CR3 Raw files and Luminar 3

Comments

38 comments

• Official comment
    Anastasia Davis

We are happy to announce that Luminar 4 will support CR3 files upon the release. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi - We are working to add CR3 support but do not yet have an ETA on when it will be released.

Gabriel Tal

We have been waiting months for your CR3 support... Many of us can't wait any more... it seems that we have to move to a software developer who is much more responsive to the new development in the market place, especially when it is related to one of the major players - Canon.

Please advice when (specific date) are you planning to support the Canon EOS R and CR3 or credit us for all our investment in Luminar and Aurora.

Thanks 

Dmytro B.

Hi Gabriel, we don't have a specific date yet, I'm afraid. However, if you'd prefer to get a refund, it's possible - please contact our support team at support@skylum.com

Allon Bar-Nur

Dear Luminar,

As much as my expectation was when I moved to Luminar the disappointment is greater….

First let me point out that since I upgraded from Luminar 2018 to Luminar 3 (on Win 10) I have issues that bothers me: (A) Its slow. (B) Hangs on for ages and (C) When trying to export my work its freezes and would not export the work. Once I gave it 30 minutes just to make sure it’s working and not frozen.

And then there is the issue of CR3…. Luminar, please wake up… CR3 is here months….

You made a lot of buzz to convince us to leave Adobe and move to Luminar. Did we make a mistake believing in you???? I think we deserve a straight answer when it going to be….

Make no mistake, I’m not sorry… I do believe that there must be a good alternative to the Lightroom’s monthly rip off. That’s why I made the move and switched…

Luminar, was it a mistake ????

holger sitte

I'm also waiting.

many time is running since eos 50M started, what happens with Luminar?

Gabriel Tal

Skylum, can we get some kind of feedback from you??? is the release of CR3 support coming? is it a matter of days, weeks, months or years??? 

Terry Rogers

Hi everyone! CR3 support in Luminar 3 is in development state now, but unfortunately, we cannot tell you exactly when it will be implemented. Please keep an eye on our roadmap here: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap if you need more information.

Gabriel Tal

Terry, thanks for the reply, but we are getting the same reply for months. Any software development project manager got a project plan, with specific dates... looks very strange... we are not asking for a commitment, we need a realistic assessment in order to plan our activities. thanks.

Stefan Gursch

Hello, I am also very disappointed with the technical support, we still do not support CR3, there are other software that can do this for a long time, for example DXO PhotoLab. The software is very slow and unstable. I'm wondering if buying Luminar was the right decision.

Greeting Stefan

putu de

I'm waiting for the good news about this project. CR3 is must

Alexander Puzikov

Skylum Guys.

Don't you think that if people asking questions about CR3 support for over a year - it grants an expedite development and official answer not something like we are working on it?

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Everyone, 

Our developers are working around the clock to implement the support of .CR3 file format. There are some technical difficulties, but we are investigating the best way to overcome them.

Once .CR3 file format is supported, we'll let you know.

For now, we recommend you to install Adobe DNG Converter and convert your .CR3 RAW files to DNG file format (which is supported by Luminar). 

Please use one of the links below to download Adobe DNG Converter:

For Mac OS:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_mac/ 

For Windows:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win/ 

Gabriel Tal

Dear Anna,

A very dissapointing reply.

As one that spent his entire life in the high-tech industry, your reply proofs that there is something very wrong with Luminar and Aurora software architecture. All other major vendors announced their support for CR3 within days or few weeks.

It's also surprising that you don't have a project plan and that you are not in a position to estimate time table...

What will the case with the next Cannon, Nikon, Sony,... announcements, are we going to face the same problem again?

Thanks for referring us to Adobe, we understood the hint.

Please stop sending us advertisements related to your products.. from my point of view you are not industry leaders.

Thanks.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Gabriel,

Please accept our apologies for the delays. 

We will do our best to implement new cameras support as soon as possible. 

Please note that there is the button to unsubscribe at the end of every letter from us. 

If you want us to unsubscribe you, please contact us via

http://www.skylum.com/support

putu de

@Anna Veres

Thank you for your effort.
    However, personally, I prefer to use other apps and wait for CR3 compatibility. I know it's not easy. Hopefully, you and team can make it happen shortly.

Stefan Gursch

Hello,
    I think it's a cheek as here with us customers handled it we advertised very strong but there is nothing behind it. and that we should work with Adobe soft ware customers now is so ridiculous I have bought Luminar just to get away from it I am extremely disappointed. pity that I can not give back my license.

Stefan

Anastasia Davis

Hi Stefan! We are constantly working on the software. We are doing our best to implement all the features and functionality our customers need. 

Russell Eldridge

Disappointed with the lack of CR3 support for my Canon M50 for such a long time. It's time to move on to something else and just eat the cost of switching to Luminar.3. Super nice catalog features but edits are too slow for me and not getting the results I expected. Seems like a huge ram memory hog too. See ya Luminar.

Russell

Gabriel Tal

Russell, I fully understand your frustration, we'll have to look for alternative... I was really hoping to have (with Luminar) an alternative to Adobe. It seems that now I'll go back to LightRoom. I really feel very bad about it.  

Junio Coelho

The Luminar is really really slow. I don't know why you don't implement any way to cache or optimize each raw file being edited. Every time that we change the selected file, the software have to process everything and takes lots of seconds. Sorry by the complaints, but it is just the truth. So frustrating.

Dmytro B.

Hi Junio, we're already working on our major update to fix all the issues. Please stay tuned and update the software, whenever we release a new version.

Kevin L.

It's been almost half a year and still no CR3 support? So you guys have been working around the clock on Luminar 4 with the gimmicky Sky replacement? That way you guys can force us to pay for Luminar 4 if we want CR3 support. Skylum needs to get their priorities straight.   This is beyond frustrating now. It will be Skylum Replacement instead of Sky Replacement for my next photo editor.

Geoff Webber

Hi Skylum. Could you please respond with a summary of the technical issues that are preventing CR3 support. There are plenty of smart people with Canon cameras who might just be able to solve your ongoing issues. As a new Canon R user I would really like to be able to edit my raw files in Luminar sometime soon.

Anastasia Davis

Hi guys! Unfortunately, the documentation on this file format is not publicly available, so the process of implementation might take a while. Our tech team has already started working on this project, but currently, we can't provide an approximate timeline for its completion. We still need to process lots of samples from different cameras to provide our customers with a good quality product.

holger sitte

Many new Canon Cameras startet and they all have CR3.

Why should the owners use Luminar 3 or 4?

Make your homework, finish Luminar 3 with CR3, better performance and after that start a new project. You will do the second step before the first!

Kate Williams

Hi Holger,

Please note that the availability of the documentation does not fully depend on us, but, on our end, we are already doing everything possible to make this day closer. We do hope to implement .cr3 files support both in Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 as soon as possible - that will depend solely on the day when we get our hands on all the necessary files.

Burt Cunningham

I recently bought a Canon EOS RP which I love.  Unfortunately Luminar does not open my .cr3 raw files.  Is it really that hard?  Your competitors ON1 and Adobe have figured it out. ON1 is also releasing a new version soon which also has AI features similar to yours. I like Luminar, but you’re making it difficult to stay with you.  It’s hard to believe that Canon would not share the necessary files with you.  These cameras have been out for some time now.  Please get this done soon.

Thanks

Anna V

Hi Burt, 

We do our best to add cr3 support this autumn. 

Hope for your patience. 

Stacy Ford

So let me see if I have a good understanding of this outcome. When we upgraded from Luminar 2018 to Luminar 3, we were told that support for the Canon .cr3 raw image file was in the works and we should see it soon. A year later we still do not have the raw support yet and now there is talk about a new version of software? And you want us to pay for it again knowing that it also is an incomplete program that still doesn't have the raw support. What a scam. Your answer of converting the files to DNG format is a lousy response as well. The Idea of using Luminar was because it was supposed to be quicker and easier. Not when you have to jump through hoops just to access a file that is readable by all the other competitors. I think it is time to start to recommend people to look elsewhere. Maybe at that point it will make more financial sense for you guys to get the support done correctly.

Please sign in to leave a comment.