Moving images together with adjustments between catalogs

Answered

Comments

36 comments

Helena Carter

Hi Matthias,

Thank you so much for your feedback.

I completely understand your workflow. However, we don't suggest to move images from one drive to another since your edits are linked to the drive itself. Still, you can try to use the option Locate the Folder once the images and Catalog are moved to another drive (Right-click>Locate the folder) and your edits should be back.

Best regards

Comment actions Permalink
    Matthias Allgayer

Hi Helena,

thank you for your response.

It is a pity that within Luminar it is not possible to move an image from one drive to another, taking the edits and adjustments with it. I can not understand why you do not offer this in Luminar 3. With Luminar 2018 I was able to save a *.lmnr file and copy it to any drive. That such a function does no longer exist decreases the usefulness of Luminar 3 quite considerably.

For me, this is an important feature for:

• first selecting images that I want to keep or dismiss
    • doing a first edit of some images before archiving to another drive; then it should be possible to get them from the archive and change the adjustments or continue editing
    • doing a first edit of some images on my MacBook Pro and then continue to work on these images on my Mac Pro with the already done adjustments (therefore I bought 2 licenses of Luminar)
    • long-term archiving of images along with all edits and settings on a different drive, since there is not enough space on the internal SSD
    • selective backup of my pictures together with all the edits and adjustments. Here I want to decide as necessary, which drive which image is backed up.

Especially backup and archiving are very important aspects for me. I have several backup drives and I do not want to back up the entire catalog of the internal SSD, but only certain images along with the edits. Backing up to multiple drives in different locations is a standard practice for anyone who cares about their data.

The same applies to the archiving. I have several different archives. After I have edited images on the internal SSD and exported the result, I want to move these images to my different archives on the different drives and thereby want to save all edits and adjustments along with the image. There is no reason to keep these pictures for always on the internal SSD, so there must be a way to save the images to another drive along with all edits and Adjustments.

So I kindly ask you to share my wish with the developers to develop a meaningful feature that allows me to save individual images from the current catalog, along with all edits and adjustments, to another drive. A first step could be to offer a "Luminar format" in the export dialog beside the other formats, in which the selected image is exported to a file together with all edits and adjustments, just as it was possible in Luminar 2018 with the * .lmnr files.
    Currently I'm working in parallel with Luminar 2018 to save * lmnr files for the above purposes.

Steve Ratts

I'll second this request! I agree that this is a much needed capability that is essential to several important use cases.

Helena Carter

Thanks so much for your feedback, I will share your suggestions with our developers.

As to .lmnr files, we plan to add them back in future.

Have a great day.

Ric Aarssen

I hope everyone jumps on this request.  If they don't bring saving *.lmnr files back soon I'm going to stop using luminar.

I have also had a lot of trouble using a WDMyCloud drive. Luminar locks up. 

Are you accessing your NAS wireless?

Matthias Allgayer

"Are you accessing your NAS wireless?"

Yes, I'm accessing my NAS wireless from my MacBook Pro. It is a Synology DiskStation 918+. There I have a folder "pictures" and there I have stored my Luminar catalog "Archive".

Normally I start Luminar 3 with the standard catalog on the internal SSD. When I want to access my archive, I mount the NAS and open the catalog in Luminar via File > Catalog > Open Catalog... Opening the catalog takes some time. If I have new images saved into the archive folder, Luminar 3 will automatically add them to the archive catalog and this takes much longer to open. During this time Luminar is not responding at all and looks locked up. Then I have to be patient, because suddenly Luminar responds again and shows me the archive catalog on the NAS.

Then I can scroll through my pictures in the catalog. Because many images are stored in RAW format on the NAS, this is relatively slow, but I know that.

Matthias Allgayer

When I read through this forum, I find some topics that go in the same direction.

People want to keep their edits of the images editable for future edits and adjustments. Luminar provides this non destructive edits which I find is a huge benefit. But the current method of saving edits in the catalog and not being able to save them independently of a particular catalog reduces the usefulness considerably.

Users report many cases where the catalog file became unusable for no apparent reason, causing Luminar 3 to freeze or crash or lose edits. Of course, you can create a new catalog file, but then all the edits and work of many hours are lost in any way. Also, restoring the catalog backups in Luminar does not seem to work without problems. I can understand, that the users are disappointed or angry.

Therefore again, I urgent ask to offer very soon a meaningful solution in Luminar 3 to selectively export images together with the corresponding edits or to move them from one catalog to another for archival and backup purposes.

Ric Aarssen

When Luminar 3 first was released I created a catalog on my MacBook Pro and added file folders on my Laptop with no problems.

So I decided to add a folder from my WDMyCloud wireless cloud drive.  It took awhile to load but seem to work. 

Then I tried going all in and added the root directory from my wirelsss cloud drive.  Well after 3 days I tried closing the program and could not.  I had to Force Quit Luminar 3.  Since this time it has caused me all kinds of grief.  

So I went and purchased a Samsung portable SSD drive and now have a Catalog on my laptop and one on the SSD drive.  This is all working fine except not being able to transfer edited images from one catalog to the other if I want to move the photo files.

All this to say. YES we need to be able to move from one catalog to another.  I too would like to see .lmnr saves to come back. 

Lastly, I don't understand what is different on how the catalog loads files.  I have never had a problem moving and reading ALL my photos, no matter were they are located in Lightroom.  Hope this is a priority.  I really like the simplicity of the workflow when editing photos.  Part of the growing pains I guess.

Tony Collins

Another use case that needs this. I keep the most recent 2 or 3 months photos on my SSD. This allows me to do all editing on these on the high performance storage. However, I have more than 700GB of photos - which obviously can't be kept on my SSD. So photos older than 3 months get moved to an external USB drive. I need to be able to do this AND retain edits. If I can't, then again L3 is useless to me.

It is no problem at all in lightroom.

Matthias Allgayer

Tony Collins, you described a similar use case I have, quite precisely.

I think, a lot of users do maintain more than one catalog and one storage drive and have the need to move photos between them AND retain edits. So I assume that for many of these users Luminar 3 is of little use despite its excellent editing capabilities.

Steve Ratts

This is one of the reasons I've not yet dropped my subscription to LR. For me, at this time, Luminar is a great way to finish up processing, but sadly my workflow still requires that my first step is to import into LR, and I consequently keep my catalog there. Some files I will export from LR to either Aurora or Luminar for further processing, but at this time it's impossible for me to drop LR, though I'd dearly love to do so!

The points made on this thread: that we need to be able to move files from one catalog to another, and that perhaps with this ability we'll get the side benefit of either increased catalog stability, or at the very least easier recovery when a catalog does get corrupted, are all well made. But there is at least one other very critical thing we need, which is the ability to migrate a LR catalog into Luminar. What are we supposed to do otherwise? Just toss all the years of work we've put into editing images in our LR catalogs?

I'm a big fan of Luminar, and truly want to see Skylum succeed. I think there are a lot of things to like about Luminar even now, but the limitations and constraints for moving photos (with edits!) from one drive to another and from one catalog to another are DEFINITELY not among them. That's got to be a high priority. It's not enough that Skylum says "Thanks, we'll share this with the developers". We need this clearly on the Roadmap so we can have confidence Skylum has heard us and actually understands this problem.

juergen mohr

Die Funktion der Katalogzusammenführung ist ein unabdingbares Feature für die DAM Funktionalität. Habe bereits 2 Kataloge verloren und trotz der Backup Funktion nicht retten können. Hier muß was kommen liebe Luminar Entwickler zumal die Konkurrenz das Thema beherrscht.

Anders Svensson

Skylum has been saying they'll reintroduce lmnr projects for almost 5 months now. They then released Flex with the ability to save lmnr projects and then almost immediately said they would remove it, that Flex is not intended as a standalone application. Reliability/dependability/predictability are in pretty short supply around here.

I like Luminar as an editor, but export and move on is about as far as I'll go with it at this point.

Sam C

Not sure how the catalog won over sidecar the files, which are superior in every way. Stability, portability and a common standard people understand. I can't believe something so complicated and limiting was implemented for something so simple.

The catalog should merely be a yaml file that contains pointers to these locations and files. This way it's configurable via a config file for advanced users, so if one was to move drives they could easily reconfigure, or it works on a relative location basis once a catalog is loaded, all this driven by sidecars would be easy.

What's the latest on this? Will it be possible to go back to sidecars or move images between catalogs?

Helena Carter

Hi Sam,

We're working in improving Luminar 3 and the next update will present Lost Edits functionality which will help locate your edits in case of moving photos easier.

Ric Aarssen

This is not what he is asking.  We ALL want the .lmnr files back!

It is making managing our home databases a nightmare.  Since a number of us move files to a NAS after editing.

Is there any chance this will be available?  Thank you, Ric

Chase B.

I need the ability to move files as well. I tried editing files on my external sata and it's just too slow. I want to do all my edits on my internal ssd, and when I'm done, move the project to my cheaper and large capacity external drive. This is a must have option. What happens when I decide to upgrade drives? Will I lose all my edits and work? I'm new to luminar and really like a lot about it. It's weird that the option used to exist and then it disappeared. Is that really true? When will this function be added back?

Helena Carter

Hi,

You can move the files after they are edited in Luminar 3 and then located them using Lost Edits functionality.

Check more about it here: https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-12-lost-edits

Ric Aarssen

We want the edits to go with the raw file when we move it to a different harddrive.  Using the Lost Edits function just points the library back to the other drive.  I believe what everyone is asking for is a separate library for different drives.

Anders Svensson

For me, I want sidecar files (or the slightly worse lmnr projects) so I can move and backup edits per image, not per library or catalog. I don't want all my edits in one basket, especially one that hasn't proven itself to be very robust.

At this point though, even if this was restored it would take months of reading nothing but positives about Luminar for me to give Skylum any money again. The development is just too random - breakage, variable rendering across updates, feature removal, L2018 split into Flex/L3 then recombine into L4, etc - and too many promises not followed up with delivery.

Luminar is a neat editor, but I don't get this kind of grief from the other tools I use.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Anders! We appreciate your honest feedback and will do our best to make the software better for you.

@Ric Once again, I will forward your words to our developers.

MF Mika

"We want the edits to go with the raw file when we move it to a different harddrive."

Exactly!

I'm a new user of Luminar 3, and have just discovered this painfully frustrating omission in an otherwise fantastic piece of photo-editing software. I would like to add one more voice to the choir.

EDITED: It seems like the edits are indeed preserved if one moves files between hard drives using the Library functionality. I tested it again, and it seems to be working. (My first test was right after connecting an external hard drive and adding it to the catalog, so it might have been that it hadn't fully synced yet.)

This makes things less frustrating, but it would still be great if one could move files across catalogs without losing the edits either.

Vivian Raiborde

Frankly, reading all of this has been disappointing. The new version of Luminar is coming out soon. I don't want to have to pay for something that used to work just fine before and disappeared with the current version. We've all been requesting the same thing over and over again. We want to be able to transfer raw files and the associated edits from one drive to another without a problem. We want the old .lmnr or something similar. And we have been asking for this now for over 8 months. I really don't think that I've seen support that get fixed. 

For me, once I've started making multiple edits to a whole bunch of files, I find the catalog gets huge. I want to be able to move out my files along with the edits so I have a lean catalog and not one that is just bloated with images from ages ago that are over and done with. 

Another thing. Lost edits is not a solution for me.

I would love to see this software succeed. It is great at editing my images. But this catalog affair far from cuts it.

Sam C

All comments here have been completely ignored.

Luminar 4 doesn't contain sidecars and has stuck with the catalog, which it "upgrades". Mine ended up going from 5 gb to 33gb with 700 photos in it. (I've logged a ticket)

The new shiny software is also buggy, unstable and just as slow. Don't bother upgrading.

Ric Aarssen

I wish there was a way to message members of this form directly! This is for Sam C.

I have also been frustrated with the library portion of Luminar.  Been with them through 4 upgrades and I agree this issue seems to be ignored.  Sounds like it is getting worse. I'm really concerned that you indicate your catalog massively increased in size. 

I use to keep all my photos on a WD Cloud Drive.  Was a nice central place and it was backed up nightly.  Since Luminar 3 I had to go with an external SSD Drive.  I dropped Lightroom but seriously thinking about re-subscribing. It worked great with my cloud drive. And I really like the Side Car feature.  Have played some with Capture One might have to spend some more time with that.

Was really hoping Luminar was going to be where I could catalog ALL my photos.  But the current catalog is slow to refresh and your now saying the new version is going to require that much more space. I do like how I can make quick edits in Luminar but I'm finding I'm starting to do it less because of the frustrations I have with moving files around. 

Skylum, if you are following these posts please provide us with some suggested workflows to best use your library.  Thank you Ric. 

Helena Carter

Hi Ric,

The initial Luminar 4 release is devoted to new tools and features. Nevertheless, please note that the next quarter we will be working on the Luminar 4 performance and we will do our best to deliver the best editing experience to our customers and release a performance update by the end of the year.

Still, for now, we can recommend the following:

- Make sure you have al least 10GB free disk space;

- Divide your Library into several smaller Catalogs;

- Store your photos and Catalogs on the internal drive.

I know it's not the best solution, but this might work as a temporary workaround.

Anders Svensson

Honestly, how can you ask people to pay for a new version of a product that has needed catalog workarounds for over a year now?

Why not just restore some sort of sidecar (that Luminar 3 removed), as was promised as far back as last year, so that people aren't so dependent on Luminar's flakey catalog?

That said, I solved the problem by dumping Luminar.

Ric Aarssen

Thanks Helena.

I appreciate the response but this defeats the idea of having a library and catalog for ALL my Photos.  Sometimes I'm looking for a type or style of image for a project I'm working on.  I really don't want to have to go in and out of catalogs to find it.

I realize you can't give me the answer I'm looking for but your users are going to start bashing your product if this doesn't get rectified SOON.

Your TEAM needs to commit to a date this will be fixed.  I know a lot of photographers that are leaving your product.  The fancy bells and whistles aren't any good if we can't easily manage our photos.

I guess the alternative is to find another library system and just use your product as a add on.  But I don't tend to use a lot of add ons.    I've been patient but disappointed that Luminar 4 is going to make this worse.

juergen mohr

Auch Luminar 4 ist sehr lahm, der Catalog riesig, der wird jetzt auch noch in eine weitere Version für L4 konvertiert!, ständig Abstürze, der Workflow ist komplett anzupassen, eigene Filterzusammenstellungen für Themen gibt es nicht mehr, Filter ein 2. mal aufrufen bedeutet eine neue Ebene anzulegen, kurz im Bereich DAM hat sich nichts geändert, die neue Bedienoberfläche erfordert eine neue Lernphase......was soll das?? Anstatt die werbewirksamen AI-Feature zu entwickeln sollte man die Grundlagen auf den Stand der Technik bringen. Schade das es so läuft- so schafft man sich selbst ab.

Adieu Skylum

Helga Rowles

Hi Juergen, we'll be sure to introduce some library improvements with future updates, here's our roadmap: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Please sign in to leave a comment.