New Luminar update is coming soon

Comments

33 comments

Richard Huggins

No apology to those who got the update last week and installed it in good faith?

Comment actions Permalink
    Victor Araujo

I've already lost some data just by moving some files from an external SSD to my HDD while using Luminar 3.0.1. I was hoping that this update will fix this and other issues I've been having, but I guess it got even worse...

I really think that Skylum should take a clear stand and state that they will stop treating the user's catalog and edits as something that is disposable

Just a quick look at the posts in this community, shows lots of posts where the support suggests troubleshoot steps that will end up with the user history erased.

Colin Grant

@Alex, whilst I am sure we all prefer to wait for a stable update, I cannot understand why you say you were planning to issue the original on the 12th when the Roadmap said late Jan/early Feb. There was already a delay clearly but you chose to say nothing. Following that you launched a flawed pre-release update to some unsuspecting users without telling them to use at their own risk. I do not believe you found the critical issues either, I believe that was the users who were being used as unsuspecting testers.

We would all like to know when Skylum are going to learn how to do all this properly.  We, your loyal users, do not want this merry-go-round of every release being a crisis. When will you start undertaking proper beta and pre-release testing. Why won't you adopt the ON1 model where the early adopters (who have paid) are given the opportunity to test pre release software for a few weeks prior to public release. When will you drop the arrogance and learn?  You want us to have a fantastic day so do your bit and give us fantastic or at least working software.

Bob Bruce

Well said. If Skylum involved their loyal customers in testing we would all develop a sense of ownership of the product and would work together to get it right. The way it has been handled has been poor and Skylum continually over promise and under deliver and so customers are falling away.

Ronald Skinner

I agree with the other user comments, while I love the Luminar Editor, using the Library is very frustrating as you scroll through the Library Images in the editor, you have to wait while the adjustments are applied and watch as the photo goes through strange color changes till the final image appears, this is very annoying, I like scrolling through the images and comparing similar photo to each other and having to wait while the image is processed as you scroll is painful. Also using a magic mouse in the editor is a nightmare, barely moving your finger on it scrolls to another photo. What I find hard to believe is that no one working on Luminar Libraries experienced any of these issues before it was released, when I buy a product I want a well tested working product, sure it may have a minor issue here and there, but the Library in Luminar is full of preformance issues that never should have gotten past the beta testers. I sure hope the next release is a big improvement and not just a few minor tweaks.  I've recommended Luminar to a lot of photographers since I started using it when it was first released. I can't however recommend the Library version till you come our with a well working and well tested version.  BTW I'm using a newer iMac with 32gb memory and an SSD drive and a thunderbolt external drive.

Andrew Hewitt

It's all very silly. We've been waiting for the management function since October 2017. It's great that it's arrived, but let down badly by being so poorly implemented. Even now you're continuing to over-promise and under-deliver, and just not learning from past mistakes - you promised an update to v3.1 by late January, then moved it to Late January/Early February, and it reduced to a point release at 3.0.2, and now even that's been delayed.

I am on the annual subscription to Lightroom Photography Plan, which expires in the summer. I was hoping to get away from the subscription plan, but to be quite honest Lightroom is proving to be a stable app, and their services provides exceptional value for money with package of syncing and complimentary apps included.

The real shame of it is, I have always liked the MacPhun/Skylum software, but I'm losing patience now. I was already frustrated that I bought the Creative Kit, and was sold that on a pay once, use forever licence, only to find it's become abandoned, and no longer developed. Similarly with Luminar, and indeed Aurora. You sell them all with the 'pay once, enjoy forever' tag line, but forget to mention that's only as long as you don't increment the year code on each version, and charge again for the 'new' version.

Another frustration is that apart from the unstable library function, Luminar is a pretty good photo editor, being easy to work with, and gives excellent results. v2018 was a superb editing app, albeit always missing the promised DAM function.

You could really do with actually listening to your customers in the forums, and have a look more closely at the competitors, and see what they're doing that's working.

Robert Lancaster

Yes, there are definitely those of us who would volunteer to test new beta versions of the software prior to the release.  I would definitely do so.  I believe that I can take adequate precautions to prevent any loss of my own data.  I could even test it in another system or virtual machine if needed.  I really do support the work that Skylum is doing.  I think they have an excellent vision and plan for what they want their software to ultimately become.  

But I think inviting beta testers to test it out a week or two before a major rollout is an infinitely better approach to releasing software in a few select areas first, finding problems, and then holding back the release until the problems get fixed.  If you use the beta testers approach, not only can you find the problems earlier, instead of upsetting customers who unsuspectingly have problems, you get beta testers who are really excited to try out the latest stuff and are not worried about a few issues.  With the current approach, you upset the customers who feel like countries like Canada and Australia are getting favoritism and that its not fair they don't get the update too, until they realize that those Canadians and Australians were not lucky, they were Guinea Pigs.

If Skylum is interested, I will be a guinea pig and poke and prod the software to find some issues without fear of losing data.  I don't have a ton of time, but I would do some beta testing.  What Skylum should really do is ask some guinea pigs if they would like to be guinea pigs.  I bet more people would volunteer than just me.

Richard Huggins

I'm an Australian user who was burnt by 3.0.2. If I had known I was a de facto beta tester I would not have put my entire catalogue at risk. Still no apology from Skylum.

Jeff Kovitz

Yes, I was one of the lucky unsuspecting beta testers (or is it alpha testers?) who got a bit trashed by 3.02.  I had thought by now Alex would be a bit more focused on quality and not be so obsessed with extensive marketing and a tiny bit of quality.  I still think the Luminar concept is good but we need some grownups in the room to have a proper quality control and beta test program rather than the rah-rah 'here are some free presets" and incremental untested improvements for yah.  

Maybe soon...

Ronald Skinner

Yeah instead of blindsiding a couple of countries with an early release to find the bugs for them, they should make an announcement  asking for volunteers to beta test the next release before its released to the customer base, the more beta testers the better, that way people with different computer configurations and using different cameras to take the photos could weed out the bugs ahead of time. Lets face it there a hundreds of different computer configurations and people are using all different brands of cameras, some are low resolution and some are high resolution. The more people beta testing the better chance you have to catch most of the bugs. If the next release comes out and there are still a lot of performance issues they are really gonna be in a mess, as it is right now I don't even use the library, I've been using Photo Mechanic to scroll through my photos and just use Quick Edit in Luminar.  I love the Luminar Editor but the Library isn't fun to use at all.

Jeff Kovitz

Agreed Ronald.  The library is still useless.  And buggy.  Have gotten very good at On1 Raw and even Affinity Photo and Topay\z Studio out of desperation as Luminar still tends to crash if you get too many layers or edits in it.  (sigh).   I had such I hope for Luminar as I like their approach.  But they are not CLOSE yet.  A proper beta program would help.  While I don't care about the cost, you can be sure they will add a couple of "AI" filters and start charging for an upgrade before it is reliable and stable with a tsunami of marketing.

Jim West

As one of the Canadian users who got blindsided I will add my comments. I am a CPA and have worked on a number of major software installations/upgrades in my career. 

It has become painfully obvious that Skylum is not following the most basic rules of a successful software implementation.

1. Airtight testing and a rigorous “try and break it” routine. 

2.Clear communication to the customer.

If I had rolled out the software installation/upgrades the way Skylum has, I would have been fired!

Like so many others I am appalled at how unprofessional these updates have been handled. 

We keep seeing advertisements that this product will replace Adobe. The sad reality is that it is not even close to replacing programs like ON1 RAW 2019, let alone Lightroom/photoshop. How are we to have faith that Luminar will have a Lens correction feature that actually works. How about importing a LR catalogue. Or just a catalogue period.

So like many others I have lost all confidence that Skylum is following any kind of proper quality control or learning from their mistakes. 

Alex, when you focused on generating good plugins you were successful. But now not at all. So unless you completely change the culture of your company it will not be long before you will not have a company. The big boys like Adobe will not have to do anything. 

Nigel Turley

Alex - this is another nail in the Skylum / Luminar coffin for me I'm afraid. Although I wasn't part of the unofficial 'beta testing' for the rushed 3.02 release, I feel for those who were. The attitude of Skylum stinks quite frankly - your cavalier approach in releasing software which simply isn't fit for purpose proves that although your intentions may have started out being good, they're now driven by marketing and sales with no feeling for your customers. Just reading the posts throughout the forums with the 'scripted' responses from your support team just shows you really don't have a clue how important image editing software is for some people - providing so-called solutions to problems that actually destroy critical work is just not good enough.

I think it's certain that you will lose face and customers over this - no matter how sycophantic your 'reviewers' on the various social media channels are (how much do they get paid by the way?), the truth is that Luminar is far from a Lightroom alternative and has just become a bug ridden, slow and unreliable piece of software. It really should be withdrawn from the market until it's undergone some major rewrites, tested thoroughly using a managed beta program, and then may just be fit for release...

lee chandler

Alex - I am another Australian user who downloaded v3.0.2 (2953), not realising I was in the "test country". Initially I was happy with the apparent improvement to open and commence working through libraries and editing. However it has become quite frustrating as luminar now lists libraries that have over 40,000 images as containing 'nil'. I close and restart and the library is reloaded but now all the edits I have made have gone. Suffice to say that this is not satisfactory and not what I expect from my image manager and editor. 

I'm not sure how much longer I will continue with luminar 3, perhaps I am better off sticking to luminar 2018???

David Jenkins

The software industry has long been know for using its customers as its Quality Control Department, releasing buggy products and fixing them on the fly based on customer complaints - who remembers Windows Vista? However, competitive pressures have caused a radical switch to more stable releases in order to maintain market credibility and position.

The photo editing/DAM market is awash with strong, reliable products and existing/potential customers just will not tolerate these shenanigans from Skylum when they have viable options. Time is running out: if there isn’t a reliable release of Luminar 3 within the next couple of month, I suspect Skylum with self-destruct. This will be a great pity: in the MacPhun days the company produced strong niche products that were a delight to use. Unfortunately, corporate hubris has overtaken sound business practices and promoting Luminar 3 as a ‘Lightroom Killer’ ahead of having a viable product may be their undoing.

Colin Grant

I guess Skylum are a very small company. There have been boasts in the past that they are pretty much self financing and that will always put pressure on a small company. Development cannot be funded without selling and that puts significant pressure on lead it times and time for robust testing.. We often talk about Skylum being driven by marketing but that its all Skylum is: a company run by its CEO with a vision to sell, sell and then sell some more. The quality of the product is secondary to the hype and that has been proven time and time again regrettably. It was not like it when they were Macphun but I guess for whatever reason there was a need to up the pace. All this rubbish about buy once and use forever does not hold water for without cash flow Skylum will fail. Of course a rubbish product will also kill the cash flow eventually.

Richard Huggins

lee chandler, there's a chance Luminar 3 kept some backups. I had your problem and it didn't for me but support said to hold the option key when you start Luminar 3 and if they are still there you can load a backup to recover your edits.

Dmytro B.

We always release our software in a rolling wave - soft launch. We posted more information about it in our new post here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360041569911

However, in this particular case, we decided to put the worldwide update release on pause, in order to deliver a quality product to all our customers.

Subias Gilles

So why did you promise update on end january/early feb, then feb. 10-12, then feb. 16-17 ?

You should name Luminar "¡mañana! ¡mañana!" 

Mike Freislich

Hey @Alex_Tsepko,

Thanks for the update. As a totally novice photographer, I'm inspired by the work of your team so far.

I wish the people on these threads came across as less "entitled" - sorry folks. I appreciate your frustration, I am frustrated at the delays too, but this software stuff is just not as easy as wishing a feature into existence. 

@Alex... I appeal to you -  resist the urge to overtime/weekend yourself and your devs. It'll pay off in the long run. Tired minds = more bugs = tired minds... it's a vicious cycle. If you need help with creating more reliable forecasts (not estimates) of when features will be released, feel free to contact me. I may be able to help.

-Mike

Jakob Beclin

@Mike Freislich: What country do you live in? Has the distribution of the update already started?

Bob Bruce

A pretty unbelievable comment from @Mike Freislich. It was silly of us to feel entitled to a working product after reading the sales pitch and handing over the money. Then I read your last paragraph and saw why you were sympathetic towards Skylum.

Andrew Hewitt

@Bob & @Mike, yes, anyone that has paid for a product is 'entitled' to a product that is functional and of merchantable quality, and should be 'fit for purpose'. In the case of Luminar 2018, it was sold to me with the function of a DAM to be included (early 2018 was the promise). This never materialised in that version at all. The DAM has now finally arrived, but is very unstable. It may work for some, but I'd be surprised if it was working for many, judging by how easily it falls down for so many users in the forums.

It's only because I have had so much regard for the MacPhun software, and because Luminar is actually a very good photo editing app, that I've stuck with it, and been very patient. However, I still feel I am entitled to voice my opinion, as I have paid for that privilege when the product I was promised hasn't yet been delivered.

I get the time and effort involved in developing, testing and rolling out such complex software. What I don't get is the fact they they never learn, and continue to promise fixes, features and release dates that are continuously passed by.

I really wanted this to be a success, and still do, but they need to know how their customers feel. We can't just sit around quietly hoping things will get fixed.

Jim West

@Mike Freislich. When you buy a new product in good faith that it will work..and then doesn't...does that make you entitled. Of course!

This software is supposed to replace Lightroom and Photoshop! That is not a promise to novice photographers only but to thousands of professionals. Photographers have lost their entire library! If I was not also using Lightroom I would be in the same boat. So if they feel entitled to a product that works, how can you blame them! 

No one is suggesting that producing great software like Noiseless CK, Luminar 18 or Aurora 19 was easy. But it worked great for iMac because it must have been properly tested before being released. I have paid over $600 to Skylum for their products in just 3 years!  Some work great like Aurora and Noiseless CK. So we know they can do it. 

However the PC versions of Aurora and Luminar were disasters because they were released way too soon...even with Beta Testing.  

And now there is the much awaited Luminar 3.0 with DAM that was released a year later than promised. And it has been a disaster on both PC and iMac from day one. 

And now we have been lead even deeper into a buggy upgrade Luminar 3.02 that has NOT been properly tested and in fact will not even run on my computer AT ALL. This simply cannot happen to a faithful patient customer base. Novice or professional! 

And now to see some lame post from Dmytro B. stating that this was not a test roll out but in fact a "soft launch" is unbelievable!  And a link to an explanation of what a soft launch means that was written 2 hours ago!? 

Skylum would have been way better off saying that yes this was a test release to a few select countries like us here in Canada to work out the bugs. But to admit it was a full soft launch release only confirms that they thought the product was actually ready for full release.  

Absurd and so unbelievably amateurish. 

Jeff Kovitz

Well I have been with these guys since inception - they market the crap out of crap these days.  As much as I like luminar (and I do) I have had enough and deleted the software today.  They won’t notice or miss me as they peddle their buggy half done software, but its time to move forward.   On1 raw, affinity photo, alien skin exposure amd topaz studio are are all reliable and robust....   Bye Alex.  Sooner or later you will get this right...

Andy H

@Jeff. I just spent most of the weekend using ON1 Photo RAW 2019.2 as my DAM and primary editor, and Topaz Studio as a "plug-in" using ON1's "Send to Other Application" function.  Worked flawlessly, did not have a single crash the whole weekend and edited over 100 photos. Thought I'd try Luminar 3 again this evening - didn't complete even 1 edit before it crashed. Says it all really. I'm keeping Luminar 3 on the hard drive in the (unlikely) event the new version of 3.0.2 will resolve the issues. If it doesn't then I'll be assigning Luminar to the Trash as well.

Andy H

@Mike Freislich.  Those of us who have waited over 2 years and given Skylum hundreds of dollars for a product that's simply not fit for purpose are definitely "entitled" to our views, or as I prefer to call it; "holding Skylum accountable." Do a search of this Community Forum and you'll see a clear pattern of failure to deliver on promises (3.0.2 was originally due end January), releasing updates that are not ready to release (limited release of 3.0.2 two weeks ago failed to do anything for many people).

Mike Freislich

Thanks for all your feedback. Here's the reality.

1) when buying into (investing) something that doesn't yet exist, we must acknowledge a portion of the risk. It is clear that we are funding the development. The continued attempts capture more of the market by providing specials etc. are signs that perhaps more capital is needed to keep breathing life into the product (which as some have put it, has an extremely high barrier to market entry - setting out to compete with the mature likes of lightroom and photoshop; this is a long term play, not an overnight win).

2) software endeavouring to provide the kind of novelty that sparks joy, pushes boundaries and connects with our dreams and desires is almost always harder to create than initially "guessed".

3) the developers who create such software have also bought into the dream. They want to succeed, and they, like most other people suffering from the human condition are typically overly optimistic. Asking such people for estimates almost always results in disappointment. I know from a lot of experience.

4) I have read the threads: I have found the vast majority of posts to be negative, judgemental, condescending and derogatory towards the humans (and their skills), who are trying to turn this dream into reality. I would hazard to bet that all of this emotive speak is absent even having met them. I feel sad when I see this.

5) I am in South Africa... and no I have not been part of any early release programme. I have incidentally lost an entire catalog of edits along with photos due to the first release. I am happy to see that the root cause for this has been addressed. I was complicit in the loss, because I didn't do the obvious thing and make a backup before trying a migration. Rookie mistake. So - water under the bridge. 

6) I know that the science surrounding incentivising / motivating creative people (which I can relate to directly) suggests that carrot and stick motivation techniques, can provide short term results, but is ultimately destructive. The throw away emotional remarks on these forums are unhelpful, and ultimately serve to demotivate the team, who I suspect already feels the weight of the quality issues and time and money issues. 

7) I used the word "entitled" as an adjective for the general postings on here served it's purpose to attract attention. The next hope is to provoke a change in the tone of the conversation. Of course it's unacceptable that we've waited a year longer than "promised" for release 1 of the DAM. But I'd like to believe that this estimate was borne from a position of best intention and information at the time, rather than from a position of malicious intent.

8) I for one would like to see my "small" investment in Luminar/Skylum bear fruit. Continuing to berate the CEO and developers for not making deadlines (I too have been waiting along time), isn't going to solve the problem - of course they're accountable for their decisions and communications. The continued demands and berating is a tragic expression of an unmet need. It's tragic, because it is likely to cause the exact opposite effect of what we as the consumers are looking for: more pressure to deliver faster, which will have the ripple effects of overtime work, stress and reduced quality, even longer timelines, and ultimately the demise of the platform completely. I would rather wait for quality and support in any way that I can.

9) My offer to @alex_tsepko still stands. It was a genuine offer to help with forecasting techniques instead of using estimates/guesses as to when what will be done. We don't want another "Fyre" on our hands ;) (check it out on netflix)

Bob Bruce

@Mike Freislich Your first sentence refers to your reality, not the customers that have posted on this forum.

I didn't buy into a dream or look for joy. I bought a software application that promised to release me from the LR subscription model. I expected it to substantially work. The comments are unsurprisingly negative because customers are not happy. It is also clear that the customers are loyal and want this application to work. That's why they bother with forum.

Disaffected customers do not need to be provoked into changing the tone of the conversation by you or anyone. The tone will change when the application becomes fit for purpose. Insulating Skylum from the reaction of their customers will not lead to a resolution. Making them aware they need to perform better because there is competition out there, will.

Mike Freislich

Thanks @Bob. You speak truth.

Freedom of speech is a good thing. I hope it doesn't have the systemic effect of killing the very thing that I think we all want - the "promised" product.

Please sign in to leave a comment.