Working on multiple computers

Comments

8 comments

Steve Ratts

@Leo,

If what you'd ultimately like to do is to have each different machine using it's own catalog on it's own drive, then I don't believe this is possible yet. They've hinted that they intend to bring back .lmnr files which would make that possible; but looking just now  I don't see that listed anywhere on the Roadmap.

Personally, I think doing it via .lmnr files will be just a band-aid and result in a rather kludgy workflow. Can you imagine having to painstakingly save each file you want to do this with from one machine, then import them all back in on the other machine?

A somewhat easier way you can already accomplish this is to place your catalog on an external drive and move that from machine to machine. You won't be able to have it open on two machines simultaneously, but maybe that's not a problem?

Comment actions Permalink
    Leo Wilson

Having output files would most certainly be the answer to this problem (and is the answer that I was hoping a Skylum employee would come back with).. One of the reasons behind me asking the question is that I've lost a substantial amount of work through the catalogue crapping out. I'm not sure what you're imagining in terms of workflow, but I think it creates an imaginary barrier for you.

Having a robust backup option would help mitigate the sense of distrust I have. Having a robust backup option should have been a prerequisite to launching, but Alex et al view these things differently.

Leila Evans

Hi - You can use the library on several devices. All you need is to point where your Luminar Catalog is. Please note, for now, you can use Catalog within one platform (Mac-Mac, Win-Win). Here is an article: https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-12-managing-libraries 

Steve Ratts

@Leo,

Yes, being able to output a file that contains the edits will solve the problem; and as you point out also offer some insurance against loosing edits if a catalog becomes corrupted. I've personally not experienced the catalog corruption issues that you and others have reported, but I can certainly see where it would be appealing to have some insurance against such loss and outputing files that contain and preserve edits would be one way to solve that.

To me, that sounds like a really kludgy way to solve the problem and I would not look forward to saving each file, one-by-one, just to protect my time invested in editing. I would rather they flat out solve the catalog corruption problems so that such things become vanishingly rare (I suppose there may always be a HW failure risk of catalog corruption which is something SW can't help much with other than backups to other HW).

Compare this to how LR works (for me, that's the gold standard and consequently the yardstick I like to use). In LR I can create a small trip catalog on my laptop and use that while on the road, then later merge the whole trip catalog into my main catalog when I get home. To me that's a lot less kludgy than saving umpteen individual files, and then loading those back in.

To be honest, I think we're more likely to see them bring back saving .lmnr files as a solution - at least in the short term. And yes, that will solve this problem, while also creating some insurance against loss of some edits. What happens after you've imported those files into the catalog on your main machine and then edited them further? Are you planing to save each file individually each time you edit it? Maybe not a bad plan for now, but dang that will suck as far as workflow goes.

Cheers,

Steve

Leo Wilson

There's a bit of an alignment gap between that article and reality... Is it based on a future version or a wishlist?

Leo Wilson

Hi Leila - where is the back up option mentioned in that article?

Anna Veres

Hi Leo, 

I am sorry for the confusion. 

Backups are automatically created on Windows. 

If you need to restore the Catalog from the Backups, please follow the steps below:

• Make sure Luminar is closed.
    • Navigate to where your catalog is stored.
    • Locate the Backups folder in the catalog and open it.
    • In the Backups folder, select a file that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and copy the file somewhere where you can easily access it.
    • Rename the file you just copied by adding the following after the file name (omit quotes): '.luminar'.
    • Start Luminar.
    • Click File > Catalog > Open > point Luminar to the file from Step 5.

Paul Barnard

This is the only feature I miss from Lightroom.  I take a laptop on the road but have a desktop in the office.  I already sync my RAW images using dropbox so the RAW images are on both computers.  The problem is with two separate catalogues the edits are not reflected on both computers.  Because of the totally brain dead disk ID it's not possible to share the catalogue across the computers.  

A simple solution could be to use the logical name of the drive rather than the disk ID.  That couple then work for shared drives if naming is consistent.  It could be problematic for external plug in drives if they are all name images for example but even providing the choice of logical vs physical naming would be great.

A stop gap might be to write a script to edit the dB

Please sign in to leave a comment.