Explain Catalogs

Comments

7 comments

Anna V

Hi David, 

Let me answer all your questions. 

1. Do I create a catalog of each major topic (landscapes, or animals, or models, etc) or do I create a catalog of each job shoot, or do I just use the top-most level and catalog my entire drive? I'm clueless about what a "catalog" will do for organizing my pics. 

It is up to you to decide whether you want to create the catalog of each topic or to have all the images in one catalog. 

You can add the folder of your images to your Catalog. Luminar 3 also provides you with the possibility to organize the photos chronologically. 

2. Also, what exactly is a catalog doing? Is it making a complete copy of every file? Is it just creating thumbnails and leaving the originals in place?

It created the thumbnails and leaves the originals in place. 

3. What happens when I move, add, delete an original? 

In case if move/delete the photos on your HD while Luminar 3 is launched, it will synchronize with all your actions. 

3. What happens when I move, add, delete a file in the catalog; ie, does it move, add, delete my original?

There is the possibility to delete/move the files within the Catalog only so your photos will be not deleted/moved on your HD. However, you can also delete the photos/folders forever(meaning that the files will be moved to the system's trash on your computer).

I recommend you try Luminar 3 on your own.

Comment actions Permalink
    Kenneth Roach

"Cataloging" is a new feature in Luminar 3, David. Though documentation has recently improved, cataloging remains poorly documented and so somewhat ambiguous to the users. Depending on the number of photos one has, they can become quite large, and in that event, unwieldy. However you wish to manage your photo collection (chronologically, by category (you mentioned landscapes and animals), you will have to bend to Luminar 3's capabilities and desires when trying to define the things that exist in your photo collections. Good luck with that.

David Czaya

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your comments! I guess I'll do some experimenting when I get a chance.

Dave In Trinity

Geo Hiker

Hi there, I'm new to Luminar as well and wanted to get clarification on the differences between Catalog and Album:

1.  Is a Catalog any folder listed in the Library?  Are all the folders I already have on my hardrive considered to be catalogs?  If I create a new folder on my hardrive, am I creating a new catalog?

2.  My understanding of Luminar's Album is that it's a virtual folder.  So If I have a photo of a deer in front of a lake in the Rocky Mountains on my hardrive, I can create 3 Albums called Deer, Lake, Mountains and place that one photo in all three albums.  This way, after hundreds of photos, I just have to go to into, say, my Deer Album, to find all my deer photos.  Is this correct?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Geo,

1. Your Luminar Catalog is a database that holds all of the edits, ratings, etc. that you apply to your images - however it doesn't not actually alter your images themselves.

The images in your folders are not moved or changed in any way. The Library in Luminar simply references them.

2. Yes, Luminar's Albums are essentially a virtual folder and works as you described.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if I can clarify further.

Geo Hiker

Thanks for clarifying that Angela.  So a catalog represents the hardrive where my photos are located.  If I had 3 hardrives I would create 3 separate catalogs in Luminar, right?

I'm a total newbie when it comes to Digital Asset Management.  In the early days I was good at creating and organizing folders, but during the last 7-10 years with 2 or 3 phones, 3 or 4 point and shoot cameras and to 2 micro 4/3 cameras I have unorganized photos spread everywhere.  So I love the fact that Luminar can put everything together by date.  The albums will be even a greater help.  Just a couple of other questions:

1. Can an album have a sub-Album?  For example, an album called Animals with Deer, Bear, Birds sub-albums?

2. Can I re-arrange the order the of the Albums?  It seems once they're created they can't be moved up or down.  Can I at least have them organized alphabetically?

3. Let's say I have 3 hardrives with photos.  Is there any disadvantage to transferring all the photos onto one hardrive?  For instance, if I end up having 100,000 photos on one hardrive, will that slow down Luminar, not only in terms of accessing the photos, but also in terms of editing speed and functionality?

4. I'm going to start rating the quality of my photos.  Once I have a few hundred photos rated and organized into different albums, would I be able to search for, say, all 4 star rated photos in a specific album or would the search be applied to the entire library?

Thanks in advance!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Geo,

You can have photos from multiple drives in one catalog. No need for multiple catalogs unless you wish to do so.

1. At the moment, no. I too hope this will be added in future updates.

2. No - not at this time. Again, I hope to see this in one of the future updates.

3. Depending on your computer's specs and the speed of your internal drive, it may cause Luminar to work a bit more slowly. If you go this route I suggest adding image folders in smaller groups rather than all at once.

The other consideration to putting all of your eggs into one basket so to speak is that if your drive malfunctions you could lose everything. As long as you have a good backup workflow in place this isn't a big deal. (Best practice is 3 copies of everything: original, local copy such as a copy on a separate hard drive in your home/office, an offsite backup, such as the cloud - I personally use Backblaze for cloud backup. Highly recommended.)

4. Here is some info on the filtering and sorting capability of Luminar: https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-12-filtering-images and https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-12-sorting-images

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please sign in to leave a comment.