I don't want to use Libraries!

Comments

6 comments

Vance Zachary

The only way to functionally disable Libraries is by accessing Luminar 3 by a plugin. The other way to work around Libraries and use the folder structure built in to your operating system is to open images in quick edit rather than importing them into the Library and then save or export the files after post as you did before with L2018. That way you just ignore the Library feature. Just do all your post in Quick Edit.

Comment actions Permalink
    Merle Becker

@ Vance Zachary  L3 Library,

Thank you for offering that suggestion.  If I may, few followup question to you since I am having trouble with my folders appearing in both the Library & Editing Panels.  I advised support but now response to date.  I see some photos as per indicted in their folder but other spots are just black empty boxes with a white triangle in the upper left corner with an Explanation (!) point in it.

If you use your recommendation as a work around to you have full editing options in the Quick Edit?

Once done w/processing can you Export to File as a TIFF or JPEG for printing purposes?

And if you Save the edited file can you chose it's location folder and will it be in the Lmr. format as in 2918.

If you delete either the Lmr file or the JPEG for some reason will that delete the original in you Explorer or External Drive folder?

Hey Sorry are you with Skylum Support?  Tks much  Merle Becker

Vance Zachary

Sorry you are having these problems. I am not with Skylum support. Just trying to help a fellow user.

I am not sure why you are having problems with your folders in Luminar. I do occasionally play around with Libraries out of curiosity but I access Luminar via Lightroom to process my photography.

But it might be best to work around Libraries if you don't need it. If you use Quick Edit, you can edit your images and then save them or export them just like L2018 instead of importing them into the Libraries and then your workflow is just like it was with 2018, i.e. simplified.

Merle Becker

@ Vance - so sorry partner.  I have seen your name a few times and then your response on this issue so just jumped in.  Glad that I did.  Tremendous help with your suggestion.  I am not a techie and all of the multiple work a rounds that I see here is just mind boggling.  Kinda old school, If broken fix it.  If it's OK make it better and if it is good then Duplicate it and make it a model.  That was my motto I taught my employees.  Here I see to much, "work a round."

I am going to try a few times with the libraries and then with your suggestion or probably ON 1 that has that approach as a model.  Tks Much.

Helena Carter

Hi Vance - thanks for your help, you're completely right, that's how you can use Luminar 3 without Libraries. 

Hi Brian and Merle,

You can remove your Luminar 3 Catalog and work with Qiuck Edits only like Vance has explained to you. You can export photos from Quick Edits in the same formats you could in Luminar 2018. There are no differences in Edit modules when you open the photos for Quick Edits.

We plan updates for Luminar 2018, but currently, there's no ETA for it yet. If we make an update for Luminar 2018, we'll just add some new cameras since currently we're devoted to improving Luminar 3. We will keep you posted.

As to the saving History, we’ll add the ability to save project files later but at the moment I don’t have a timeline for that.

A workaround to recall settings you used for a project would be as follows:

1. Open a photo in L3.
    2. Edit it.
    3. In the Edit panel on the right click Save Luminar Look.
    4. Enter a descriptive name.

This won’t save layers but your filter settings will be saved. As a bonus, you’ll be able to instantly apply the settings you used for a certain project to other projects.

If you need to re-edit a photo, load an unedited copy of it in Luminar and apply the look you saved in Step 4 to it (the look will be located in the User Looks category). You'll get the exact same filters and settings that you used for this project before.

Best regards

Diana Spitzley

I have just discovered this thread and found it really useful as I also do not need to use the Library as already use Adobe Bridge.  I just want to keep things as simple as possible!  Am enjoying using Luminar for editing.

Please sign in to leave a comment.