For future updates please

Comments

4 comments

Steve Ratts

@Malcolm,

I agree - it's close, but not quite there - and these are some of the things that will get it closer. For social media integration I'd add ability to upload to Instagram and 500px as well.

Judging from the posts I've seen recently, they still have a ways to go with general stability and performance - but from what I've seen personally it seems to be getting a lot better there.

I think there are a lot of Luminar users who are coming from LR, and so they have potentially years worth of work invested in a LR library. We absolutely need a way to import edits, metadata, keywords, etc. from our LR catalogs. For me this alone prevents me from ditching Adobe - which I'd really like to do! Probably need this same capability for users coming from other ecosystems, but I suspect LR is the largest chunk of users based on comments I've seen here.

A few other things I think should be high on the priority list if not essential for a transition include the following.

Ability to handle transparency - this is needed in lots of cases and it's really kind of silly that a product like Luminar can't cope at all with transparency (rendering it white instead).

Ability to easily select a watermark which can consistently be applied to all images being exported - this definitely applies to the use case of sharing on social media like Flickr, Instagram, 500px, etc., but also in any other case where the user wishes to be able to use an artistic watermark (e.g. Photologo) to help build their brand. Granted, there's a really kludgy/clunky workaround for this - but it's ridiculous to expect users to go through that arduous process for every image they want to brand - it should be a simple one-click selection during export!

Ability to visually see where masks are being applied in cases like sharpening. Something like the LR process where you hold down a key or key combo while adjusting the slider so that you can easily see what parts of the image you're sharpening. The same goes for a few other sliders, but this one is top on my list.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Malcolm! Thanks for your thoughts.

As for Flickr, I am afraid that they have changed their privacy regulations, thus there is no such functionality in Luminar anymore.

We will take your other comments into consideration. 
    Best regards,

Steve Ratts

@Anastasia,

Can you elaborate on what Flickr has changed that makes this impossible?

If it's not possible, then as a next best thing we need some sort of API or scripting language so that users can add this on their own. That's one of the nice things about LR that would be really nice to see in Luminar as well - it would foster a community investment in improving the product capabilities.

Cheers,

Steve

Mark Barnes

Malcom, I am by no means tech savvy when it comes to these issues. However Skylum Tech support sent me the following instructions re: Topaz Studio I've pasted them in below: hope it helps.  Both worked for me on my iMac. Don't know if this is helpful, but just in case, I'm sharing because I just went through a frustration exercise with Topaz Studio:

1. If you want to set up Topaz Studio as a plug in:

Luminar can open files that have .plugin extension.

Please right-click on the 'Topaz Studio' line and choose 'Show Package Contents' (see the screenshot attached): https://prnt.sc/mk5oq9 

After that, find the file that is shown in the screenshot and copy it to your desktop (or any other place where you can easily find it): https://prnt.sc/mk5lgk 

Now open Luminar 3 > Edit > Plugins > Other > Click 'Open Plugin...' and choose the .plugin file you just copied.

Now you should be able to use Topaz Studio as a plugin in Luminar.

2. After moving a file to Topaz and making edits it can be sent back to L3 as a layer:

Angela sent me the following instructions:

You first need to set up Topaz as a plug in. Tech support can help you there..pretty easy. Just go to "other plug in as point to the Topaz .plug in files.just tested using Topaz Studio as a Luminar plugin by going to Edit > Plugins > Other > Topaz Studio.

I made my edits in Topaz and then clicked the OK button (looks like a little disk/save button) and was automatically returned to Luminar with my Topaz edits added in a new image layer.

If I click onto the DNG image layer below my original edits are visible.

Please sign in to leave a comment.