Observations on catalogue/backup issues

Comments

3 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi David,

Thank you for your thorough report and for also sending the above message to our support team. One of our techs will be in touch with you as soon as possible.

Comment actions Permalink
    Tony Collins

Doesn't "edit in" from LR put L3 into standalone mode. IE Not accessing the catalog?

Certainly for me - even when L3 can't start due to catalog corruption, I can still "Edit in" from LR which suggests the instance opened from LR doesn't attempt to use the corrupted catalog.

David Tillett

Hi Tony,

Yes, accessing Luminar from Lightroom does restrict its functionality, no catalogue access, not able to call plugins etc. However, it is still the same program that is being called, presumably with a flag saying run in restricted mode - normal Looks and Workspaces are available.

I have never had any catalogue problems before and when I started losing files I looked at what I might have done differently that triggered the corruption. Having both normal and standalone instances of same Luminar application running together was the main thing I could think of.

While using Luminar from Lightroom should be self contained the fact that I hit the corruption after running the two processes at the same time made me wonder if there is a bug in the self contained version that allowed it to interact with the active catalogue from the other activation. Since there has been no news from Skylum as to whether or not they have identified the reason why files start to go missing from the catalogue I felt that it was worth reporting this observation in case it gave them something to look into, and alerting others to avoid running a full activation of Luminar alongside accessing it from Luminar in case this is a trigger for the corruption.

I have just clarified with support that I meant two copies of the same installation of Luminar running at the same time, not having two copies of Luminar installed at the same time, and now await a response to my report.

Please sign in to leave a comment.