Catalogue does not work reliably any more

Comments

9 comments

Ken Korman

I just experienced the same after Luminar 3 had been working with little issues. I keep my catalog in the default pictures folder and my photos on an external ssd. The drive was not connected when I started Luminar. Luminar loaded and I noticed that one album was greyed out. When I connected my drive that album never became active because there were no longer any photos within it. I then discover other albums had missing photos as well. It turned out that the missing photos had lost all their edits and ratings as well as all my other photos except the few that remained in the virtual albums I had created for them. Trying to install from the backup catalog did not solve the problem. Currently 90% of my edits are gone. Edit: Simple solution. Replaced my catalog with a copy I manually copied to an external backup drive a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I lost edits since then, but it is now working as before. Using the option key back up copy did not work correctly. So for now, I will just back up regularly the drive where my catalog resides using SuperDuper backup app and not have to rely on Skylum's catalog backup.

Comment actions Permalink
    Kirk Osborn

Please try loading a backup:

1. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and start Luminar. Keep holding Option until you see a window with a list of available backups appear.
    2. Select a backup that that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and click Restore from Backup.
    Jan Frenzel

Dear Kirk,

thank you very much. Well, the original catalog (which is apparently empty now) is from then older Luminar 3 version where backups did not exist. So, I cannot try this suggestion. I tried to restore using Apple Time Machine but without success

For my new catalog, where I have tried to use a backups. Without success.

I also figured out that I can create a totally new catalogue, and there is a 50/50 chance that I even cannot add any photo to that catalogue. The progress bar pops up for a short time, and then... nothing happens....

Sonehow, Luminar is not running good on my machine. I also get quite often crashs.

Best regards

Jan

Jan Frenzel

Hi!

For some reason I now had been able to open a backup. I tried this several times previously without success. But now it seem to work. I hope that I will work stable....

It would be nice if the Luminar developers could try to figure out what is going on here...

Best regards

Jan

Anastasia Davis

Hi Jan! Thanks for the feedback. I am glad that it is working now. 
    Sure, our technical department is working on it.
    Best regards,

Urs Breton

I have/had problems too and thought I'll wait until 3.0.2 comes out. But unfortunately, I just cant import any more images from photos. I choose Import and then Photos, after that I can do whatever I want. When i click on the import button, the import dialogue just closes, but nothing happens. Getting very tired of having a software I waited for month to get DAM, then was somehow disappointed to just get the very very basics even without keyword capability or anything and finally even that does not work. :(

I gave Luminar very much of my time, but it keeps wasting it and I am very sorry to say that, as for some reason I still keep thinking they'll get the things done. hmm.

Helena Carter

Hi Urs,

Check out this video for instructions on how to import your Apple Photos library into Luminar 3:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovunqplv3u3kjpl/PhotosRawWorkaround.mov?dl=0

If you still facing issues with it, please, contact our Support Team: https://skylum.com/support

Best regards

Urs Breton

Well thanks Helena, but to be honest I have a problem giving over my 20k+ photos masters folder to a users dropbox video workaround. I imported (copyied!) until 3.0.2 like this: https://skylum.com/video-galleries/luminar-video-tutorials/2018/importing-images-from-photos-for-mac-into-luminar-3. That seemded ok, but since 3.0.2 only works part of the time.

The library module is kinda in the state of a public beta, pretending to be mature. I stop now hoping things would be alright and just leave L3 for now. Worst part of it is that i liked all other features of L3, but with a "DAM" like this, no chance, sorry.
    Very disappointed and tired of wasting my time. :(

Helena Carter

Hi Urs ,

That's the correct way to work with Apple Photos Library, so everything should be in order now.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with Luminar 3. We're improving it's performance with each release. Hope you'll give it another try one day.

Meanwhile, please, let me know if there's anything else I can help you with and have a great day.

Please sign in to leave a comment.