Updated Luminar to version 3.0.2 and lost all my edits and ratings

Comments

35 comments

Chris Maltese

@Bruce - Exact condition here.

Comment actions Permalink
    Marcus Brändle

Exactly same happened to me. Can't believe that a photo DAM would just completely rebuild a catalog forgetting all edits without any warning! Completely depressed as I hoped 3.0.2 would finally fix the ugly stability and performance problems I have...

Bruce Tracy

I was able to restore both the application (to previous version) and catalog from last nights Time Machine backup. In order for this to work, I had to restore the entire Luminar Catalog folder (catalog, db, history folder). I had a few little quirks with this, but I have recovered my edits and ratings.

I will not update to the new version of Luminar until I get a response from Skylum indicating a fix for this issue.

Also noticed there is no way to turn off the backup option within the new version of Luminar and it seems to be creating a bunch of files that are of no use since you can't restore because it won't let you select a backup file (all greyed out). If this option works for you, you better have a lot of disk available because in the short time I was trying to use this and test things out, this option created hundreds of files in sub folders of the backup folder.

Chris Maltese

I removed the entire program and downloaded an install file of the latest version. That fixed the issue, but I lost my edits. That’s my fault for doing a clean install without a backup. 

Ive never had to goof around with a production program as much as this on a Mac. I really want to see L3 fully realized, but not as a paying beta tester. I hope Skylum can get this all sorted. 

With other viable, albeit expensive alternatives, life is too short to add extra stress to an enjoyable pastime.

Bruce Tracy

This gives me something to work on, and if what I do helps resolve issues and makes for a better experience for all users, then I'm all for it.

I'm trying to figure out how to have both 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 installed at the same time just to see if I can copy and paste edits from one version to the other. Probably seems silly to some, but Luminar 3 is my go to editor right now - even with all its quirks!

Richard Huggins

This is not a new problem. Something very similar happened after the soft launch.

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360041250132-Update-3-0-2-trashed-all-my-edits

Happened again with the updated version.

Like a slow motion train wreck.

Bruce Tracy

Yeah, tried that the second time around (after I restored from Time Machine) and I am unable to select a catalog from the "restore from backup" option - they are all greyed out, so that does not resolve the problem.

I just did a clean install of 3.0.2, created a new catalog, added an image folder, edited a couple of images, then quit Luminar. Re-opened Luminar 3.0.2 and got the "updating image catalog" message. When the message cleared, my image folder showed zero images and I had a black screen showing no images in the catalog. Quit and re-opened and got the "updating image catalog" message again, this time actually updating. The image counts returned but the edits and ratings are gone.

So even a fresh install has the same problem as updating.

Bruce Tracy

Just clarified my previous reply, and yes, I have administrator permissions on my Mac with full permissions on all files. Will send/file with support tomorrow as I'm done for the day.

Bruce Tracy

I just want to say, that I really want to see Luminar become a successful piece of software. Even with all the DAM problems (hehe), I think that the adjustments that can be made in Luminar are hands down more significant that what can be done in Lightroom. Luminar 3 version 3.0.1 is my editing platform of choice. I have had and used On1, and removed it. It didn't offer any thing more than Lightroom (that may have changed by now). When the DAM version of Luminar came out, I made the switch from Lightroom even though Luminar didn't offer everything that Lightroom could do from an asset management perspective. It does most of what I need and I like the direction (for the most part) that Luminar is taking.

While I understand the reasoning behind the backup that has been added, what I don't understand is the limited options for the backup. Having a backup at 5m, 20m, 1hour, or once per session as the only options seems rather limited and perhaps forceful upon the user community. Where is the option to turn this off?? Where is the option to specify manually??? I already have backups in place that put copies of everything in four different locations, and Time Machine runs every hour. I don't need another backup!!

And the restore????? The only restore that works is on startup of Luminar when holding down the option key. This brings up a dialog window that allows you to select a file to restore from - which works. Then there is the option found at File>Catalog>Restore from backup that takes you to a finder window which doesn't allow you to select anything (all files are greyed out). Why doesn't this option open the dialog window that does work??? I don't understand the inconsistency here.

I have been a software developer for many years and have managed an IT department with developers and support staff. I know that if you want to keep your customers, and gain more customers, you address the problems first, then work on their requests for improvements before adding new features that the developers think are necessary. Adding a backup feature would have been very low on the priority scale since most users already have backup solutions in place. Adding this feature and forcing users to have to use it was a bad plan (which has cost even more users leaving the platform). There are many other features that should take priority over this, like for example keywording and meta data editing.

Personally, and I think others would agree, I think all development efforts should be going into adding features to the DAM that make it 1-a full featured DAM, 2-competitive in the DAM features as compared to Lightroom for example. We don't need more AI features (although they are cool), we don't need more redundancies that we already have. What we need are the things we don't have that make the DAM what it should be - keywords, meta data editing, etc...

Please refocus your efforts and reprioritize your development staff. We have waited so long for the DAM only to have a limited and crippled version. Our patience is wearing thin. 

Even so, I am here, willing, and able to do testing - because I want to see this software succeed.

Also, it would be a good idea to have a select group of us users do some testing before releasing an update to the community. Perhaps you already have this. If so, maybe it is not broad enough to catch the major issues that people are seeing. Having a broader testing group could allow you to get ahead of the problems before the problems overwhelm the support staff and cause even more users to leave the platform.

Just a few of my thoughts on what is happening.

Richard Harrington

Are you on Mac or Windows?

Richard Huggins

2017 Macbook Pro.

Bruce Tracy

I'm on a 2014 Mac Mini.

Bruce Tracy

I was able to install both 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 and have them open their own catalogs. In doing so, found that you cannot copy adjustments in 3.0.1 and then switch over to 3.0.2 and paste the adjustments. It just simply does not work.

Richard Harrington

You can choose File > Restore from Backup to reload the catalog.

DO NOT re-add a folder to the library, rather right-click on missing items and choose Locate

Richard Harrington

Please file with support.  Make sure also that you have full permissions to write the catalog on the drive you've targeted.

Richard Huggins

@Richard Harrington. Back up files are all greyed out. (Have to go to Catalogue menu   first. Do you have a different version to us?) I can restore by holding the option key when starting Luminar. Unfortunately this only accesses back ups since the first crash (and not the six weeks of edits in 3.0.1 before that).

Bruce Tracy

Here’s a recap of the process I’ve gone through, which has been sent to support.

1. Opened Luminar 3.0.1, update available. Selected download and install.

2. Relaunched Luminar now version 3.0.2. Everything looks good. Photos are showing, image counts on folders are correct. Ratings are showing. Did not check to see if edits were good (more on this later as it turns out they were not)

3. Closed Luminar.

4. After some time, opened Luminar. Got a “updating image catalog” message that never changed from 0%. After a bit, this message cleared and the file counts on the image folders was zero - all folders - zero. The screen was black and showed no photos available.

5. Closed Luminar. Reopened Luminar. Got the “updating image catalog” message again this time changing from 0% to 100%. As this update was occurring, the image counts on the folders was updating and showing available images. Once the updating image catalog was complete, all images were available again, but ratings and edits were gone.

6. Tried the File > Catalog > Restore from backup option, unable to select a catalog from the "restore from backup" option - they are all greyed out, so that option is useless.

7. I just did a clean install of 3.0.2. 

8. created a new catalog.

9. added my image folders

10. edited a couple of images, then quit Luminar. 

11. Re-opened Luminar 3.0.2 and got the "updating image catalog" message. When the message cleared, my image folders showed zero images and I had a black screen showing no images in the catalog. 

12. Quit and re-opened and got the "updating image catalog" message again, this time actually updating. The image counts returned but the edits and ratings are gone

13. Restored application to version 3.0.1 and catalog folder from Time Machine backup

14. Tried update again. Same thing happened (steps 1 through 5).

15. At this point I tried to edit an image by adding some adjustments.

16. Quit and Reopened Luminar (version 3.0.2). Ratings were there. Edits of the image showed the adjustments but at their default settings. So edits were gone. Editing photos works until you exit the application. When you reopen the application the edits are gone.

17. Restored application to version 3.0.1 and catalog folder from Time Machine backup

18. Moved application to a subfolder, and renamed the default catalog folder.

19. Did a fresh install of Luminar version 3.0.2 and created a new catalog.

20. Opened both versions of Luminar.

21. Selected an edited image in version 3.0.1 and copied the adjustments.

22. Selected the same image in version 3.0.2 and pasted the adjustments. Nothing happened. The image adjustments are not there.

23. Closed both versions of Luminar.

24. Reopened version 3.0.2 and steps 11 and 12 occurred again.

25. Uninstalled version 3.0.2 and deleted the catalog.

26. Moved version 3.0.1 back to applications folder and renamed the catalog folder to the default.

27. Restored the catalog folder from Time Machine backup just to be sure things were good.

My conclusions after the above:

So updating and doing a fresh install exhibit the same problems. Adjustments between versions do not seem to be compatible. Adjustments within the new version do not save. Each open of the new version seems to think the catalog is corrupt or needs updating which wipes out any adjustments to the images.

I am on a Mac Mini (2014) with 8GB RAM, 1TB Disk, running latest version of OS (10.14.3) Mojave, all files on local disk, nothing external (except the Time Machine backups). I have full administrative privileges and full access to all files and folders on my Mac
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for sending that info to support. One of our techs will be in touch via email as soon as possible.

Bruce Tracy

Received the download link for version 3.0.1 this morning. So here's an update of what I have found as of today:
    This has also been sent to support. I'm including this here for others to follow along, and possibly add their observations.

So, the saga continues.

I’ve been able to isolate the issue to the process that runs at start up of Luminar that puts up the message “Updating Image Gallery”. Whatever it is doing at this point (it seems the backups are made during this point when the setting for backups is “once per session") is totally unreliable. Sometimes it works and everything is fine, sometimes it does not work and makes a mess of things.

Here’s what I did this morning:

1. Downloaded 3.0.1 disk image from the link.
    2. Downloaded 3.0.2 installer from the website.
    3. Ran AppCleaner to remove my install of Luminar 3.
    Note: I removed everything that showed up in AppCleaner, including: 
    DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar3
    I figured I had it on Time Machine backup and can restore if I needed.
    I did not remove the catalog

4. Did not empty the trash or reboot my Mac

5. Reset my license on the website and copied the activation code.
    6. Ran the 3.0.2 installer, and activated the new install.
    7. Everything looks good. Checked the folder structure, ratings, and edits. Everything was there.
    8. Quit Luminar and Reopened Luminar.
    9. The message “Updating Image Gallery” appeared for about a second, then cleared.
    10. Checked the folder structure, ratings, and edits. Everything was there.
    11. Made a couple of edits.
    12. Changed backup setting to “once per session”.
    13. Quit Luminar and Reopened Luminar.
    14. The message “Updating Image Gallery” briefly appeared and cleared.
    15. Checked the folder structure, ratings, and edits. Everything was there.
    16. Quit Luminar and Reopened Luminar.
    17. The message “Updating Image Gallery” appeared and stayed there for about 5 seconds, then cleared. It never moved from 0%.
    18. Checked the folder structure, ratings, and edits. Everything was there. Seems to be okay.
    19. Quit Luminar and had a snack - very important ;-)
    20. Reopened Luminar and got the message “Updating Image Gallery”. After a few seconds it moved to about 3% then cleared.
    21. Checked the folder structure - it was all there. File counts - all zero. Ratings and edits - gone. Quit Luminar.
    22. Reopened Luminar holding down the option key. Selected a backup file that was prior to when things went haywire.
    23. Luminar opened and the folder structure was there as was all image counts, ratings and edits.
    24. Thought - might as well continue closing and reopening Luminar.
    25. Quit Luminar and Reopened Luminar.
    26. The message “Updating Image Gallery” appeared for a few seconds then cleared.
    27. Luminar did not return to the image I was last viewing or editing.
    28. Checked the folder structure which should be:
    >Pictures
    >Images
    >2017
    >”subfolder(s) with images"
    >2018
    >”subfolder(s) with images"
    >2019
    >”subfolder with images
    >”subfolder with videos

What showed up was:

> Pictures
    >Images

None of the subfolders within “Images” showed up, but the Image count was correct and the images show up in the Library view. All ratings and edits are there. I am able to edit images and change ratings. Just can’t see my folder structure. Note: there is no option in the right click menu dropdown for Images to “locate folder/Images” as was suggested by Richard Harrington.

29. Quit Luminar and Reopened Luminar.

30. The message “Updating Image Gallery” appeared for a few seconds then cleared.
    31. No change from step 28.
    32. Quit Luminar and Reopened Luminar holding down the option key. Selected a backup file prior to problems and restored.
    33. Everything back to normal.
    34. Quit Luminar and Reopened Luminar.
    35. The message “Updating Image Gallery” appeared for a few seconds, changed to about 3%, then cleared.
    36. Checked the folder structure and found that the subfolder with images under folder 2019 was duplicated, but only one had the arrow for the subfolder with videos. Both showed the same images in the Library.
    37. Quit Luminar and Reopened Luminar.
    38. The message “Updating Image Gallery” appeared briefly then cleared without changing from 0%.
    39. Checked the folder structure and it is back to normal - as in what it should be. All ratings and edits are good.
    40. Quit Luminar and Reopened Luminar.
    41. The message “Updating Image Gallery” appeared for about 5 seconds then changed to 3% then cleared.
    42. We are now back to step 22. Everything is gone.
    43. Perhaps I should not have had the snack at step 19, because it all went south after that! ;-)
    44. Even so, I’m stopping for lunch now. Will restore to version 3.0.1 after lunch.

My impressions thus far:
    1. I really like the speed improvements. The app loads faster, it is significantly faster to switch from Library view to Edit view (now less than a second  to no more than 2 seconds, in version 3.0.1 this would take 30 seconds or more!).
    2. The editing process is much faster. I’m able to do more in less time.
    3. I don’t like the instability and trashing the folders, image counts, ratings, and edits, and thus having to restore from backup all the time.
    4. I don’t like that the >File >Catalog >Restore from backup will not allow me to select a file to restore from. The only way to restore is to quit Luminar and reopen Luminar while holding down the option key.
    5. I don’t like the “Updating Image Gallery” message and at this point think that whatever it is doing is unnecessary and that maybe it should be removed. This could fix the instability and issues I’m seeing. Just saying.

45. Reset my license on the website and copied the activation code.
    46. Ran AppCleaner and removed Luminar 3 - all folders and files! Just as before. Not the catalog folder.
    47. Installed Luminar 3 version 3.0.1 from the disk image link.
    48. Seems Luminar activated itself on install from the link - okay.
    49. All back to normal in version 3.0.1

Helena Carter

Hi Bruce,

Thank you so much for your hard work reporting that and for sending this info to Support Team as well. Our technical department is investigating your case, we'll get back to you as soon as we find solution.

Please, get back to us if you have any other info on the case. Have a great day!

Tony Collins

Wow - as someone who has lost edits - with the folder scrambling identified above together with all the other issues people are reporting - it really does seem that luminar is fundamentally broken and not fit for purpose right now - even (or especially) after the update to 3.02

I have a feeling that the devs are simply scrambling around with no real idea what is going on or how to fix it.

I've even had some images  disappear from my system (before 3.02, but not sure when), and though I have no evidence that this is due to Luminar I'm simply assuming it probably is.

I'm going to make sure I've got a triple back up of all my image files before opening luminar again, and I'll just have to assume any work I do in luminar is likely to be lost at some future date.

Helena Carter

Hello Tony,

Please, accept my apologies for the situation happened.

Our developers are aware of these issues, but currently we're collecting information from our customers in order to investigate them.

Please, send the following information to support@skylum.com

Please send us your catalog:

1. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    2. Right-click the Luminar Catalog folder > click Compress and wait for the process to finish.
    3. Send us the .zip file you created in Step 2. We recommend a free service WeTransfer for that.

If you can recall, it would help us a lot if you could tell us which folders were added to your Luminar Catalog and where they were located: on an internal or external drive. You can make a screenshot of the filesystem, for example.

If your copy of Luminar is crashing, send us crash reports:

1. Open Finder.
    2. Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    3. Paste the following path: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and click Go.
    4. In the folder that opens find the most recent files with Luminar 3 in their names and attach them to your email.

In order for us to directly track this issue, please also send us your Hardware UUID:

1. Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
    2. Click About This Mac.
    3. In the window that opens, click System Report.
    4. In the window that opens, make sure Hardware is selected in the column on the left.
    5. Locate the Hardware UUID string, copy it, and paste it to the email.
    Tony Collins

Bruce - I'm with you. I desperately want Skylum and Luminar to succeed here. I love what the product can do with editing, and while the dam doesn't have 10% of the features of lightroom, I think when all the planned updates are made it will do 90% of what I need.

But I am really worried about the current situation. This is the second update and stability (especially around not losing people's hard work) is getting worse. It is difficult to see what Skylum can do to restore my (and presumably others) confidence to trust it with our valuable editing time. (in my case I'm fairly certain my lost edits were lost with 3.01, but I haven't yet had the time to comb through time machine to find out where)

And as you point out, the devs don't really seem to know how to do it. Your comment about the legacy backup restore method being a case in point. They've introduced a new backup method, but haven't even considered to fix (or even remove) the old feature that is rendered obsolete.

Tony Collins

PS - in the interest of fairness:

I found my missing images mentioned above (Not the lost edits) - so that at least is not a fault of Luminar.

Tony Collins

@Helen - where can I download 3.01? I've tried emailing support and they've just replied with a boilerplate answer which was no help at all.

Thanks.

Marcus Brändle

I would also need this link as I don't trust 3.0.2 to handle my photos for the moment.

Thanks

Bruce Tracy

Here's the link to the 3.0.1 version: https://luminar3.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/mac/Luminar3_3_0_1.dmg

You will want to manage your license on the web site though. login to your account and go to "My Software" in the dropdown under your name in the upper right corner. I used the reset all license option.

Then use AppCleaner to remove version 3.0.2, then install 3.0.1 from the link above.

Let me know if you have any issues

Tony Collins

Thanks bruce - I'm currently in the middle of some interesting 3.02 experiments:

So far - removed L3 with appcleaner. Renamed catalog.
    Timemachine restore catalog from 7th Feb - (3.01 version.

Install and Launch L3 (3.02 - I hadn't seen your link above) wait a while  - no missing edits (except those made after 7th.

Rename catalog (add date to end of folder.

Repeat with catalog from 12th feb. - No missing edits (except those made after 12th)

Repeat with catalogue from 17th - now I have later edits, but missing earlier edits.

Trying now with restore from 16th - OK, 16th no missing edits, but I'm missing the work I did on the 17th - which was significant. It would seem that some crash or other on the 17th (V3.01) trashed some of my edits.

So is there anyway of copying work from one catalog to another?

Bruce Tracy

Please detail what you are doing here. I am very interested to see what these experiments are and the results.

Tony Collins

See above.

Please sign in to leave a comment.