Merged layers for a focus stack can't be edited as a raw image anymore?

Comments

6 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi David,

I'd suggest keeping each image layer intact rather than using the Merged or Stamped layer option.

To copy filters between layers I suggest creating a custom Look (preset) on the first layer and then applying that Look to each image layer as you go.

Comment actions Permalink
    David Medeiros

Thanks Angela. Unfortunately that doesn't address local adjustments that need to span both layers or images. I use luminosity and brush-in masks as well as dodging and burning a lot in my post. Also the histograms of both images may differ slightly, resulting in slightly different results from the look between layers. I really need to be able to blend the layers together for a focus stack, then make adjustments as a single raw image. If this isn't possible in L3 now it would make a great update. Manual blending of images for focus depth or other local adjustments is a pro level feature L3 should have IMO.

Angela Andrieux

Hi David,

You can also copy masks between layers so that adjustments are made locally instead of globally.

I will certainly share your feedback and suggestions with our developers for their consideration.

David Medeiros

Please do. I'm playing around with working on both layers now, but it's already obvious that this is not a good long term solution. We really need to be able to stack images for blending and then work on them as a whole, in raw.

Another thing I'm noticing about this process that could be updated is the "Add New Image Layer..." feature. It automatically opens a file browser for you to pick a new image from your HD, but with L3 including libraries this feels antiquated. It would make more sense if there was an option to open an image from your library or open the file browser. Thanks for your help and for passing these suggestions on!

David Medeiros

Also, and this does not need to be passed on (yet) but there is a lot of buggy behavior in L3 on my Mac when running two layers like this. I may just need to get used to the workflow, but I keep having to back out and come back into the stacked and blended image to refresh the look on screen after truing different things to it.

Angela Andrieux

Hi David,

I agree that an interface to find images within the library for image layers would be beneficial. It is already on our feature request list.

If you encounter issues that you can replicate, please note the steps and forward them to us at www.skylum.com/support so we can investigate the issue.

Please sign in to leave a comment.