Export to Flickr

Comments

24 comments

Steve Ratts

@simon,

Where did they say this limitation was Apple's fault? I must have missed that. I'm curious about why that would be.

Lots of folks need more and better export options. For me it would be 500px and instagram; but Flikr would be useful as well so I'll happily second this request.

Comment actions Permalink
    Phil Hurd

I saw the thread that mentioned Apple but it also said that Flickr had changed their API. Well I can still upload from Lightroom to Flickr using the same Plugin that I have been using for over 3 years. So I guess its just an excuse because its not a priority.

Steve Ratts

@Phil,

If LR can do it, then in principle any SW should also be able to do it. I really don't think it should be that hard. But note you said "using the same Plugin that I have been using for over 3 years". LR allows users to write their own plugins and share or sell them. Luminar doesn't, and adding such a capability isn't trivial. It could be that there's something about user written plugins that gets around something for apps like LR and/or Luminar. I don't know enough about the problem to say for sure, but I suppose it's possible that Apple prevents or restricts apps like Luminar and/or LR from delivering this capability natively (which just sounds like something really stupid Apple would do)

All things considered, we should definitely keep pushing for this capability. If the problem is something like I've described above, then it's not so much an excuse as a matter of they haven't tackled how to add user written extension (which would not be controlled or limited by Apple, etc.) Probably only a few would ever make use of that capability, but they would be investing in the Luminar ecosystem and making it better for everyone. I think in the long run Luminar will need that.

Cheers,

Steve

Phil Hurd

The reason I said that I was  using the same Plugin for 3 years was to demonstrate that Flickr have not (as stated by Skylum) changed their API, otherwise it wouldn't have worked. I actually have 2 Flickr Plugins, one from the Adobe official list and one by Jeffrey Friedl, who is a bit of a Lightroom guru.

I also have Lightroom Plugins for all of the Skylum (MacPhun) apps, so its not as if Skylum don't know how to write them, certainly for Lightroom and don't forget there are already Skylum authored Plugins for interoperability between Luminar and Aurora and their Creative Kit products.

I think its just a case of it not being a priority for them.

The Apple issue is a red herring

Steve Ratts

@Phil,

If you've been using the same plugins for years without needing to update them, then it's very likely Flickr hasn't changed their API in that time - or if they did, they made such minor changes that it didn't impact these plugins. But that doesn;t really have anything to do with the point I was trying to make.

It's not a matter of Skulum writing a plugin for LR, it's a matter of Skulum adding the capability for Luminar to support plugins. These are very different things. A plugin is kind of like a script or small program that executes inside another app or when called by that app. If you've got an API that supports users writing plugins (and LR does), then anyone who reads the API documentation and gets the  necessary tools can code away. Not really a big problem. However if an app (say Luminar) doesn't have a scripting language embedded in it, and thus there is no API to support anyone writing plugins, then before the first plugin can be written there is a considerable amount of work that has to be done so that the app will support writing plugins.

So, given that Adobe has already done that work, and there is a plugin API for LR, then it's really not a big deal for Skylum to make a plugin that allows a LR user to send an image to Aurora or Luminar. Easy peasy.. To add the capability for Luminar (or any app) to support user plugins is a completely different problem in scale, complexity, skill set, etc.

So, yes, adding such an API doe not appear to be a priiority to them. But please understand you're asking for something that may be as complex as adding the DAM. I really hope it's on their long term road map, but I would much rather see them solve the problems of today than try to add such a complex feature. A reasonable prioritization I think.

As for the Apple issue, if it's a red hearing then why don't Adobe apps natively support export to Flickr? Why are plugins needed to accomplish that? It's really quite plausible, I'd say probable given Apple's history, that they do prevent apps from doing this sort of thing - which would certainly explain why you need a plugin to do it with LR.

Cheers,

Steve

Phil Hurd

Clearly we are at cross purposes @Steve Ratts either raht or you haven't read the thread properly!

Steve Ratts

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

I will let our developers know that the Flickr upload capability is important to you, and hopefully we can add it back in the future.

Steve Ratts

Thank you Angela.

Please also include Instagram, 500px, etc. For me Instagram is more important followed by 500px, but obviously this is a matter of personal preference and the real point is to give folks a variety of ways to easily share the images they produce in Luminar through their social media.

Leila Evans

@Steve Ratts I'll forward this suggestion to our dev team also.

Phil Hurd

Nice as this would be, I personally think that the interoperability between Luminar 3 and Aurora HDR 2019 is of greater priority. Especially the ability to send RAW files to Aurora rather than TIFF files.

Roy Blackwell

I would like to add my voice to the request for Upload to Flickr support. The recent Luminar 3 3.1 update added support for SmugMug and SmugMug owns Flickr. Should be a fairly easy thing to get done.

Martin Connolly

Can I add my request for an export to Flickr? Also 500px would be nice to have.

Deborah Hinter

SmugMug bought Flickr, updated our email login (which is good to be rid of yahoo).  BUT, now I am unable to use Luminar 3 to share to Flickr.  I can share from Lightroom.  This is a game changer for me, and sharing to Flickr Community is a critical step, which Lightroom accomplishes without hitch.  Can you please provide an update to the problem, instead of a standard reply such as, please get in touch with support, or we are working on it?  Can you provide a reason to us, your customers, as to why it suddenly quite working?  SmugMug and Flickr and Skylum?  I've checked Apple already.....Thanks in advance for all your are doing here.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Deborah, 

Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support so we could assist you in a better way. 

Phil Hurd

@Anna Veres, you didn't really read Deborah's posts, did you . . . " Can you please provide an update to the problem, instead of a standard reply such as, please get in touch with support"

I think we would all like tio know the answer . . .

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Phil,

Unfortunately, new Apple policies restrict exporting media to websites.

This is the reason why we have disabled this option in the latest update.

Now you can only manually upload pictures to your Flickr account through the website.

If we have any updates, we will definitely let you know! 

Martin Connolly

Hi Anna, but Apple Photos lets me export to Flickr or 500px, so that doesn’t sound right to me.

Deborah Hinter

Hello,

I'm not clear as to the reason SKYLUM disabled the function for the reason you stated.  As, Adobe Lightroom has not disabled that same function, from an Apple Laptop.  So, if we can publish to Flickr from Lightroom on a Mac, why then are they able to keep that function viable if Skylum must disable that same function from Luminar?  Very suspicious reasoning in my humble opinion.  We really would like to know the answer to this.  I have received a reply from support, stating that Apple does not include sharing to social media sites on their latest OS.  However, I am still using High Sierra, which isn't the most recent OS.  That is the OS I am using with Lightroom.  Very confused here.... I just prepaid for v4 of Luminar, and now believe I may have jumped the gun in spending my money.  I really want to love your product, but I see so many responses from your support team, that just do not jive with each other.  Makes my confidence go out the window on your entire company.  I don't want to be a whiner, however, it seems like a real confusing mess right now.

Deborah Hinter

This was posted on the Skylum FB Page.

Hi, with the introduction of Mojave the sharing to the social websites have been removed and it's now up to each particular web site to provide an extension for an application so it can upload directly to the site. I suppose Lightroom uses either its own extension to export photos to Flickr or an extension provided directly by Flickr.

Phil Hurd

Fine for people that use Facebook but why didn't Skylum post it here?

Anyway it makes sense that I can post to Flickr from Lightroom as I'm using High Sierra.

Deborah Hinter

They posted there in response to my post with my question and comments.

Deborah Hinter

What it looks like to me, is that Luminar/Skylum needs to develop a plugin, plain and simple.  Not blaming Apple, when clearly, Adobe Lightroom is able to publish to Flickr.

Phil Hurd

They can't even provide a Plugin to send 3 bracketed images feom Luminar to Aurora 2019, which is one of their own products. So I would say fat chance of them being able to write a Flickr Plugin.

Seriously I think they are so focussed on AI, that all other functionality has a much lower priority, even if they have previously promised it.

Please sign in to leave a comment.