New Luminar update is coming soon

Comments

69 comments

Andy H

Thanks for the update Alex.  I have to say this is long overdue, but it's appreciated. Can you confirm that the critical issues you refer to were identified from feedback on the limited release of the 3.0.2 update? 3.0.2 has done absolutely nothing to solve my issues (15+ minute load times, general slow performance and instability on the Mac).  I don't mind you taking more time, but you need to get this right to restore confidence. 

I also suggest you make sure that everyone at Skylum is on the same page.  Earlier today Maryna responded to a thread on this community stating that the delayed release would happen this week.  Now you're saying next week? This is a great example of why trust and credibility in your company and  product is being eroded.

Maryna Skylum

Hi Andy,

You're right, all the improvements are based on our customers' feedback.

If you have any issues with the software, please contact us at support@skylum.com.

We're always happy to help.

Andy H

So, the feedback from the limited release of 3.0.2 specifically has resulted in this delay?

Freddie Thompson

Excellent news. One question: Are auto lens corrections in this update? My camera is on the "supported cameras" list but I still have to manually adjust each image. 

Adam Dale

I really hope it fixes my performance problems. I like Luminar and it will be my go-to editing software but it's so sluggish it's unusable. I'm not being a drama Queen here. I'm using it with a fast Mac but it is so slow!! Come on, guys!!

Lloyd O'Daniel

So, are you saying that people in the early-rollout markets will actually get 2 updates? I ask this because I "cheated" with my VPN and got the 3.02 update from Canada a couple of days ago. FWIW, on my Macbook Pro the update went smoothly. 3.02 found my existing catalog (images on Drobo) and updated very quickly. Thumb generation and scrolling seems much faster. I haven't had a chance to do any heavy edits with it yet. But, so far, good job! I assume I should update again next week.

Lloyd

Kim Austin

So what about those of us who got the early release? Will this updated update overwrite 3.0.2 that is currently the latest on my Mac?

John Barnett

I sure hope this update will correct the problem some of us are still having with the database failed to open error. Have tried all the suggestions from support and these forums. It would be nice to see how Luminar 3 really works!

Tomasz Gomolka

I hope it will fix the performance problems and crashes during RAW images browsing.... I really like the tool and I switched from Adobe but the recent instabilities are really annoying...

Denis Kotsee

Hi everyone, I'll address the questions you posted.

>the feedback from the limited release of 3.0.2 specifically has resulted in this delay?

Yes, we've discovered 4 critical issues that we will address before releasing the update worldwide.

>Are auto lens corrections in this update? My camera is on the "supported cameras" list but I still have to manually adjust each image. 

We have auto lens correction for all supported lenses. If yours doesn't work right, please send a sample to the support team here: http://skylum.com/support

>So, are you saying that people in the early-rollout markets will actually get 2 updates?

>So what about those of us who got the early release? Will this updated update overwrite 3.0.2 that is currently the latest on my Mac?

Yes, those who have already received 3.0.2 will get another 3.0.2 that will self-install just like any other regular update.

>I sure hope this update will correct the problem some of us are still having with the database failed to open error. 

We discovered that this issue is caused by an apostrophe in the path to the catalog. This will be fixed in 3.0.2. You can actually make your 3.0.1 work as well, get in touch with the support team for a detailed list of steps.

Andy H

Thank you for the response Denis, good to hear that the limited release of 3.0.2 has served its purpose and highlighted issues prior to wider release. Finally some direct answers rather than generics.

Colin Grant

Still no answer to the back up and restore to a different disk (in the event of a disc failure for instance), although I do to think this was raised in this thread. Has this been fixed Denis please?

Denis Kotsee

On Mac you can use File > Catalog > Backup to create a backup in a location of your choice.

On Windows backups are created automatically in Luminar Catalog folder. You can manually move the backup files to a different disk. We'll add a backup option that's similar to the one on Mac in the future.

Colin Grant

@Denis, the problem is that any back-up can only be restored to the disc from which the back-up originated. Therefore if that disc suffers a hardware fault and has to be replaced it is not possible to restore the back-up and have a working catalogue in L3.

Ken Korman

Denis, is it possible to restore or move the catalog to another location without loosing edits?

Colin Grant

Why will nobody answer this? I know it can be restored to wherever you like but understand L3 will only run with the restored catalogue if it is restored to the original drive.

Andy H

@Colin.  They've got to wait for the Canadian and Australian beta-testers (the advanced free troubleshooting team, otherwise known as guinea pigs) to find the answer for them, then they'll let you know what their answer is. Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Colin Grant

Does seem rather like that, Mike. It only makes one believe that this is a real issue and there is a report on here somewhere where a user experienced just that problem. I guess they will not admit it because:

a) they don't know how to fix it

b) nobody will risk using the software if it has such a critical bug.

c) and/or Andy is right

Garry Stewart

The recent update 3.0.2 on Mac was quite disappointing as it rendered Luminar 3 unusable because it hung every time it started. The support answer was a full reinstall including losing the catalog and all photo edits. This has greatly shaken my confidence in the product. Thankfully, I didn't have any critical work in Luminar. I've been a Lightroom user for many years and gone through all the updated without ever losing my catalog and photo edits. Since you seem to be gunning to become the LR replacement you really can't afford a misstep like this again.

I like the product but I'll be very cautious for some time now before committing to using it full time.

Wishing you well in the future updates.

Leon Backland

Alex Tsepko / Maryna Skylum,

Australia and Canada were the fortunate(?) early recipients of Luminar 3.0.2, which continues to exhibit many of the issues raised in Luminar 3 Windows community message boards.

When Luminar 3 is fixed again and released to the rest of the world next week (presumably no later than Friday 22 Feb 2019), will it be version 3.0.3?

In another L3 Windows post, Skylum spokesperson Dmytro B. said Luminar 3.0.2 will be released next week! So what version will Australia and Canada, who already have buggy Luminar 3.0.2, receive?

// Confused in Canada

Christopher Barkey

Hey there! :)

I am completely new to Luminar. Using it for less than two days now but I am excited. Sure, there are many problems, but (!!!) as far as I know Skylum made major changes to their software (DAM, which seems to make the most problems) and it is totally understandable, that there are problems.

One problem I had was, that randomly my monitors started flickering and then Luminar closed. Seems like something went wrong with the graphics. I am using a Nvidia 850m, so I went to the Nvidia-Settings and told that Luminar should ALWAYS use Nvidia instead of integrated graphics and since then I got a performance boost (okay, a little exaggerated) and the flickering was gone. I guess it was because of the "choose graphics automated" function and Luminar got killed when the system switched from dedicated to integrated (or the other way round) graphics.

Later I got the idea to check windows logs and I got prove, that my idea was right. The log clearly showed errors with the Nvidia OpenGL Driver which occured ocassionally. Together with an application error of Lumiar stating out, that nvoglv64.dll is faulty.

Maybe worth a try for some of you.

Long speech …

Please, everyone, be patient. Skylum seems to be very eager to fix the bugs. As a developer, I know that this doesn't happen overnight and that things take time. Moaning customers unfortunately don't help! :D

Hope you all had a nice valentines day! Good night.

Chris

Kim Austin

@Christopher Barkey
    Being new to Luminar, I don't think you are aware of the years of this happening. People have been very patient.  I was one of the "fortunate" people in Australia to receive the infamous update (3.0.2) and the software has become less usable since.  I've gone back to 2018. 

Christopher Barkey

@Kim Austin
    Maybe I'm too optimistic, but apparently Skylum did a lot right with the 2018 version. I am confident that Luminar3 will be all right.

Kim Austin

@Christopher Barkey. Depends who you talk to. We have stuck with Skylum as many of us were MacPhun customers years before they decided to release to Windows. "Moaning customers unfortunately don't help! " is a little condescending, when you're new, and don't know the background.  I'm hopeful they get it right as well, otherwise like so many others, I would have asked for a refund.

Christopher Barkey

@Kim Austin
    It was not meant to be condescending, but this complaining about Luminar3 runs through all SocialMedia channels and that partly on a very low and undifferentiated level. You're right, I only have a very small view of the situation at the moment, maybe I shouldn't have presumed to judge "naggers". Sorry if anyone felt offended.

Andy H

Nicely said Kim. I’ve been on the Luminar journey since the start and have witnessed countless failures by Skylum to deliver what they promise. In 2016 they promised a Lightroom alternative and in 2019 we’re not even close. Many of us have given Skylum hundreds of dollars over the years and not yet seen the product they promised. Sorry Christopher we have earned the right to hold Skylum accountable, or as you would call it “moaning”.

Christopher Barkey

Well, guess I had a good start into the community!? I know, my fault. Sorry again! :)

Andy H

No problem Christopher, I’m sure I’ve written a few things that have annoyed people! Welcome aboard, another voice to the “holding Skylum accountable” club is a good thing :) I’m sure you can now appreciate the very valid frustration many of us have.

Christopher Barkey

I'll do my best by bugging the devs to make this software good on Windows. Even though I am disappointed that they ported it for Win and not for Linux, which is the OS of my choice. But when I switched to Affinity Designer and Photo, I had to go the dual boot way.^^ I used to work with RawTherapee and LightZone on Linux but when I tried Luminar3 it blew my mind. I got new inspiration and editing pictures makes fun again. As long as the devs fix major bugs in near future I can live with them for now.

Leila Evans

Hi everyone and sorry for the delay in reply.

@Colin Grant - Your backup file can be stored on an external drive, or wherever else you want it to be stored. This applies to backup files that you created yourself, not automatic ones. 

@Ken Korman - You can move your Luminar catalog. The only thing you need is to point Luminar out where your catalog currently is.

@Leon Backland - All the photographers from Canada, Austria, and Australia will receive a fixed version then. Our apologies. 

@Christopher Barkey - Thank you for your support and welcome to the Skylum community! Hope you won't be disappointed.

Please sign in to leave a comment.