Luminar 3.0.2 (3051) still slow when using it with a NAS System

Comments

20 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Konstantin,

I'm glad to hear that Luminar 3.0.2 is running for you. We will work to improve performance with NAS drives in upcoming updates. To that end, please let us know the following:

1. Are you connected to your NAS via wireless or Ethernet connection? Does connecting via Ethernet improve the situation?
    2. What is your NAS's file system?
    3. What is the protocol you're using to connect to your NAS?
    4. What is your NAS's make and model?

Thanks in advance! 

Comment actions Permalink
    Konstantin Latsunas

Hi,

as I wrote I was connected via wireless. Now I tested it via ethernet and it took 12 minutes to open an existent library.... with no adding new fotos .... only to open it

if you send me your email I will send you all my network information - don't want to share this here

regards Konstantin 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Konstantin - Please email it to support@skylum.com and include a link to this thread. Thanks in advance!

Gerald Fuchs

I do have exatly the same issue. It takes soooo long for Luminar to start with photos on a NAS. This makes Lunminar a kind of useless.

Terry Rogers

Hi Gerald! Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

I I have the same problem with a Synology NAS in combination with Luminar. I have updated to the latest version (3.1.2.). It takes forever for pictures to appear, and the thumbnails stay black.

Anastasia Davis

Could you also reach our support team? We will be happy to help: https://skylum.com/support

Carsten

I just found this thread while searching for Luminar in combination with a NAS because I experienced severe slowness as explained here. The catalog is stored on a local hard drive, but the whole library is a folder on a NAS: regular Synology NAS mounted via SMB (wifi, but a fast and stable AC wifi which is definitely fast enough considering the disk speed of the hard drives in the NAS).

An initial import from a NAS is ok to take a while: the catalog has to be built, thumbnails have to be generated etc. BUT: I have over 80,000 pictures on my NAS, both RAW and JPG, and just starting Luminar takes ages! I really mean just opening the application takes 20 minutes and more.

Could you please explain for all what the status of this situation is? I'm really baffled: just opening an established and indexed catalog must be lightning fast. Regardless of where the actual pictures are, how many pictures there are (this should only affect the one-time import), and also regardless of the connection state of the drive. Thumbnails should appear instantly even on slower computers, scrolling through previews etc. must be immediately possible.

When I actually want to edit a single RAW it's ok if it takes a second to load it from the NAS, but that's about the only part where I could accept loading up to a technically reasonable degree.

I'm really worried that this is a fundamental problem in Luminar concerning storage that is expected to appear or disappear at any time: this must not affect the performance regardless of how many pictures there are, nor must it ever corrupt the catalog database. This needs to be bulletproof from the start.

Andreas Brodow

I also have problems using my NAS. I wanted to have my catalog on the NAS because I wanted to use more than one computer and use the same catalog.

When I do this, it's very slow and the spot removal tool doesn't work.

The explanation I got from Skylum is that my NAS uses the filesystem ext4 and that is not a native MAC filesystem. You are probably using ext4 or Btrfs, neither of which is a native MAC filesystem and therefore problematic.

I hope Skylum will address the problems using NAS but I doubt it will happen soon.

Carsten

Hi Andreas, thanks for your comment.

I am not even storing the catalog on the NAS, just the main library is linked to it.

Regarding the file system: I am using one of the very popular Synology NAS (ds216j). The volumes are formatted in ext4, but the protocol used to mount and access the volumes is standard SMB. So the underlying filesystem is only relevant to the NAS itself, not the devices using it which renders that argument invalid (it would of course be a different story if the drives were directly attached via USB). If you really got this answer regarding your use of a NAS, I highly doubt the technical competence of the person responding.

Anyway, most people wouldn’t even know what those terms mean because that’s what the NAS (in this case the Synology OS) handles for the user. It is the only standard way to mount a NAS on a Mac (or any other client like TV, tablet etc.)

Andreas Brodow

Yes, I have tried both SMB and AFP when I mount my NAS, AFP is MAC native protocol. Same problem on both. I don't buy their explanation either but the DAM is so immature, I will look elsewhere for a DAM and use Luminar as plugin until their DAM works which won't happen whitin a year or two, I'm afraid.

Manuel Müller

Is this issue anyhow solved? 

Andreas Brodow

The problem with the spot removal tool not working when the pics and catalogue is on a NAS is still there. Skylum was able to reproduce the bug but it is not resolved yet. Any ETA on this?

Konstantin Latsunas

No the problem still alive 🥺
    I think the main problem is that it always want to Update the library
    It tooks permanent 25-35 minutes Even when i close the Program and Open it immediately

Maryna Skylum

Hi!

Please, contact us at support@skylum.com. We're ready to help you.

Andreas Brodow

Regarding the problem with spot removal, you are already aware of this problem, no point contacting you again but an ETA would be good

Anastasia Davis

Hi Andreas! Indeed we have encountered a similar issue on some devices. I am afraid there is no ETA for the fix yet. We will do our best.

Andreas Brodow

Yes, I have reported it before and had a long mail conversation with support and supplied videos.
    I will check in on future releases of Luminar but for now I will go elsewhere, Luminar 3 doesn't work at all with my setup. 

Carsten

I'm afraid I also have to stop using Luminar 3 as long as this or performance in general is not sufficiently solved. Using a NAS is common for a DAM that should be able to handle many thousands of pictures fast and fluently regardless of source. Performance and core functionality are currently subpar and need to be right before I can consider coming back or even upgrade to Luminar 4. Forgive me if I value flashy features like sky replacement lower than this: such features need a solid base. Please update with an ETA on this, it would be much appreciated.

Anastasia Davis

We are doing our best and will try to fix these performance issues as soon as possible. I am sorry to read your words. We will keep on working on the software so you were fully satisfied with our products.

Please sign in to leave a comment.