3.0.2 2186 does not start with too much thumbnails

Comments

4 comments

Erwin Kargl

Some more infos:

it must be the quantity of thumbnails, cause I could open the same catalog while there haven´t been all images as thumbnails in the catalog. When I shut-down L3 with the task manager and open L3 without a catalog (just rename the folder of the catalog), its fine to open the same catalog while L3 is running.

Comment actions Permalink
    Erwin Kargl

Just one more try ... 1.5 hours waiting, L3 not opening catalog with 100.000+ images.

Catalog with 30.000+ images maybe 20 seconds

catalog with no images maybe 5 seconds

Rob Strower

@Erwin

You are onto something there.

My catalogue has swollen to almost 6GB (!) now for a pic folder of about 4k of fotos.

Funny thing is I found many original RAWs in the folder "Pictures/Luminar Catalog/Resources"

My guess is that those files are the edited pics Luminar saved (and their history) - strange thing is there are some of my RAWs I edited using Luminar 2018 and not Luminar 3.

I guess it has something to do with the sheer size of that Luminar Catalog or maybe the images stored in that folder (Resources) why some people can start Luminar 3 fast and without problems while others can´t.

I wish I had more information from Skylum to check what is actually happening there but I am sure their programmers already know what is going on and working on a solution. It is too obvious in my opinion. But again, I have no information about any insides of Luminar 3. They want to keep that inside and that is absolutely understandable.

How big is(was) your Luminar 3 Catalog folder with 100k of images if I may ask, Erwin?

All the best,

Robin

Erwin Kargl

Hi Robin,

thanks for your feedback. As I understand, the catalog is "only" the xy.luminar file and this file is about 13 MB for 30.000 images. The other folders are created "on the fly", means that Luminar creates them AND filles them, when it´s scanning the folders. All image development, the location of the folders and ??? is in the xy.luminar file. The whole folder of the catalog is around 3 GB. The problem is, that when the folder "PreviewCache" has to many thumbnails, my Luminar does not start anymore. It´s not about the quantity of images in the catalog, it´s about the thumbnails. When Luminar does not open anymore I can delete or rename the "PreviewCache" folder and Luminar starts without problems in seconds ...

Erwin

Please sign in to leave a comment.