Luminar 3 is Too Slow!! unusable!!

Comments

108 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bruno,

I'm sorry to hear that Luminar isn't performing as well as you'd hoped. We are working to improve the performance with each update. The next one is scheduled for the end of Spring.

Luminar's performance can vary based on your hardware configuration. May I ask how much RAM your computer has? An SSD drive and discrete graphics card can also make a significant difference in performance.

Comment actions Permalink
    Erwin Kargl

Hi Angela, what's "end of spring"? Spring only began a view days ago (21. of March), end of spring is end of May?! What's about your Roadmap?
    Erwin

Angela Andrieux

Hi Erwin,

The roadmap is indeed in need up updating it (our web team is working on it). We'll release more info on the timing of the update when we get closer to the release.

Bruno Choi

Surface Pro Windows 10 

i5-7300U CPU @2.60GHz 2.71GHz

8GB RAM

Good enough?

Helena Carter

Hi Bruno,

Yes, your PC seems compatible with Luminar 3. Please, make sure you have 10GB free disk space. Also, in order to improve the performance, please, try dividing your Library into several Catalogs.

Bruno Choi

more than 40GB. Still very slow. 

It's not about loading the catalogs. it's about loading what I edited on the photos. click between the photos. and it needs minute for loading. 

Bruno Choi

Umm... I found that not only loading/ image processing for edited images are slow. The images that hvnt been edited still require years for loading clearer images. nothing i can do but juz waiting. 

For the preview of the edited images, the previews are always inaccurate and incorrect!!! 

sometimes, i dont even know whether it is loading. It juz show a blurred image. No "image processing"

Juz wait wait wait 

80% of my time is used for waiting rather than editing. 

Juz 100 pics loaded in a catalog.. Do you think more than 100 pics for an event are "too many" ??? 

Bruno Choi

i bought luminar 2018 for upgrading to luminar 3. then, i waited for the updates and “improved performance”
    but it doesnt do well
    can i make the refund now?

Dmytro B.

Hi Bruno, I am sorry for the inconveniences. Yes, we can issue a refund. Could you please contact our support team at support@skylum.com?

Bernd Meyer

Yes I had the same bad experience on my MacBook Air. Luminar 3 seems to have a serious memory leak. The memory consumption is constantly rising and after some time it starts to swap and freezes my Mac. I also will request a refund.

Dmytro B.

I'd recommend waiting for the next update, as we'll release it within a week. However, if you'd like to get a refund - please contact us via email. 

El-Benja Ibarra

I spent the afternoon using the new Luminar 3.1.0. What a pain!!! It crashed several times and when reopening the app it takes foreeeeeeever to get started. When syncing edits with other images it is really slow opening edited images (updating all sliders). After 3 hour or so I am exhausted just from all the waiting and dead time caused by the poor performance of the software. I really like the options Luminar offers and believe that it has a lot of potential, but unfortunately it is still just a plugin for LR and nothing beyond that. 

Keith George

I agree the current update of Luminar 3.1.0 is painfully slow, as well I'm still having problems with the program freezing and crashing. I still can still edit in Apple Aperture3, obviously not with all the extra bells and whistles, but it s fast even running off an external drive and runs smooth.. I have never owned LR but its looking better unfortunately as more and more time passes.  Skylum lets get the program running fast and smoothly with important features like, key wording and the ability to edit the file name, instead of trying to add all theses fancy AI tools and other things.  Im running Luminar on a MacBook Pro and iMac with more then enough power to edit and render video fast and this program (Luminar 3.1.0 bogging it down, heating it up and being a power hog..     

Mistr Skurtu

I agree as well that this software is painfully slow, and almost unusable, which is a major issue for me that has existed for a long time now. I have a high-end computer with 64GB of ram, 16 core processor, one of the fastest SSDs on the market (Samsung EVO Pro 970 NVMe), and an Nvidia GTX1080 Ti and this software runs like a dog. There isn't enough fluff Skylum can add to the software to make it a viable option for editing photos if it isn't responsive like the compentition's software. How can this software be in such a state after being 7 years old? I would expect this kind of performance from software that just hit the market yesterday. Sad.....

Resh Z.

I totally agree, have been thinking of switching over from lightroom and got the L3 trial version 2 days ago. The program looks beautiful and would be a banger, were it not for the super slow loading of 1 image to process, or freezing up when adding a mask layer (3 times in a row)...

I am glad I didnt pay any money for this program, at the moment it is almost unusable...

Real shame as I think it looks amazing and has great potential to be something great.

for your info:

Surface Book 2

i7-8650U @ 1.90GHz, onboard Intel UHD 620 with Nvidia Gtx 1060, 16 Gb RAM, Windows 10 64 bit

Yeah, quite unusable. Take a page out of the picasa app's library viewer (google). That's the speed any photography app should be able to scroll/display thumbnails at. And that's what, 7 year old software?

John Nisbet

Comparing Luminar Flex and Luminar 3 at idle, Flex uses virtually no resources where Lumiar 3 uses 27% of processing power and 5 times the memory; this would leave me to believe the slowdown has something do to with the catalog.  I hope Accent AI 2 will be added to Luminar Flex sometime soon.

Kirk Osborn

The update for Luminar Flex will be released later this year.

Frederic Bultot

I just download the latest release of Luminar 3.1.02942. Quickly installed on my PC (i7-7700K @4.2GHz, 32GB RAM, 512GB & 2TB SSD, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, 27' monitor 2560x1440). Fire my D850 and get few RAW pictures (8256x5504 53.3MB each).

Each time I touch parameters on any filters, or add any of them, Luminar freeze during around 10 seconds. Switching between two pictures, Luminar needs 15 seconds to give you back control.

I really love this interface and features (Accent AI filter 2.0 is amazing) but unfortunately I cannot work with Luminar in its current state as it is by far too slow.

I am glad I didn't purchase it yet but use the trial program to test it. I will come back when a new release will be announced.

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

Matt Brown

Luminar is a joke. I have a high spec macbook pro and am trying to edit a catalog of just 40 photos and it crashes regularly. The overall experience is super slow as sometimes I wait for 10 seconds just to make a simple adjustment.

I wanted to change to a non LR workflow and have fully committed so far. But enough is enough after 6 months of pain, Luminar is just a toy product that wants to market itself as a professional tool so it can charge professional tool prices. It is basically an instagram filter app with an opinionated, heavy handed artistic style at its core. 

Helena Carter

Hi Matt,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with Luminar 3.

Please, contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will help you troubleshoot the issues you have encountered.

Andy Chan

I have similar experience too! It took 10 to 15 seconds to switch and load data/info of each picture and even crushed when switching back to some edited photos. My Imac has 32G ram running at I5 2.9GHz with a separate display card and 2T free space in system.  I have tried to load photos from external SSD thunderbolt drive and USB 3.0 hard drive but the speed is the same. Slow exporting speed of raw to jpg files which take 30 seconds for one photo is another problem too. 

I am disappointed with the performance of Luminar 3. I used Aperture 3 for 5 years handling thousands of photos without any speed issue. Even the successor, Photos, is even more stable.   

Luminar should resolve this speed issue at top priority and provide update asap.

Kim Freyberg

I bought luminar for almost 2 years ago. I haven't had the chance to enjoy this software. It looked som promising to me and the interface looks cool. But It's slow upon slow. The latest version, beside of being slow, sucks al the power out of my windows pc. Even after 2 years I'm still waiting for the good version of this software. And I can see on the internet, that so many users got same problems. I don't understand whats going on and why?

Kirk Osborn

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We appreciate it.

Our engineering team is working around the clock to make Luminar better.

Kim Freyberg

That sounds nice, but I don't understand after 2 years the same problems are still present: Slow slow slow freeze slow jam restart slow slow slow..... give up

rebekah link

I am so sad.. I thought maybe it was my computer, but I have a new 2018 Mac Pro.. Its not just me though, its a whole bunch of people.  I'm so sad, I love Luminar, it is way slower than before. Mine keeps freezing too. Bummer man. Back to Capture One for now I guess.  Hope it can get sorted, you guys have an excellent program for sure.

James Wright

I have a windows 10 laptop (Lenovo l380 yoga) with 16gig of ram and a quad core i5 2.4 ghz processor. Its definitely not blazing fast, but the complaints I am seeing here are not exactly what I am seeing. Takes 5 seconds to switch photos and get control. It does crash sometimes but I have yet to loose work from it. Overall I really like Luminar 3! It is great as it stands and has so much potential. I wonder if this is more of a Mac issue.

Also, you definitely need 16 gigs of ram at least as 8 gigs will definitely not cut it. That should be anyone's first upgrade for doing photo processing. I saw several list that as their specs.

Keep the updates coming! I am definitely a happy customer!

I also have 2 Macs and work with Lightroom 6c and old Mac Aperture. I'm so disappointed as much I could love Luminar 3 with newest update, it is way slower than Lightroom. And also mine keeps freezing too sometimes. I am back to Lightroom as it is about 3 times faster in working operation and about 10 times faster in jpg export. It is nice to play with Luminar, but for me it proved useless in a reasonable workflow in its performance compared to Lightroom 6c. I truly hope it can get sorted out soooooon! I wish you guys to work smart not only hard, to make that thing work fine, pls smile! 

Jeremy Dinn

I'm only really disappointed with the export speed. I have a Yoga 910 that I do some editing on that only has 8gb of RAM. It does have a very fast i7 in it however. The speed of most everything besides export speed is acceptable in my eyes. When will we see a true update for this software that makes it faster? This is my favorite tool for editing, as it is so feature rich, but sometimes the speed of certain features just isn't there. I'd also like an option to select a ton of photos and be able to right click with a 'move to' selector. You can do it with a drag, but this could create errors if someone slips on the mouse a bit, as sometimes a mistake can be made. If this piece of software gets blazing fast, I see little on the market that can compete with it. Get your coffee cups out Luminar and truly work day and night, and this is easily the best. I've made some amazing photo's using this. Please let me know when to expect and update, and not just leave me/us in the dark with the generic "we'll let you know through our Roadmap" answer. Thanks for the awesome software so far though. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.