Luminar Plugin

Comments

22 comments

Tony Collins

Hi Helena - this is the fourth time I've seen skylum thank the community for bringing attention to the out of date roadmap since the release of 3.0.2 over a month ago.

Seriously, how difficult can it be - at least to remove the "Next Update" column, so it isn't so blindingly obvious how meaningless it is? We are also now told the next update is late spring (meaning June IMO) so the Feb-Mar date range appears somewhat disingenuous right now.

Comment actions Permalink
    Richard Harrington

Hi Ross

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect here.  The goal of selling Luminar Plugin is to help those who wan that experience an easier workflow.  We've heard from many as well as Adobe on how we can improve the experience for Adobe users.  And that's what we've done.

• An easier install path for plugins
    • An updated install path for improved compatibility
    • Support for Photoshop Elements on Windows
    • Support for re-editing smart objects and picking up where you left off a (huge favorite of mine)
    • Support for Photoshop Actions
    • A faster plugin pipeline because of optimizations that work for plugin users.

This is also good news for Luminar 3 with Libraries and future versions.  It makes it far easier to improve the application when we can solely focus on how it runs as an application and not as a plugin.  You can already see the published Luminar roadmap and I can assure you that an update with new features is coming.

As you noted, current customers have access to both versions.

In the future, you can choose what to upgrade and when.  For example, just because there's an update that adds new asset management features, doesn't mean that the plugin needs to update.

• products will continue to have free updates for both stability and features
    • paid upgrades to come when a major new change is ready, and those are always offered at a deep discount to customers
    • When the dekstop or plugin version is ready to update or upgrade will very likely not be on the same schedule
    • You can choose what's right for you.

And Wiliam, the plugin version is NOT a lite version.  It has the same editing toolset as the desktop version.  It just works as a plugin or external editor.  You can use layers, textures, blend modes etc.  The workflows are the same as Luminar desktop.

The split here is to improve

• compatibility
    • the speed of both products
    • allow for plugin-specific features

I hope this helps

Ross Collins

Thanks for the feedback, Richard.  However I don't understand how any of the reasons you give make a compelling justification for separating the plug-in function into a second (likely later chargeable - my opinion) product.  L3 must be an absolute money pit at present with plunging revenues and escalating costs. I genuinely hope Skylum that can bring the promise of an L3 with full LR replacement capabilities to realisation before that promise sends them bust.

The upcoming 'new' Luminar plug-in still looks to me to be designed to meet a critical financial imperative than to overcome any technical obstacles or usability objectives, Otherwise Skylum would have taken this path well before L3 - and it has never been foreshadowed on the product 'roadmap'.

Gal Steinberg

@Richard Harrington - thanks for the clarification! It makes perfect sense that a plugin and a DAM was not the same software especially it is improved the specific features for the separate requirements and use cases. 

Would be good to have some explanation on what 3.1 will do to address some of the main issues many of us are having.

Ann Hassig

I have Affinity and when I saw that Luminar Plugin will work for "most" photo editing tools I was optimistic. Now I see that most only refers to Adobe products which is a long way from most. Misleading and disappointing, I'd hoped to be able to use the updated Luminar without having the Dam causing problems.

Ross Collins

This is the clearest signal yet that L3 with DAM features is a long, long way away.  Skylum obviously wants to be able to sell L3 without the troublesome DAM, which is a huge turnoff at present.  What's really worrying, though, is the indication that owners of L3 will not be able to use it as a plugin in the future, but will need to buy the L3 plugin separately.  I know present L3 users will get the plugin, but users of future versions?  I'm deeply troubled that Skylum appears to have completely lost its way.

William Jenks

There's time for course correction, but yes, I agree it does seem to portend that in the future the DAM version will be separated completely from the plugin version.  I'm invested enough in my current DAM that I'm not particularly interested in changing.  It's easy to imagine the plugin version being the "lite" version shortly after that.  I've avoided  the whole hard-core Photoshop thing, and I'd just as soon be able to continue doing that... but I want really powerful tools.

William Jenks

Richard-

Glad to hear this is the plan. My intent was much less to sound negative than to ask and urge that the plugin version remain fully functional on par with whatever the “full” version would be.

Thanks.

Brian Bochicchio

Richard, 

Thanks for the extra information.  I for one am curious to see how this goes.  I also appreciate that the plug-in is being offered at no charge.

I have owned Luminar for a while, and for various reasons haven't been able to commit to using it more than off and on. Presently, I find it cumbersome to use as a plug-in or to bounce back and forth between it and PS.  (Maybe I am doing it wrong ?)

Also this latest build is/was very crashy working with multiple adjustment layers. (Again, Maybe I am doing it wrong?) It recovers clean so I can pickup where I left off easy. It's just not a great experience.  The support folks were helpful and they gave me some recommendations. I was only able to do a  quick tire kick before work. But it seemed better and so I will give it another go tonight. 

If the plug-in is what I hope it is.  That will be awesome. 

Rob Rager

Will the Luminar Plugin finally allow Luminar to work with Affinity Photo, on Mac?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Rob - Affinity is not officially supported but it may work as Affinity works with most Photoshop-style plugins (.plugin files). 

Rob Rager

LOL I hope so.,,, Right now I have to export from Affinity, open in Luminar, save, then open again, in Affinity!

Jerry Hall

I have received the 3/20 email re Luminar Plugin from Alex.  The link to the blog Explore Luminar Plugin goes to a Japanese language entry.  I can find no information about this new product in the blog or in the Community News forum.  A search under "Luminar Plugin" only yields this thread.  What am I missing? Was the email from Alex a hack?

It would be good if there really will be a Luminar Plugin that is conceptually an updated L18 with L3 edits and .lmnr project files that would then be maintained for new cameras and lens and Mac/Win releases.  Can more specific info be presented?  

Jerry Hall

The blog says:

• Luminar 3 – An all-in-one photography platform for organizing and editing images.
    • Luminar Flex – A new addition for most photo editing tools that works as a plugin, extension, or external editor.

This is helpful. “Flex” is an updated Luminar18 with L3 interface, edits and looks.  Can run as a plug-in/extension or as an external editor.  Only as an external editor can it save project files, just like L18.  Project files will be readable by L3.  Right?  

If so this is a wise adaptation by Skylum to present circumstances.  As a Mac Photos user it reduces my anxiety a bunch and gives me time to wait and see on L3.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jerry,

Sorry for the bad link in the email! Here is a link to the blog post: https://skylum.com/blog/luminar-flex

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jerry,

Yes - Luminar Flex (Luminar Plugin) will be able to save .lmnr files which can then be opened in Luminar 3. 

Tony Collins

Hi Angela

Blog says flex will be released at the end of March. Will that be today, or are you planning to release over the weekend?

Also - Richard H says above "

• Support for re-editing smart objects and picking up where you left off a (huge favorite of mine)

Does that mean in lightroom it will be possible to go back and update edits to an image rather than having them "burnt in" to the file as is the case when using L18 or L3 as a plugin, or have I misunderstood?

Thanks.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Tony,

We will release Luminar Flex within a week.

As for the second question, the smart-object functionality can be used in Photoshop, not in Lightroom. Thus, the workflow in Lightroom will remain the same.
    Best regards,

Tony Collins

That's a shame.

Feature request: When using as a plugin, have an option to apply and burn edits into TIF, or save lmnr file. That file should be in the same location as the edited TIF file. If this is done the edits are not burned into the TIF File 

When aTIF File is opened again from lightroom, Flex looks for an lmnr file of the same name. If it exists it is opened.

Should be pretty straightforward to implement.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your suggestion! I will share it with our developers for their consideration.

Howard Lebowitz
    • Future workflow – With the next major version of Luminar, you’ll find plugins available only in Luminar Flex. The plugins workflow will be removed from Luminar with Libraries.

Thanks Skylum - this is the best new feature since L3 was released. I do not use your DAM and when I tried it was super buggy and I lost a ton of edits because it kept crashing and I had to start over from scratch (Mac version).

So offering a plug-in only version of the Developing (EDIT) engine is a great idea. I am sure it will work just as great as L2018.

Helena Carter

Hi Dave ,

As to the roadmap, our Team is aware of it and it will be updated soon. Thanks for bringing our attention to it.

Best regards

Please sign in to leave a comment.