The new Luminar Plugin to be released end of March vs the current workflow

Comments

14 comments

Ann Hassig

I got that email too and wonder exactly what they're talking about. It says it can be used with most photo editing tools, but no details. It also doesn't say whether its for Mac or includes Windows users too. And when I say includes Windows users I mean now, not just "soon" or planned.

Comment actions Permalink
    Pappu Murthy

I guess we shall wait and see

Angela Andrieux

Hi Pappu,

The new Luminar Plugin is for those who use another host editor such as Lightroom/Photoshop/etc.

Right now, Luminar 3 functions as both a standalone editor and host application, as well as a plugin. We are separating the two so that those who use just the plugin functionality will not have to mess with the Library.

Those who use Luminar 3 as a standalone editor and their host application will not see any change in their workflow.

Those who currently use Luminar 3 as a plugin will need to download/install the Luminar plugin which will give them a faster way to access all of Luminar's capabilities without the library. It also adds some awesome Smart Filter technology for Photoshop users.

Pappu Murthy

Thanks for the clarification. I think most of us are ending up using Luminar 3 as a plug in to LR becuase the standalone program has too many problems currently. 

Pappu Murthy

Guy Meacham

The new Luminar Plugin is for those who use another host editor such as Lightroom/Photoshop/etc.

Is there a list of other programs that it will work in, the e mail says "most" but no details.

Thanks.

Colin Grant

Have asked this elsewhere also, Angela, but presumably the plugin will behave in much the same was as Luminar 2018, including the ability to work stand-alone?

Richard Harrington

Guy.

The official list as of now

• Photoshop
    • Lightroom Classic
    • Photoshop Elements (Now with windows support)
    • Photos for macOS
    • Aperture

Other workflows may be possible for apps that recognize PSD plugin format but are not officially supported at this time.

==========

Colin

Luminar Plugin is a plugin.

It is not meant to be used as a standalone.  

Either use Luminar 2018 or Luminar 3 for those workflows.

Luminar Plugin is not supported for this workflow and you are strongly discouraged from trying to use it that way.

Colin Grant

Well it cannot be more dangerous than using L3 in general can it! And can you explain the following - a post from you guys elsewhere:

Hi Chip and Jeroen,

We don't have immediate plans for developing a specific plugin for Capture One 12, but you can use Luminar 3 now (and Luminar Plugin soon) as an external editor with C1: https://help.phaseone.com/en/CO12/Editing-photos/External-Editing

Kinda conflicts with your post does it not, Richard. An external editor is an external editor surely?

Gary Sibio

Has it been tested with ACDSee Ultimate?

I currently have Luminar 3 set up as an optional external editor in ACDSee Ultimate 2019 and it works fine. I would assume (I know) the Luminar Plugin would also work.

Richard Harrington

Colin...   an external editor is not a standalone app.

If you look at how we work with Photos for macOS its a managed handoff. 

No officially supported workflows exist yet for Capture One, On1, etc.  But many people have successfully handed things off.

There is a difference between what is officially supported (IE were committed to making work and we've thoroughly tested) and what you can hack.  Doesn't mean it won't work...   but until we announce official support for a workflow, or support team and engineering teams aren't putting effort into officially supporting.

I hope that makes sense.  We're trying to focus on the biggest, most popular, common workflows.  We, of course, are open to expanding this list in the future....  but one step at a time.

Richard Harrington

Gary, If Luminar 3 works for you, then keep going that way.  

Colin Grant

Richard, Edit In is not a managed hand-off. This is all because Luminar 3 is basically rubbish we all know that. However if it gives me a plugin that works with Lr and works well that is fine by me. I never wanted the Library - I did want a dam - but you failed to appreciate what a dam actually was. Or it was beyond Skylum!

All a bit odd really considering Luminar 3 was supposed to be that amazing piece of software that took us all away from Adobe. Now you are giving us a reason to stay there! You guys really are in a mess.

Gary Sibio

It's April 1st. Where's the plug-in version?

Colin Grant

This is all so boringly predictable, Gary.

Please sign in to leave a comment.