Lost Edit once again

Comments

8 comments

Yves Canty

Hi Ken,

I had lots of issues too similar to what you describe.  I would quit Luminar, restart it, and then either edits would be missing, or Luminar would wrongly show some picture folders containing 0 images.

Both my Luminar Catalog and my images are on an external HD connected to my Mac mini.

I noticed that if I stopped browsing my images, the activity light on my external HD would continue to blink for a while, sometimes up to one minute after I stopped interacting with Luminar.  So I started taking the habit of waiting until the HD activity light stops blinking before quitting Luminar.  Since then, so far, Luminar has been rock solid.  I've restarted it at least 10 times already and my catalog is intact every single time.  The startup time is much quicker, and browsing pictures is impressively fast, now that thumbnails are generated and already in the Luminar cache.

I'm guessing there's a bug in File/Quit that abruptly terminates background jobs, causing corruption in the catalog for the next run.  I've already sent the information to Luminar support and I'm eagerly waiting for their feedback.

So, try this trick if you can and please post your results!  If you don't have an activity light on the hard drive containing your catalog and pictures, you could use Apple's Activity Monitor, on the Disk tab, select Luminar 3 and watch the number of bytes read/written to disk.  When it stops changing, it should be safe to quit Luminar.

Comment actions Permalink
    Tony Collins

Fine - but I don't think most of us are prepared to risk hours of work to a program that can't cope with shutting down cleanly. You could work for a month like this, then forget once to wait, and then lose everything.

Yves Canty

@Tony I totally agree with you that this is not an acceptable solution but just a potential workaround. Regarding losing work, support told me to restore from the automatic backup and that worked for me to recover lost work. The backup frequency is configurable in the preferences and by default it’s every 20 minutes. Again not a perfect solution but at least for me it eases my worries about losing all my edits.

All that being said, it seems I spoke too soon as not long after I posted I reopened Luminar and lost all my edits again. Fortunately I had made a manual backup of my catalog when it was working perfectly and the restore from backup got everything back again.

So I suppose the best workaround until this gets fixed is to backup the catalog often.

Ken Korman

Thanks for your suggestion. My drive does not show any activity before shutting down. As I do not trust the auto back up, like you, I do a manual back up of the catalog after completing edits. It's easy just to replace the catalog and it works every time, but it is not an elegant solution considering the premise behind Luminar is simplicity and ease of use. I did not have this problem before 3.02. It seems not enough testing, specifically stress testing is being done before release. 

Gal Steinberg

I'm having similar issues, I constantly lose edits, lots of them... multiple edits - suddenly a photo changes to the original, although it is in the "Recently edited" list, it has clearly lost all the edits I have put in.

Skylum suggest to get it from backup - but that means that if I roll back, I lose new edits - I found the following workaround that works for a single image and is very time consuming and not scalable - 

1) Opening a backup - since there is no indication on the backup on what edits it includes - I need to open many versions to find it... each open takes about 5 minutes to complete (did someone say 3.0.2 is faster to open???)

2) Find the photo with the adjustments 

3) Copy the adjustments

4) Open the last version (another 5 minutes again)

5) Find the photo and Paste the adjustment

This is PAINFUL and not something I can do... I'm waisting so much time... and so much frustration, I used to recommend Luminar but not I say "I can't recommend it to you until it is fixed".

FYI - All my photos are on an internal drive - on a Dropbox folder... 

D B

I'm having the same issues... Just trying to send my catalog to the support team. Hope they will fix this soon. Really annoying...

Tony Collins

@Yves - I have tried restoring from the luminar backups, and from my own copies of the catalogue folder.

I've not found any of the luminar created backups work without further crashing for more than a few minutes. My own backup from time machine worked for a while, and then another crash broke it. Subsequent restores of the *same folder* also would no longer work.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

We are truly sorry for any issues you may be experiencing with Luminar 3.0.2. We need to be able to reproduce the issue(s) in order to troubleshoot them. To that end, please send the following to support@skylum.com:

Please send us your catalog:

1. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    2. Right-click the Luminar Catalog folder > click Compress and wait for the process to finish.
    3. Send us the .zip file you created in Step 2. We recommend a free service WeTransfer for that.

If you can recall, it would help us a lot if you could tell us which folders were added to your Luminar Catalog and where they were located: on an internal or external drive. You can make a screenshot of the filesystem, for example.

If your copy of Luminar is crashing, send us crash reports:

1. Open Finder.
    2. Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    3. Paste the following path: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and click Go.
    4. In the folder that opens find the most recent files with Luminar 3 in their names and attach them to your email.

In order for us to directly track this issue, please also send us your Hardware UUID:

1. Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
    2. Click About This Mac.
    3. In the window that opens, click System Report.
    4. In the window that opens, make sure Hardware is selected in the column on the left.
    5. Locate the Hardware UUID string, copy it, and paste it into your email.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Please sign in to leave a comment.