It's no longer Early February

Comments

33 comments

Colin Grant

Ummmm - they have said within the next four days. Selective releases certainly do not make sense unless they announce they are going to do it and why.

Comment actions Permalink
    Colin Grant

Umm....they have said within the next four days. It certainly does not make sense to do selective releases unless you announce that fact and the reason why. Agree it is now mid rather than early Feb but when did Skylum ever deliver on time or indeed what they promise?

Andy H

As some of you know from other threads, I've had the 3.0.2 release in Canada since last week......and it's done absolutely nothing to resolve the issues I've been having.

Phil Hurd

Seems as if they did a selective release and as soon as there were problems, they have gone back to fix it (again!). I think I'd rather wait until its working properly.

Colin Grant

I agree. But once again they do things in an underhand way, miss their own target and turn out more rubbish apparently. This is getting worse.

Phil Hurd

I'm not sure they are underhand more like naive or maybe incompetent. They would have been better releasing a Public Beta, I volunteered over a year ago but they weren't interested. I guess that would mean that they would have to put back their release dates though.

They need to stop promising the earth and get back to basics i.e. releasing a reliable product. My own view (FWIW) is that it all went downhill when they moved away from their traditional base of a MAC software house and started dabbling in Windows.

I think they need to fix the immediate issues and then wait until they have a stable product before advertising any new release dates, maybe a pre-release version to those users who will support them in their efforts. I still believe this thing is going to be good (for my uses anyway) but I am starting to get a bit hacked off by it all.

Colin Grant

Maybe they should do as ON1, give early adopters access to the pre-release beta as a matter of course.

Andy H

@Phil. I agree that the move away from a Mac only product might have stretched them too much and lead to the issues we’re seeing where neither platform has solid reliability. I also feel they spent way too much time focussing on AI filters that are only marginally useful and lost sight of the basics - like solid reliability, a good DAM, better masking tools, faster RAW rendering (the list goes on....)

Frank Fiorentino

Naive hardly describes the situation.  When history continues to repeat itself (2+ years now), the situation screams a high degree of incompetence.  All the talk about how much they care about their customers and blah, blah, blah.  There must be a few folks making good money off of this venture because clearly they are not investing in people to get the job done.  It really feels like a money grab.

Colin Grant

It would be really nice if Skylum would come out with a decent plan and operating profile for the future. As I said, something along the lines of ON1 might be the way to go with early adopters automatically qualifying for a chance to get at the pre-release beta. Such a procedure would at least give them some pre-release testing and it would also add value to the early adoption package. I also agree with Andy, forget all this AI stuff, it is of limited use really, and make the app fully functional with decent masking etc. We don't need gimmicks and Skylum should not rely on such to make sales. Go for quality - they have a nice interface and a nice editing workflow that can give excellent results. Build on that.

Andy H

I think Skylum do not really understand their customers. For a long time now they've been pushing the "great photos in less time" mantra, and given us dubious one slider does it all adjustments that have clearly taken much of their development time at the expense of a solid, reliable, professional product. I don't want the "red easy button" approach to editing, I enjoy crafting my images and while doing so remembering the experience I had when I took the photo.  I don't want to spend 30 seconds and two AI sliders on a photo to have it look like an over-saturated, fake sky looking mess (which is pretty much what the AI sliders do in my opinion).

Phil Hurd

That's my worry too Andy. Their Photolemur product is testament to that!

Colin Grant

Good point. Then perhaps Skylum should tell us exactly who they are aiming their product at. No harm in a couple of AI sliders for some but don't cripple the usability of the software by dumbing down the more advanced controls in favour of the AI stuff. I never realised Photolemur was totally Skylum?

Phil Hurd

If Luminar goes the way of Photolemur Colin, I might as well shoot JPEG, let the camera do the work and save some money!

Colin Grant

We agree yet again, Phil :-). What's more the camera will do better than AI probably.

Phil Hurd

Yep, boring isn't it. I'm going to have to find some Aussies to wind up, especially as they were crowing that they had 3.0.2 before anyone else. You're just no fun anymore . . . . :-)

Andy H

@Colin, @Phil. Totally agree with you guys. I had Photolemur installed for all of 30 mins then got rid of it. There must be a market for it somewhere.

The 3.0.2 update is nothing to crow about, it’s done absolutely nothing for me!

Colin Grant

Awe! I am sure there will be something to debate once 3.0.2 or beyond comes along. They are bound to do something that we have differing views on.

Incidentally, how are you finding Flickr these days? I can't put my finger on it but it really seems to have lost something.

Colin Grant

That's my other concern, Andy. An update that does nothing. Was going to try to get it via VPN but don't really know how! And I question if it is really worth the effort as presumably the UK version will have a few bug fixes (that is it fixes the bugs they created in the update).

Phil Hurd

I've given up on Flickr. I couldn't access it for ages due to a clash between my BT account (run by Yahoo) and my Yahoo account. I have to say that as soon as Smug Mug came along, they sorted it. But I got used to not using it and then when they decided to limit the number of images, I though why bother. I think quite a few useerrs are leving the sinking ship.

Colin Grant

I have a free 500px account. The image quality/standard seems much higher than Flickr. Might just be presentational but it works for me :-)

Phil Hurd

I've got a 500px account also. Just started using it properly.

Did you see the email from Alex Tsepko? Not before time I have to say. He needs to do this before it all goes tits up, in my opinion. It seems to me that they promise delivery of updates before they know they can do the work or test it properly.

Andy H

I think I said all I needed to say in my response to his message. They still haven't confirmed if the delays for the wider release of the next update is specifically due to feedback received from the limited release of 3.0.2 (I provided mine).  I hope they're going to say yes and that the update next week will be different. Otherwise it's another month of waiting for the next update and a tonne more disappointed people. 

Phil Hurd

The statement in the Alex Tsepko letter - "our team discovered some critical issues" is a tad disingenuous. I think there should have been some acknowledgement and an apology to those users who found the issues in the first place.

Guy Meacham

"our team discovered some critical issues"

Translation: "Our Canadian and Australian customers discovered some critical issues for us". 

It would seem that Canadians & Australians are now the designated beta testers!

Phil Hurd

Lab rats!!!

Colin Grant

@Phil, never saw an email from AT but saw his post on here, to which I responded.

Phil Hurd

Here you are then Colin . . . .

Phil Hurd

Colin, "We have more Luminar, Aurora HDR, and Photolemur updates scheduled for spring", that'll be Spring 2020, will it?

Colin Grant

Thanks Phil. Just dug around and it was in my junk folder for some reason. New version eh! Just hope that this sorts the base release of Luminar 3 :-).

Please sign in to leave a comment.