New Luminar update is coming soon

Comments

69 comments

Manfred Ram

Bruce, you can open a new catalog but do not import any pictures. Or just one.

I don't think that Skylum will continue to develop 2018.

Comment actions Permalink
    Manfred Ram

Lutz, as far as I know,. they have not mentioned any  reliable date

Lutz, man hat kein verlässliches Datum genannt.

Jerry Hall

@Jack, As one with similar old school experience and a son in new school layered and component based multi vendor based software development I agree it is a brave new world. But architecting, software management, debugging, testing and error free principles have advanced too.  Your analogy to Apple is apt. Skylum’s jump to Windows and DAM was a risky big leap with inevitable unintended side effects.  Staying well back from this “bleeding edge” is wise for a user who just wants to concentrate on their photography and protecting their time and images.  Another old school principle is to bless those who are early adapters of a major new release.  I too am happy to be patient. 

George Knochel

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your observations.  Yes, you do have very good points there, comparing the IT "controlled environment" in which I was a programmer / analyst from 1967 to 1999, and the current Internet environment, with the vast array of hardware and software layers, all hopefully working together, and to the end customer's specific make and model of hardware and operating system.  It's very complicated.

Now, some of the Luminar 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 problems may or may not be caused by the hardware / software differences between the IT department's testing on their equipment, versus the customer's equipment.  Some of it probably is.  We also have seen other similar software being updated, and having some problems on introduction.

So some just fall down harder on new updates than others, it looks like.  

Andrew Hewitt

@Richard

Thanks for taking the time Richard.

"Not just the fact they are promoting a product that's not really working well at the moment, but other factors too."

The product for most users is working very well.  But being specific about the bugs or issues you are having helps the team fix them.  The release that shipped today fixes hundreds of things that people reported.  There are so many possible configurations and hardware options, as well as workflows.  Filing a report helps.

• You're assuming I haven't! I sent a bunch of crash reports and details of what was happening.

"Such as the way they bang on about you only paying once, but 'enjoy' forever. Yet the next year they change the product version number and charge again for it, or even cease development altogether, as they did with the Creative Kit products."

The software purchase you buy can be enjoyed forever. Simply keep your computer on one of the supported operating systems and use a supported camera.  Skylum releases multiple free updates for both performance and features as well as numerous free looks and LUTs for download in the marketplace to give you fresh options.

However, from time to time there are NEW upgrades that add NEW features.  These are offered at a discount to customers and they are an optional purchase.  If you don't want the new features, stay put with the application version you have.  It will continue to work.

As far as the Creative Kit products, yes application all eventually end.  However, those apps all still launch and I use some of them today.  What is it you're missing or unable to do with them?

"I don't have an objection to the buy a product - get a few bug 'updates' for free - pay for an 'upgrade' to the next full version cycle. But that's not what they imply when you buy a product, I'm expecting to buy Aurora, or Luminar, and not have to pay again for as long as I want to use that product - calling it Aurora 2019, or Luminar 2018 and adding a few new features isn't really playing by the rules IMHO. It's certainly not helping with my trust and respect for Skylum."

The product page says "No Subscription, Own and Enjoy" which is fully true.

It also says Luminar 3. Pay Once and Enjoy Forever.  That is also true.  But it is not promising free updates forever and all new features.  It's trying to say that you own the software and can run it for as long as you want.  For example I have an old MacBook Air.  It's frozen at OS 10.7.  It still boots.  It still runs.  But Apple won't let me upgrade it to newer OS because of hardware limitations.    But I still own it, it still works, and my son uses it often.

• That's not a new concept though, all software was bought on that basis for many years. You could nearly always use software until OS updates prevented it (although some did have a time limited license too)

I get the semantics and that this can be misunderstood.  The team is looking to add clarity here.

• That is exactly my point. The rest of it doesn't matter, I appreciate that software requires hours of work, and creative ability, I appreciate it costs. However, I have bought other similar software, for example Topaz plugins, which I paid for many years ago, and have gone through a few upgrades over that time, but I have not had to pay any more to continue using it throughout the upgrade process, but that's what they promised. OTOH, I have bought upgrades for other apps too, iPhoto (when it was charged for), Aperture, Lightroom and Graphic Converter are a few. But they make it clear that 'updates' are included in the purchase prices for a given version, and that 'upgrades' are chargeable.
    • My OS is currently the most up-to-date that Apple provides. My camera is not so up-to-date. 

they also made Luminar 3 a free upgrade to Luminar 2018.

• As they should have done, we were not provided with the product we paid for in the first place - I had already paid for the upgrade from Luminar to Luminar 2018, and did that very much based on the promised new features.
    • I really dislike the use of the term 'free' in the context of 'updates' to software too. They aren't 'free', we paid for them when we bought the software (it's nearly as bad as using 'awesome' too often).

Even if we do get a working DAM eventually, I'm not actually sure I can trust Skylum anymore, how long will it work properly, how long will they continue developing Luminar before abandoning it, or changing to a 'new' different product.

Both Aurora HDR and Luminar have multiple updates planned.  You can also see the Luminar roadmap which ius published here – https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

• The roadmap does not interest me, not when we have seen so many broken promises over the last 18 months, how can I possibly believe any of it, when nothing promised has been delivered for so long now.
    • You may think I'm just whining and whinging, but the truth is I'm frustrated and annoyed that Skylum are simply not learning anything at all from their mistakes. They have products that can be so brilliant in some ways, yet fail so badly in others. I could have requested a refund a long time ago, but I chose not to. Instead I chose to trust that they could deliver the product I'd bought. I have liked so many of the products produced by MacPhun/Skylum for years, and I am happy to see some healthy competition in the Mac software marketplace. I want Skylum to succeed, and I want Luminar to be a great product, and a serious contender in the DAM/Editor marketplace.
    • Skylum are playing the anti-subscription game, and it's pushing the ethics to the limit.
    • To be honest, as an end consumer, the problems of development don't concern me (and as I mentioned elsewhere, Apple do provide quite strict developer guidelines, and Apple hardware is pretty consistent. I expect a product that delivers the features and 'benefits' that were advertised.
    • In all of this, I have learnt one thing for sure, and that's not to buy into a promise.
    • (Apologies for using the bullet points, I couldn't see any other way to separate quoted text here).
    Maryna Skylum

Hi Andy,

You're right, all the improvements are based on our customers' feedback.

If you have any issues with the software, please contact us at support@skylum.com.

We're always happy to help.

Freddie Thompson

Excellent news. One question: Are auto lens corrections in this update? My camera is on the "supported cameras" list but I still have to manually adjust each image. 

Denis Kotsee

Hi everyone, I'll address the questions you posted.

>the feedback from the limited release of 3.0.2 specifically has resulted in this delay?

Yes, we've discovered 4 critical issues that we will address before releasing the update worldwide.

>Are auto lens corrections in this update? My camera is on the "supported cameras" list but I still have to manually adjust each image. 

We have auto lens correction for all supported lenses. If yours doesn't work right, please send a sample to the support team here: http://skylum.com/support

>So, are you saying that people in the early-rollout markets will actually get 2 updates?

>So what about those of us who got the early release? Will this updated update overwrite 3.0.2 that is currently the latest on my Mac?

Yes, those who have already received 3.0.2 will get another 3.0.2 that will self-install just like any other regular update.

>I sure hope this update will correct the problem some of us are still having with the database failed to open error. 

We discovered that this issue is caused by an apostrophe in the path to the catalog. This will be fixed in 3.0.2. You can actually make your 3.0.1 work as well, get in touch with the support team for a detailed list of steps.

Andy H

Thank you for the response Denis, good to hear that the limited release of 3.0.2 has served its purpose and highlighted issues prior to wider release. Finally some direct answers rather than generics.

Christopher Barkey

Hey there! :)

I am completely new to Luminar. Using it for less than two days now but I am excited. Sure, there are many problems, but (!!!) as far as I know Skylum made major changes to their software (DAM, which seems to make the most problems) and it is totally understandable, that there are problems.

One problem I had was, that randomly my monitors started flickering and then Luminar closed. Seems like something went wrong with the graphics. I am using a Nvidia 850m, so I went to the Nvidia-Settings and told that Luminar should ALWAYS use Nvidia instead of integrated graphics and since then I got a performance boost (okay, a little exaggerated) and the flickering was gone. I guess it was because of the "choose graphics automated" function and Luminar got killed when the system switched from dedicated to integrated (or the other way round) graphics.

Later I got the idea to check windows logs and I got prove, that my idea was right. The log clearly showed errors with the Nvidia OpenGL Driver which occured ocassionally. Together with an application error of Lumiar stating out, that nvoglv64.dll is faulty.

Maybe worth a try for some of you.

Long speech …

Please, everyone, be patient. Skylum seems to be very eager to fix the bugs. As a developer, I know that this doesn't happen overnight and that things take time. Moaning customers unfortunately don't help! :D

Hope you all had a nice valentines day! Good night.

Chris

Christopher Barkey

@Kim Austin
    Maybe I'm too optimistic, but apparently Skylum did a lot right with the 2018 version. I am confident that Luminar3 will be all right.

Christopher Barkey

@Kim Austin
    It was not meant to be condescending, but this complaining about Luminar3 runs through all SocialMedia channels and that partly on a very low and undifferentiated level. You're right, I only have a very small view of the situation at the moment, maybe I shouldn't have presumed to judge "naggers". Sorry if anyone felt offended.

Christopher Barkey

Well, guess I had a good start into the community!? I know, my fault. Sorry again! :)

Christopher Barkey

I'll do my best by bugging the devs to make this software good on Windows. Even though I am disappointed that they ported it for Win and not for Linux, which is the OS of my choice. But when I switched to Affinity Designer and Photo, I had to go the dual boot way.^^ I used to work with RawTherapee and LightZone on Linux but when I tried Luminar3 it blew my mind. I got new inspiration and editing pictures makes fun again. As long as the devs fix major bugs in near future I can live with them for now.

Leila Evans

Hi everyone and sorry for the delay in reply.

@Colin Grant - Your backup file can be stored on an external drive, or wherever else you want it to be stored. This applies to backup files that you created yourself, not automatic ones. 

@Ken Korman - You can move your Luminar catalog. The only thing you need is to point Luminar out where your catalog currently is.

@Leon Backland - All the photographers from Canada, Austria, and Australia will receive a fixed version then. Our apologies. 

@Christopher Barkey - Thank you for your support and welcome to the Skylum community! Hope you won't be disappointed.

Christopher Barkey

@Ralf Wangemann
    Well, theory and practice unfortunately look totally different in reality. A company can develop, test and publish software with a clear conscience and then the disaster comes and for many it doesn't work. The systems of the users are SO different, something certainly goes wrong. Apparently the product is still relatively new on Windows systems. Sure, this can be tough for for devs as there is missing experience, so Skylum can definitely be accused of having sold the product as a final. Maybe they should have thought about an early access phase, but I am not sure with that as the software isn't in THAT bad shape.

I can see both sides. Devs and Users. As I get over-protective when there are many against few it can happen that I'm a little blinded and enthusiastic and jump into the breach for the developers. :P

I am sure both, Users and Devs, want the software to great.

Andrew Hewitt

I agree with you there Colin, that was also something that was crossing my mind. I'm not a developer, but I am aware that Apple has very strict developer rules, and there are basic standards in place for programming. Hardware is all known, unlike a Windows machine that can vary wildly, they use specific parts in a given machine, and they only vary according to known limits of 'build to order' options.

This is actually some of the least stable software I have ever come across (in 35 years of using computers).

However, I would also like to make it clear that I am with others in this thread, in that I have enjoyed MacPhun, and now Skylum software for many years, I like what Luminar can do with regards to editing. My criticisms are meant as feedback, as I really want them to be successful and produce better products that we can use, enjoy, and that stands up well with their competitors

Anastasia Davis

@Colin
    Yes, you can export your backup to your external drive and then restore it from there. Luminar 3 will work just fine.

Andrew Hewitt

@Colin, their marketing tactics are also one of my doubts about them as a company too.

Not just the fact they are promoting a product that's not really working well at the moment, but other factors too. Such as the way they bang on about you only paying once, but 'enjoy' forever. Yet the next year they change the product version number and charge again for it, or even cease development altogether, as they did with the Creative Kit products.

I don't have an objection to the buy a product - get a few bug 'updates' for free - pay for an 'upgrade' to the next full version cycle. But that's not what they imply when you buy a product, I'm expecting to buy Aurora, or Luminar, and not have to pay again for as long as I want to use that product - calling it Aurora 2019, or Luminar 2018 and adding a few new features isn't really playing by the rules IMHO. It's certainly not helping with my trust and respect for Skylum.

As I say, it not *what* they're doing here that bothers me, it *how* they're doing it.

When I look at everything in the cold light of day, the Adobe CC subscription plan for Lightroom Classic, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC, BeHance and Portfolio (and a few other things too) is actually pretty good value. And at least you *know* that you'll be paying for the software and services, and why, and how much, and for stable products that get updated regularly and have reliable continuity since they were released from v1.0, with no promises of features or products that they haven't delivered on (as far as I can remember).

Even if we do get a working DAM eventually, I'm not actually sure I can trust Skylum anymore, how long will it work properly, how long will they continue developing Luminar before abandoning it, or changing to a 'new' different product.

Andy H

@Andrew. Good points. I’ve never agreed with the buy once enjoy it forever rationale either. ON1 do it too. Technically it’s true, but it assumes that the version you have remains compatible as operating systems evolve. Then the marketing team go into overdrive to tempt you to upgrade with new features. It would be interesting to know the the percentage of user base that upgrade to the latest and greatest (or latest and most problematic in the case of Luminar!)

Colin Grant

@Andrew @Andy, I gave up trusting Skylum when they became Skylum really. Buy once and use for ever is misleading and then we get all the buy for $40 worth $150 sort of thing, complete with freebies that are no more than free trials (SmugMug for instance).  When did their stuff ever sell at those higher prices?

It all stems from the "we hate the Adobe subscription camp" and as you say Andrew the Adobe subscription offers excellent value for money. People just do not understand it, do not want to understand it or really believe you can get something for nothing (remember CK I say). There is all this stuff about losing your data should you leave the Adobe plan. Well when you leave you know what will happen and it can be easily managed. Cannot see that security of data has been or is a Skylum prerequisite.

I have been on Lr since V1 and I cannot see me leaving it behind and trusting Skylum with my data. Luminar is a plugin and that is all it will ever be. Have to admit that I played with ON1 2019.2 yesterday and was impressed. It is miles ahead of Luminar in just about everything but that is also subscription by stealth irrespective of how they sell it - the upgrades, ON Plus etc. At least Adobe is honest about the subscription and gives shed loads of quality free training that does not it seems rely on Ambassadors or Associates, which is certainly a huge failing that Skylum have.

Andy H

I don’t have a problem with Adobe’s subscription model, or any other payment model come to think of it. As long as I’m getting value for money and a product that works. I haven’t ruled out returning to Adobe, but want to try something different. That different for me was either Luminar 3 or ON1 (having also tried Capture One and DxO). ON1 is without a doubt the best option of the two, it comprehensively out performs Luminar in almost every way. Considering Photo RAW and Luminar were released around the same time in 2016, where we stand now shows what ON1 are doing right and Skylum are doing wrong.

Anastasia Davis

@Colin Answering your question, yes. Luminar will work with that backup catalog as before.

Colin Grant

Thank you @Anastasia, that means the bug that has been reported has been fixed then, or at least will be fixed in 3.0.2?

Bruce Cole

Will there be the option of just having a standalone photo editor? I bought Luminar 2018 for exactly that purpose and I use it everyday as such. I don't want the DAM. Luminar 3 has been a complete joke so far. Please tell me that if you're not going to support/update Luminar 2018, that you will give the option of not having to use the DAM features of Luminar 3?

Vereslavska Anna Veres

@Colin, in 3.0.2 will be added the feature to locate all the missing folders and it will allow you to restore your Catalog in a full way. 

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi @Bruce, 

As Manfred has mentioned you can have the Catalog without pictures and import the photo to edit it via File > Open Images for Quick edits. 

Bruce Cole

Never really got as far as using Luminar 3 Anna. You give up after 5 hours of waiting for it to load! I've been using Luminar 2018 since then, but I do have something that I will share with you that may be of use to your developers.

On Friday I installed a new SSD drive for my PC (I upgraded nothing else). Even Luminar 2018 had it's limitations, normally it would only let me edit around 5 to 6 RAW files before crashing. Since the install of my new SSD... that has not happened. I managed to edit 32 RAW files in a row without it crashing. Luminar and Win 10 are both installed on the SSD if that helps.

I will not be touching Luminar 3 until I hear it's working okay, in any event I will not be using the DAM features, but thanks for the tip.

Lutz Lange

Gibt es denn verlässliches Datum für das Update 3.0.2 ??

Lutz

Lutz Lange

Danke für die schnelle Antwort. Ich hatte gestern hier im Forum vom 19. Februar gelesen. Allerdings finde ich den Post nicht mehr.

Lutz

Please sign in to leave a comment.