Comments

18 comments

Jerry Dean

This is typical for Skylum, their schedule differs from real time.

Comment actions Permalink
    Ross Collins

Specifically - "Luminar Flex will be released at the end of March."

Jerry Dean

Today is the end of March, where is Luminar Flex?

Tony Collins

See answer to my similar question at the end of this thread:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360042779011-Luminar-Plugin

Helena Carter

Hi Everyone ,

Luminar Flex will be released within a week. We're really sorry for the confusion.

Have a great day!

Tony Collins

I was told the same thing on Friday "within a week". Does that mean we are on day for day slippage at the moment? or will it really be by Friday this week?

Helena Carter

Hi Tony ,

Just heard from our Team - currently, we plan the release on April, 4.

Best regards

Howard Lebowitz

Helena, when FLEX is installed will it recognize all the Looks and Workspaces I have in L3 or is there a procedure to migrate to the plug-in only version Luminar. I want to use FLEX only and remove L3 with Libraries

Tony Collins

Thanks Helena - I look forward to seeing it.

Maryna Skylum

Hi @Howard Lebowitz
    Looks and Workspaces for Luminar Flex will be different and suitable only for this app. However, there will be a workaround, which will give one an opportunity to install Looks from Luminar 3 into Luminar Flex manually.

Howard Lebowitz

Will (is) there any documentation on this functionality and procedure? Would like to understand how and why -- other than Libraries -- Flex differs from L3. 

In reading the biog post it implied that the only difference was removing Libraries from Flex and Plug-in from L3. I was under the impression that editing functionality would be the same. Is this not true?

Colin Grant

That will be useful. Thank you.

Maryna Skylum

We know that there are plenty of Adobe and Apple users who want to use Luminar in their workflow.

So we’ve come up with a solution that will provide the easiest way of using Luminar (Flex) as a plugin to the most popular apps.

Luminar 3 is meant to be used as a standalone application. It offers three different editing workflows:

Library – Add folders that you want to track to your library for organizing and editing. Easily sync adjustments between multiple images.
    Quick Edit – The Quick Edit command is perfect to open individual images or a group of images for editing. You can work with these images without adding the parent folder to your library.
    Batch Processing – You can target multiple images or folders for quick batch processing. Easily apply smart Luminar Looks based on Accent AI for automatic image enhancement

If you ever want to use Luminar as a plugin, we recommend installing the Luminar Flex plugin. Luminar Flex is designed to work as a plugin with applications like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom Classic, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Apple Aperture and Photos for macOS.

Remember: If you own Luminar 2018 or Luminar 3, you get a free version of Luminar Plugin in your Skylum Account when it ships

Colin Grant

On the basis the Library sucks and is forever eating edits and that L2018 worked and still works exceptionally well as a plugin this all looks to be smoke and mirrors to me. No doubt L3 needs rebuilding (or dumping) and Skylum need some working products around to keep them going! Maybe it would help if you guys just focussed on one product rather than jumping on every money making hyped up idea you can find. The good thing is that in Flex we are promised compatibility with smart objects.

Howard Lebowitz

Colin, all good points. I definitely do not like the Library feature in L3. So if Flex performs the edit functionality as well as L2018 then I can accept that. Since I paid for L2018 and got L3 for "free" I am not all that concerned.

I just want them to answer my question about Looks and Workspaces which I still do not understand why they are not the same in L3 and Flex.

Colin Grant

There is something very wrong in the way Skylum develop their software it would seem, Howard. Did we not have a similar thing in that L3 did not bring across all the L2018 presets? Not only does their software start life with an enormous amount of bugs and functionality shortfalls, each new release seems to try and distance itself from what went previously. I have an email somewhere from Support that says they will be issuing updates to L2018. That has all gone quiet and we now have Flex that appears to replace 2018 - perhaps another question is will Flex bring across the presets we already have in L2018? @Maryna, could you advise please?

Howard Lebowitz

Maryna said "Looks and Workspaces for Luminar Flex will be different and suitable only for this app. However, there will be a workaround, which will give one an opportunity to install Looks from Luminar 3 into Luminar Flex manually."

This is very puzzling if the supposed difference is removal of the Library feature and making Flex a plug-in. If the code split is just that why would it be so difficult to automatically import the L3 presets and workspaces?

It does not make sense.

Colin Grant

If Luminar Flex is the alternative to 2018 I would at least expect the 2018 presets to come across, but doubt they will. They talk in riddles, Howard. From what Maryna has said L3 and Flex cannot be that different if there is a workaround. As I said it seems they build in these differences on purpose. Nothing makes sense but I suspect that at the end of the day it is all about cash flow.

Please sign in to leave a comment.