Comments

18 comments

Steve Ratts

@Robert are you concerned that installing Luminar Flex will somehow remove the plugins for L3? If so rest assured it does not. I’ve got Luminar 2018, Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex all installed and coexisting. I’m able to send photos to any of these from within LR and PS. The plugins coexist and don’t interfere with each other

Comment actions Permalink
    Steve Ratts

Oh Rats. I see what you’re talking about now. I did some poking around on this forum and found where Richard Harrington (Skylum Team) says they plan to end plugin capabilities in L3. Sorry for misunderstanding Robert! This is disappointing!

Robert Davidson

Yes if I understand correctly Luminar 3.1 will lose plugins and I would not be able to work the way I do.

I don't want to have to run Flex and Luminar with libraries as well!! Why can't Luminar 3.1 have all options or just leave it as 3.02 is now with the plugins and Library?

Robert Davidson

Steve I want to be able to work within the Library, edit an image, and then switch over to Photoshop to do more work on an image if I choose. It is only after opening an image in the Library that I might decide to use both Luminar editing and Adobe camera Raw editing.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Robert and Steve! 

I am sorry to say but indeed we are going to remove the functionality to use Luminar 3 as a plugin to other host applications. 

This is the reason why we have released Luminar Flex which is a fully functional plugin to the most popular host applications. 

David Tillett

Hi Anna,

I understand that following the upgrade it will not be possible to call Luminar 3 as a plugin from Lightroom etc., but will it still be possible to call other plugins and open in applications such as Photoshop as it does now?

Once standalone support has been removed from Luminar Flex will it still be possible to call it from applications such as Bridge which can access external editors via "Open With", and if so will it still be possible to open plugins from within Luminar Flex when it is called in this way?

Robert Davidson

Hi Anna,

David has understood my concern. Will it be possible to call other applications from Luminar with Libraries. That is - can I work on an image from the Library in Luminar then select  "Open in Photoshop " as it works now? cheers Rob

Peter Gladstein

Not sure why they are doing this. 

I would urge Skylum to consider two versions. This is what ON1 does (ON1 Effects and ON1 Photo RAW).

V1 - Standalone, Plugin and External Editor

V2 - Standalone, Plugin, External Editor, Batch and DAM

Robert Davidson

Thanks Howard, I'm aware of that link on the differences in Flex and L3. That is what prompted my question and post on the forum. So I still don't have an answer to my question -

Can I work on an image from the Library in Luminar (3.1 with Libraries),  then select  "Open in Photoshop " as it works now?

I don't need to use L3 as a plugin from outside the app (Photoshop etc), I just want to be able to "Open in Photoshop" the image from the Library when within L3!

Howard Lebowitz

Robert,

The workflow of going from L3 Library to Photoshop does not appear to use the Plug-in. Basically you are just opening the image from the Library in PSCC and then saving your PS edits from there back to the Finder folder where you choose.

The Plug-in seems to be only working from LRCC or PSCC and editing in LR3 or Flex and returning back to the host of PSCCor LRCC.

So when they remove the Plug-in from L3 next update you cannot do the workflow FROM PSCC to L3 but can do it in Flex.

Since your workflow is the opposite of the Pug-in I don's see why it would not continue to work in L3 with Libraries. Make sense?

Also, since FLEX will NOT be standalone after next update your workflow would only work in L3 with Libraries.

Colin Grant

That's how I understood it - L3 will not act as a plugin to other apps but other apps will be able to be called from L3. But Flex does work standalone. If launched from the desktop you get the below screen. If you open a raw file from here the raw develop filter is not there by default but can be added.

Robert Davidson

Thank you Howard and Colin! If that is the case then I'm happy.

Anna did not respond to my post so I wasn't confident that I could still work the way I have been.

I like Luminar the way it is - Sort thru my Library of 10000 images, find an image to process and then export or Open in Photoshop for extra touch ups.

Howard Lebowitz

Colin, according to Skylum future release of Flex will not have the Open Image feature...

10. Can I use Luminar Flex as a standalone application?

The Luminar Flex plugin is only meant to be used as a plugin.  It is not meant to be used as a standalone application. The application is only provided so you can manage the configuration of Luminar Looks and workspaces.  It can also be used to manually install or uninstall the plugin with additional hosts.

SEE: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360043019691-Luminar-FLEX-is-here 

Colin Grant

Well it does it at the moment so we should wait and see. Why include it now and then take it away I wonder! In any event you should still be able to right click on an image and select Open With. That works with Mac ok now.

Howard Lebowitz

Right, you never know what Skylum is going to do and they often post incorrect information and links.

Robert should be fine either way since he is not calling Flex or L3 as a plugin but going in the opposite direction and is using L3 as his host DAM program.

Richard Harrington

Luminar 3 will continue to be able to RUN plugins inside of it.

Luminar Desktop will lose the ability to run as a plugin itself in the near future.  This is why we gave all folks who owned Luminar 3 a copy of Flex.

• If you want to use Luminar as a Desktop app use Luminar 3
    • If you want to use Luminar as a plugin use Luminar Flex

If running Luminar as a desktop application, you can use many PSD plugins with it.  Not all are compatible, but the list continues to grow.

Going forward, users should buy the version of Luminar they need. if they want both desktop and plugin, then please purchase both versions.  You can contact support about crossgrades or switching a license between desktop and plugin if you change your mind on workflow.

Thanks

Steve Ratts

Thanks for the clarification Richard.

I'd just like to go on the record as being completely opposed to this direction you guys have chosen and very much disappointed. You're going to waste valuable time and energy actually *removing* perfectly good functionality, to say nothing of dividing your already strained resources across two products where there should only be one. It's no wonder why so many important things on the roadmap have slipped when your developers have been tied up branching off Flex when they should have been fixing problems.

Steve

Please sign in to leave a comment.