Luminar 2018 vs Luminar 3 (without DAM)

Comments

9 comments

Jerry Hall

It would be nice if there was an “opt in” setting for the library before it takes off.

Comment actions Permalink
    Paul Savas

Good question. I'm in the same boat

Vance Zachary

I have no use for the Luminar DAM as it exists right now but l still like using Luminar 3 accessing it from Lightroom.

There have been a few improvements for Windows users such visible gradient in the Adjustable Gradient filter and the ability to move the center in Vignette filter. So they have continued to add features to improve Windows parity with Mac.

However, Windows L3 version loses the keyboard shortcuts that L 2018 had. Some of that will be added presumably with the upcoming update.

Also, almost forgot, in L3 you can preview what a given LUT will look like on an image by hovering your mouse over it. You can't do that with the 2018 version. Not everyone uses LUTs but, if you do, that is a big advantage.

Vance Zachary

One last thing. All future improvements and new Luminar features will be added to Luminar 3 and not Luminar 2018.

Bjarne Winkler

@Jerry Hall I agree with you if Skylum would see the writing on the wall. Let people opt-out of the DAM for now and then when it is fully working and if the user wants to take advantage of it then they opt-in. This to me would be a parallel to that some people will only use it as a plugin to another program.

This opt-out / opt-in will make a ton of people happy!

Bjarne Winkler

@Paul Savas – I totally understand that Skylum do not want to support both Luminar 2018 and Luminar 3, but since that real bad day in December, the real world, have had to use both or simply stay with Luminar 2018 to get the work done.

Bjarne Winkler

@Vance Zachary thanks for the listing of Pros and Cons with regards to Luminar 2018 and Luminar 3 without the DAM.

So, fare the Adjustable Gradient falls under a big Pros, but does it balance the Cons like missing short-cuts, and you can save the work as a kind of side-car file or as I like to think about it as a project. I get the LUT preview as a Pros, big plus. Good point on the future improvement will only be on Luminar 3, but where I am standing, I first must really cross that bridge at the end of 2019 when my free update to Luminar 3 expires.

To get the world to move from Luminar 2018 to Luminar 3, Skylum has to make major improvement to the edit part of Luminar 3 since I hear lots of people saying if the opt-out DAM is not there then Luminar 3 is more headache than beautiful edit pictures.

Vance Zachary

@Bjarne Winkler I would definitely wait for the next update because Luminar 3 Edit now needs more stability. However, you can use Luminar 3 as a plugin just like with Luminar 2018. When you access Luminar 3 from Lightroom, for example, you will go to Luminar and will be completely in Edit only mode just like Luminar 2018. You will not be able to even access the Library.

A notable difference is that in Luminar 2018, you can open multiple instances of Luminar with different photos at the same time. With Luminar 3, you can only have once instance open at a time.

When you open an image in Luminar 3, the program opens about 1-3 secs slower than L2018 on my Windows machine...much faster than opening the Libraries.

Bjarne Winkler

@Vance Zachary, thanks for your suggestion.

So due too the DAM Skylum have locked Luminar 3 to one single instance of the program. I hope with the opt-out DAM option that we are all hoping for that would not be the case.

Please note that Luminar 2018 Windows is also single instances of photos opened at the same time in a single instance of the program running, whereas the Mac version is the only multiple photos in a single instance of the program running.

Please sign in to leave a comment.