Luminar Flex with Affinity Photo

Comments

14 comments

Eduardo Mueses

Just tried. Added it to the available plugins but does not seem to work...

Comment actions Permalink
    Ann Hassig

It works as a plugin for Affinity Photo for me.

Matthias Allgayer

I also would like to have Luminar Flex as a plugin for Affinity Photo. Ann Hassig, how did you get it to work? Are you on Mac?

Stephen Abshire

I was able to get the plugin to launch from within Affinity Photo and view the image thumbnail in the "looks" at the bottom, however, the image itself in the main window is not visible. Actually even if I open the "sample image" included with the application I have the same behavior as described above. Going to uninstall / reinstall to see if that helps.

Update: No still cannot see the image in the main editing window but I see the preview of it in the looks area.

Ann Hassig

I'm on windows,didn't realize I'd gotten on the mac section. It was there with luminar 2018 in the plugins section.I originally had to add it to Affinity, also nik and topaz. I don't remember exactly what I did but if you google "add plugins to Affinity" the instructions should come up. I think they were in the Affinity forum somewhere too,if you can't find them I can look for you.

Ann

Terry Luckings

Well I've just spent the best part of an hour trying to get AP to work with Flex, using various different plugins with no success.

I can get the plugin to show on the AP drop down menu but when you select the option it says the plugin has started but nothing else happens. Eventually (after minutes) I have to force quit from AP to progress. I've also tried with L3, L2018 & Aurora 2019 and all have the same result. I have looked at the Affinity forum and after a bit of delving around it does state that L2018 and Aurora 2018 is not compatable, but the list has not been updated for a while.

So the conclusion I've come to is that the Skylum plugins are not compatible with AP which is a shame as both products are touted as a Lightroom/Photoshop alternatives, but Adobe is supported by each.

Its also disappointing that there has been no comment on this issue by Skylum, although I have not yet raised a ticket with their support staff I was hoping for a comment here.

Eduardo Mueses

Terry, I have gone through the same exercise with the same results. I have also tried other apps like On1, Topaz Studio and Alien Skin Exposure with some level of success but none of them very clean.

I will think that Skylum concentrated their developing efforts into making it compatible with the top dogs like Adobe PS, LR and Apple Photos. It's probably all about market share...

Matthias Allgayer

Ann, thanks for your response. I know the discussions in the Affinity forum, as I did some searches about Luminar in the forum. So I was hoping you've found a solution.

Today I did the same things Terry and Eduardo did with exactly the same results. I alos tried with the most recent public beta of Affinity Photo but it makes no difference.

All my computers are completely Adobe-free and I won't change this in any way. So I uninstalled Luminar Flex as I have no usage for it.

Bob Shrader

Before Affinity Photo was born, I used a German photo editor called PhotoLine as one of my substitutes for Adobe products. I continue to use it for plugins because the Affinity folks seem to give a low priority to compatibility with external plugins. Luminar Flex works well when run with that app.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

Luminar Flex does not officially support Affinity, but the plugin may work since Affinity support Photoshop Style plugins.

If you have Photoshop already installed on your computer, Affinity should also be able to find/make use of the .8bf plugin file.

If you do not have Photoshop installed you can download the .8bf plugin file here. You can then point Affinity to this plugin file and it should work.

Bob Shrader

On macOS 10.14.4 --

Angela, thanks for providing an .8bf version of the Luminar Flex plugin. I downloaded the plugin and tried in both the shipping version of Affinity Photo and the latest beta version, but no luck.

Again, we seem to be at the mercy of the software engineers at Serif, where there seems to be little interest in getting Affinity Photo to the point where it can run most Photoshop plugins.

Roy Blackwell

On my Windows 10 machine, I have Luminar Flex working as a plugin as follows:

In Affinity Photo, go to Edit... Preferences... Photoshop Plugins and choose "Add." Point it to  C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar Flex. Affinity Photo will prompt a restart. After the restart, load a photo and choose Filters... Plugins and you will have access to Luminar Flex. The actual plugin file is LuminarFlex.8bf.

Terry Luckings

Thanks Angela for the .8bf file but like Bob I've had no luck in getting it to work but the reply I've had from the support team (Anna) quotes "We will do our best to add the possibility to use Luminar Flex as a plugin to Affinity." So there may be hope for us, eventually.

It seems that Windows user have one up on us. However Anna goes onto say "It is not officially documented functionality to use Luminar Flex with Affinity and as far as I know, it doesn't work on Mac." This point I can confirm as correct at this time.

But that is where the good news ends. I did ask for clarification on Maryna Skylum's post in the forum about Flex and that it will have the ‘standalone option’ removed and it can only be used as a plugin in a future update. Anna's response was not very clear and quoted "Yes, this the question that might be discussed but initially we released Luminar Flex to be used as a plugin." So I still don't know if the stand alone is going to be removed.

Like many others, at this moment in time, I also have doubts over the DAM and its issues. I hope I can be persuaded otherwise with updates but with L3 planned to lose the plugin feature and Flex losing its standalone ability my long and happy association with MacPhun/Skylum may come to an end as I refuse to be an Adobe user.

I do hope that Skylum can clarify the position regarding the 2 apps so that I, and probably many others, can start to plan as to the way forward.

Bob Shrader

Terry's argument is right. Do not remove the standalone function in Luminar Flex!

Please sign in to leave a comment.