faster. I have a test library of 9 photos. Opening Luminar is definitely faster now, so kudos on that! However, opening images that I've edited takes anywhere from 5 to 11 seconds, usually on the slower end, before the controls are enabled and the image is ready to edit. Once it is fully loaded and ready edits are pretty snappy.

I really hope the opening of images will get faster. As it is now it's just not feasible for me to use, and I'm concerned I wasted my money buying into the Skylum ecosystem (with Aurora HDR, too, hoping for tight integration).

Maryna Skylum

Hi Clinton,

Please, contact us at support@skylum.com. We'll investigate the issue in a more detailed way.

Mike Beck

I purchased the Luminar 3 & Aurora bundle recently. My IMAC is older but snappy on most programs. I have a terabyte of free space on hard drive. My exports are as said here are beyond painfully slow. I was going to move program to my newer MacBook until I saw this blog. There best not be a “paid major update” until this issue is corrected! I’m starting to comment about this in my posts on Instagram. It’s a shame, so much of the program is good.

Helena Carter

Hi Mike,

We're constantly improving Luminar 3 performance and the new update will be released within a week.

However, if you're facing any issues with Luminar 3, please contact our Support Team via this form https://skylum.com/support

They will gladly assist you.

Jeremy Dinn

What is this update going to feature, and what version is it?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jeremy,

The next update will be Luminar 3.1.2. The update notes will be available to the public upon launch.

Jeremy Dinn

Thanks!

Ryan Karganilla

I agree with the others after updating to the latest version.  Been editing and exporting .NEF raw files to jpg and it's almost unusable. Loading the photos takes around 15-20secs sometimes more than that and sometimes loading the photo adjustment settings makes the application crash.  Exporting 100 photos to JPG is very slow too completing in almost 15min and sometimes the application crashes.  Leaving me unable to finish my tasks.

I'm using Windows 10, an 8-core processor at 4.2Ghz with 16GB RAM, GTX 1070 Ti graphics card if it needs graphics acceleration for processing and a Samsung 850 Pro SSD which technically does not have any issues with performance because it can run other applications in my computer (Lightroom, Affinity Photo, 4k video editing using Premiere Pro, etc.) with no problems except Luminar 3 which I don't understand why it's freakin' slow.

I'd really much like to use Luminar 3 most of the time and wanted to quit using Lightroom but this issue keeps bringing me back and it sucks at times.  I do hope the photo loading times gets fixed as I'm planning to buy Aurora HDR as well mostly for tight integration of the applications and also hoping that this issue doesn't plague Aurora HDR as well.

Matt Brown

I have cut my losses and gone back to Lightroom. What a difference in speed. I may not own the software and it may be a bit more expensive, but as far as I am concerned Luminar is unusable anyway so it is a no brainer for the value proposition they provide. The only expensive thing about Lightroom was leaving it to try Luminar. I'll never get back all the time wasted and I'm past the point of getting a refund from Skylum. 

Luminar may one day be a decent photo editing tool, but for now it is no where near any of its competitors and Skylum should be embarrassed by this fact. The only way I'll ever use Luminar is if the upgrades are free until it becomes usable; even then I may not as once bitten and twice shy.

Kate Williams

Hi Ryan,

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with our support team at https://skylum.com/support so that we could look into your particular case in a more detailed way.

@Matt - thank you for sharing your feedback. We'll keep improving and hope that you will give our software a chance in the future. You may run a free trial and if you ever need to extend it, please, contact us at https://skylum.com/support 

EMMANUEL FIANDINO

I think I will do the same and switch to lightroom because the support skylum does not respond to my messages and each update is worse and worse. I do not save or edit more than one photo each time, I am forced to restart the software. This is abnormal and outrageous

Helena Carter

Hi Emmanuel, 

I see that you have accidentally replied to the address which doesn't receive incoming email.

Please, make sure to contact us once again via this form and we will be glad to help you:

https://skylum.com/support

Gotthardt Lab

Same problems!

Lightroom is a little faster in calculating the previews but at least it stores them with the library, so reload is much faster.

Terribly irritating is the lack of an update on the thumbnails (Filmstrip), so it is really difficult to see how well fixeded images match.

Multiple crashes on a notebook with i7-6700 and 16 GB RAM (Windows 10 pro, all updates and Lumiar 3.1.2).

As the crashes are so frequent and the lack of responsiveness so obvious, maybe this should be prioritized versus introducing features like "on this day"...

Joseph Mina

Using an iMac 5K (2017) 3.8ghz with 40GB RAM, which ought to be plenty to run Luminar 3.1.2. My image catalog remains with Lightroom. Using the plugin within Lightroom CC to access Luminar. Working with RAW images from my Olympus OMD M1 MiI camera.

So much lag (spinning beachball) in Luminar, especially when working with multiple layers and masks. Really gets in the way of any creative flow. Also, the inability to move an image up/down with mouse or trackpad when in brush mode makes this process all the more awkward. Even worse, using my Wacom Tablet accentuates the lag even more with masking or simple zoom. Yes, I'm using the latest Wacom driver. 

One thing is readily obvious as I watch GB of memory disappear. There's some major memory leaks in the Luminar code. Wish Skylum would focus on getting the app right rather than throwing more features on top of a flawed foundation.

Disappointed is an understatement. I've used Luminar since its early days. Lag continues to be its major ongoing nemesis. Maybe Luminar 4 will be the answer. :(

Gary McLemore

The library previews do not represent the edited image, Getting a fair amount of lag & experiencing random shutdowns of the program with no warning.  I'm using a i7, 32gb ram, 1070TI video and duel SSD drives so there should not be any lag... All that aside i'm going to stick it out with Skylum and keep Luminar 3 & hope future updates will resolve these issues.  I axed the Adobe stuff last month and I don't want to go back to the subscription based plan.   I'm rooting for you Luminar team. 

UPDATE: Support wanted me to try all kinds of fixes. We should not have to go through this kind of trouble with this software, now a Luminar 4 is coming out without fixing the most basic problems in the current version.  I didn’t have the above issues with the other software I have reviewed. I received a full refund. 

Pavan Lanka

I am so glad that I downloaded the trial version before purchasing. The lag is simply unacceptable. I have an iMac 5K with 32GB RAM and SSD harddrive.

I was looking for a replacement to Adobe Lightroom it seems like Luminar is not the one for it, will try Capture One Pro to see how it performs.

The features look good but the lag is completely unacceptable and makes the presence of good features moot.

Helena Carter

Hi,

For everyone who are facing issues with Luminar 3:

We're collecting feedback on Luminar 3 performace, so please contact our Support Team via this form so we could look deeper: https://skylum.com/support

KANG MONSAI

And now, there is a Luminar 4 ..... pay up coz no more free upgrade .... am stuck with this slow Luminar 3

Post is closed for comments.