New Luminar update is coming soon

Comments

69 comments

Jack Roth

I have been a software developer my whole career. I completely understand how issues can prop up at the last second, in spite of all the imaginable testing. Luminar is an innovative product in many ways, and it is being marketed at a very accessible price point considering the feature set. The Luminar 3 version was a substantial improvement and offered many new features that truly enhanced the product. I find the internet tends to make it look like everything is negative, because people who are happy don't have as much reason to post. Pulling back an update, even at the last minute, is absolutely the right thing to do for Skylum to protect their customers. And since the bugs were discovered essentially after the very initial part of the release cycle, they now need time to be taken to understand all the ramifications and come up with solutions, because this is something that needs to be done only once. I have been part of such issues, I guarantee everyone that they want nothing more than to release the update. I much prefer waiting to make sure the update when it comes is essentially bug free, than to have to deal with a less stable release than I had before. So please take your time Skylum, and thanks for your hard work.

Comment actions Permalink
    Christopher Barkey

+1 +1 +1

My saying, just a bit more detailed. And less rude! O:-)

Dmytro B.

We always release our software in a rolling wave - soft launch. We also posted more information about it in our new post here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360041569911

However, in this particular case, we decided to put the worldwide update release on pause, in order to deliver a quality product to all our customers.

George Knochel

@Christopher Barkey

Chris, you said you are a Developer?  Well, I was one for over 30 years, from mainframe corporation-size installations to mini computers to Unix and Windows PCs.  Then retired.  And, in all of my career, in every team that I was in, there was always very careful planning and rigorous system testing of all programs and procedures BEFORE RELEASING THE SOFTWARE TO PRODUCTION status!

Here, with this software, L3, I'm sorry to see that it sure is not that.  And sad to see that many companies in the last several years seem to be so sloppy in their organizational program coding, system testing, and quality assurance methods.

Richard Harrington

@Colin there is a Locate files command now on Mac.  Coming to Windows soon.  You can tell it where to look on a new drive if you needed to restore to a different drive or location.

Richard Harrington

@Andrew

To respond to your comments

"Not just the fact they are promoting a product that's not really working well at the moment, but other factors too."

The product for most users is working very well.  But being specific about the bugs or issues you are having helps the team fix them.  The release that shipped today fixes hundreds of things that people reported.  There are so many possible configurations and hardware options, as well as workflows.  Filing a report helps.

"Such as the way they bang on about you only paying once, but 'enjoy' forever. Yet the next year they change the product version number and charge again for it, or even cease development altogether, as they did with the Creative Kit products."

The software purchase you buy can be enjoyed forever. Simply keep your computer on one of the supported operating systems and use a supported camera.  Skylum releases multiple free updates for both performance and features as well as numerous free looks and LUTs for download in the marketplace to give you fresh options.

However, from time to time there are NEW upgrades that add NEW features.  These are offered at a discount to customers and they are an optional purchase.  If you don't want the new features, stay put with the application version you have.  It will continue to work.

As far as the Creative Kit products, yes application all eventually end.  However, those apps all still launch and I use some of them today.  What is it you're missing or unable to do with them?

"I don't have an objection to the buy a product - get a few bug 'updates' for free - pay for an 'upgrade' to the next full version cycle. But that's not what they imply when you buy a product, I'm expecting to buy Aurora, or Luminar, and not have to pay again for as long as I want to use that product - calling it Aurora 2019, or Luminar 2018 and adding a few new features isn't really playing by the rules IMHO. It's certainly not helping with my trust and respect for Skylum."

The product page says "No Subscription, Own and Enjoy" which is fully true.

It also says Luminar 3. Pay Once and Enjoy Forever.  That is also true.  But it is not promising free updates forever and all new features.  It's trying to say that you own the software and can run it for as long as you want.  For example I have an old MacBook Air.  It's frozen at OS 10.7.  It still boots.  It still runs.  But Apple won't let me upgrade it to newer OS because of hardware limitations.    But I still own it, it still works, and my son uses it often.

I get the semantics and that this can be misunderstood.  The team is looking to add clarity here.

they also made Luminar 3 a free upgrade to Luminar 2018.

Even if we do get a working DAM eventually, I'm not actually sure I can trust Skylum anymore, how long will it work properly, how long will they continue developing Luminar before abandoning it, or changing to a 'new' different product.

Both Aurora HDR and Luminar have multiple updates planned.  You can also see the Luminar roadmap which ius published here – https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Anastasia Davis

Hi Zach! Thanks for sharing your opinion with us. Its good to hear that you are enjoying Luminar :)

Denis Kotsee

On Mac you can use File > Catalog > Backup to create a backup in a location of your choice.

On Windows backups are created automatically in Luminar Catalog folder. You can manually move the backup files to a different disk. We'll add a backup option that's similar to the one on Mac in the future.

Manfred Ram

Lutz this is an English board. Please contact Skylum support, if English not possible

Lutz hier wird Englisch geschrieben. Bitte ansonsten Skylum support direkt anschreiben.

Please sign in to leave a comment.