Comments

15 comments

John Jennings

Glad to hear about the new plug-in version of Luminar...if it works with Lightroom Classic desktop, I’m in!

Comment actions Permalink
    Franc Woods

Is there a list of software that will be able to support the plugins?  How about Affinity Photo?

Dave Kosiur

I'm confused. Luminar 3, in its current incarnation, works fine as a plugin with Lightroom and Photoshop. Are you rolling out the plugin because it's a "slimmer" version which might cause fewer problems than Luminar 3 operating as a plugin with some apps? Does the plugin use less RAM than Luminar 3?

Pierre Alarie

I have Luminar 2018 and Luminar 3 on Windows 10. I am very interesting with the plugin. I have a question: is this plugin will work with Photoshop Elements 15 - Affinity - Lightroom 5.7 ? I hope it will be work with Photoshop Elements Windows ! Thank you for responding.

Colin Grant

Lr 2018 also works as a plugin as does L3. From the Skylum release it looks like there will now be two versions a sort of L2018 that works as a plugin and standalone but without the Library and L3 which will only work standalone with the Library. That perhaps is what was being alluded to when Skylum staff said there would be updates to 2018. It is of course absolutely unnecessary as Luminar works well as a plugin already. I suspect the pathetic launch of L3 is resulting in lost revenue and this is a way to repair the damage. Probably the closest the CEO will come to admitting they got it wrong :-)

Still it is all upside as it provides an option to get away from the Library and allows us to use a DAM of choice.

Greg Steffen

I think this is a good idea. I have used Lightroom for years and was very excited to use Luminar 3. However my system is just too old and limited on both my Mac and PC to run Lu3 standalone with any speed. So I am thinking a plugin will be a good compromise. 

Colin Grant

It runs as a plugin now so why do you think it will be any faster? L 2018 ran/runs as a plugin as well and that has no Library - how did that run on your computers? Remember as a plugin all it is doing is accepting a file from Lr which it processes in stand alone mode and then sends back to Lr. The processing power required from the computer will be the same.

Greg Steffen

Lightroom is fast but Luminar 3 is slow on my pc. So if I work in Lightroom and only jump to Lu3 for a short time and jump back out the overall workflow would be faster. I was hoping LU3 with the library would replace Lr all together. But it does not work so well as a library on my equip.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

Let me do my best to answer all of the questions:

Luminar Plugin will play well with a variety of host applications including Lightroom (I don't know which versions for sure, but I anticipate Classic CC and LR6), Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, and Apple Photos. Affinity Photo should be able to recognize the .plugin or .8bf file to utilize the plugin in a similar fashion to photoshop. Other asset managers should also be able to recognize Luminar plugin as an external editor.

Luminar Plugin will replace the plugin functionality currently in Luminar 3. Luminar 3 will be fore those who want to use it as a standalone application and as their host application for accessing other plugins. Those using L3 as their primary editor can work with images via the Library, Quick Edit mode, and batch processing.

The Luminar Plugin will not have the Library functionality and will be for use when using another application as your host.

If I missed anything or can further clarify, please let me know.

Colin Grant

It is exactly what I want then Angela so thanks for that. Only one more question - will it have Luminar project files?

Helena Carter

Hi Colin,

You will be able to save project files in Luminar Plugin, but not in the initial release. Currently, there's no ETA yet.

Frank Fiorentino

what is all this talk about a new plugin? I don't ever receive product related emails from Skylum for the products I have paid for.

Colin Grant

I never got the email either, Frank. I picked it up from a post on Facebook!

Frank Fiorentino

I guess Skylum removes the most vocal from communication. That's OK. I only come here to get a good laugh at how not to do business.

Helena Carter

Hi Frank,

We'll contact you via email regarding the issue.

Please sign in to leave a comment.